Shark encounter SLP gvleston side flats 7/1

Floundapounda122

Post by Floundapounda122 »

So I had always known there were tons of sharks in west bay. I had seen them crushing baits in green lights at night, but never seen one while wading the flats. Today I was wading redfish cove (bay water drive) on the east side of San Luis pass( these might be called rooster flats but I’m not sure). The day went very well early on with three solid trout on the stringer. I had my girlfriend with me and this was her first time wading bayside. She is generally scared of the water especially water where she can’t see her feet. So at the end of our wade we decided to pack it up and head to the beach. As were walking back to the grass line I’m constantly on the lookout because I know we’re close to the pass and there are a lot of sharks that move through these flats. We get about 40 yards out from the grass line/shoreline and i notice a weird object out of the corner of my eye. Yes you guessed it, there was about a 5ft bullshark crushing bait right between us and the shoreline. I was hoping my girlfriend hadn’t seen it but she had and she panicked and I told her to go around the shark as I was going to try to lure it to me with the trout I had and then jump on shore right when it got to me( at this point we were closer to shore). She decides to take off back towards the middle of the flat and into deeper water. So I take my stringer off and chunk it into the grass linebecause I knew if I ran back out to her with the stringer on it would give a greater chance for the shark to follow me out to her. I proceeded to go get her. We ended up working around the shark and getting back to shore. Once we looked up back at the flat we realized there wasn’t just one shark on the flat there were about 5-6. Is there any way I could’ve handled this situation better? Generally what are you supposed to do when you’d see sharks on the flats while wading and you have fish on the stringer? I’m not exactly worried about the 3ft-5ft sharks but what if you see like a 7ft+. I mean I know it’s rarer to see bigger sharks like that but what do you do in that situation?
Tombo

Re: Shark encounter SLP gvleston side flats 7/1

Post by Tombo »

DO NOT PANIC! Easy for me to say as I was not there. Get a kayak and stay in it. Last time my wife went paddling in a kayak was in Cavasso Creek. We say a baby alligator every 50 feet. She never went again.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tombo wrote:DO NOT PANIC! Easy for me to say as I was not there. Get a kayak and stay in it. Last time my wife went paddling in a kayak was in Cavasso Creek. We say a baby alligator every 50 feet. She never went again.
Tom, TPWD captures gators at Goose Island SP and release them in Cavasso Creek. We were coming off Cavasso with a stringer of trout one day, and a game warden was there releasing a 10' gator.

Scariest thing when you're wading is a rattlesnake coming off the bay - don't know what gets in them to make them want to cross. They will also try to climb in your kayak.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I saw 6-7 footer cruising around in one of West Bay coves. In 2 (maybe 2.5) fow. With fin sticking out. Classic "Jaws" style.

In neighboring cove snagged something huge (stingray or shark) in 3 fow -- it was pulling me around for 20 mins before unbuttoning. I got it right next to the kayak, but couldn't lift it to have a look at it.

So, yeah -- there are some godzillas over there... :)
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I've wade fished for years. I never used a stringer mainly for times like this. I used a donet to hold fish. They're a pain to drag but the net most of the time deters sharks and Dolphins from going after my catch- especially trout. I've had a Dolphin make a run at my donet but turned away at the last second and went between my donet and my leg.

Hard to say what to do since I wasn't there but I wouldn't try to lure a shark towards me. I think you did good by getting your trout out of the water. When I see a shark I pick my catch up out of the water, throw it over my shoulder and slowly walk either parallel to it or away from it. Never had one even act like he was interested in me.

Knowing there are sharks in the area would keep me from taking my lady there tho.
CAS

Post by CAS »

I know for a fact that I would have had to have changed my underwear before heading back home if I had this happen to me lmao
Glad yall both came out alright!
I have waded that area several times and never had any run-ins with sharks but after this encounter you just had I likely will not be going back unless I'm on a kayak lol
Floundapounda122

Yaboii wrote:I know for a fact that I would have had to have changed my underwear before heading back home if I had this happen to me lmao
Glad yall both came out alright!
I have waded that area several times and never had any run-ins with sharks but after this encounter you just had I likely will not be going back unless I'm on a kayak lol
I mean I wouldn’t say you shouldn’t go back and wade there because I know for a fact I’m heading back there to do some wade fishing(This Friday actually) because there are a lot of trout and reds that stack up on the grass flat near the gut. I just probably will being a doNet next time instead of a stringer
Floundapounda122

And the good thing about that spot is there’s always someone else out there especially on the weekends so if anything does get hairy(which it most likely won’t) assistances is only about 30 yards away at all times.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

What to do... fish and ignore them. A donet does help. So does a floating cooler. Its a constant fishing near any pass but they are after the fish and not you or her. I think ya'll did fine, I don't think there would be any need to lure the shark away from anyone using the stringer of fish. Also you could just pick the stringer up out of the water while you walk as that would lessen the scent trail.
CAS

Post by CAS »

Hey man to each his own. I would rather take my chances finding fish elsewhere or if indeed the spot is really that hot I'd just take the yaks out.

I know that sharks are not after us but it does happen unfortunately. 21 year old died from 3 sharks literally a week ago (in Bahamas but point is still relevant, a hungry shark is a hungry shark) Father tried to help her but she ended up bleeding out.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/californi ... snorkeling
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The chance of getting attacked by a shark is, statistically less than getting struck by lightening. In most instances, the shark might go after a stringer of fish, but, unless you are in murky water wearing white pants, they, ostensibly, have no interest in you. In conclusion, sharks, while quite unpredictable, do not pose much of a threat to wade fisherman.

That being said, I have not gone into salt water over my knees since I saw the movie 'Jaws. Further, I only fish In salt water from a power boat or kayak.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Yeah, that would have scared the crap outta me! It's strange, back in my younger days I used to surf a whole lot. Sometimes I would even go solo with no one around. Floating out in the line up waiting for a swell a dolphin would would pop up 5' from me. That would always remind me of where I was and what might be lurking around, but I'd always put it out of my mind. Now that I'm older and especially since I started salt water fishing, I don't get out of my kayak! Sharks, gators and snakes gets me puckered up! lol I took a friend once to drum bay and was wading about 20 feet from the bank when I looked back and saw a rattlesnake swimming between me and the shore. I just stood there in awe and watched it swim on by. I had never seen a rattlesnake before until I started fishing the bays.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yaboii wrote:Hey man to each his own. I would rather take my chances finding fish elsewhere or if indeed the spot is really that hot I'd just take the yaks out.
Oh, Im not saying my shorts wouldn't be brown :lol: but if you're already wading.. best thing to do is relax and not make frantic movements... just relax and walk out, get the fish out of the water and avoid them like they did.
impulse

Post by impulse »

If you made the drive to the beach, I wouldn't worry about the sharks.

The drive home... That's much more likely to kill you. And even that's 1 in a million.

Look it up. How many people killed on the roads to the beach vs killed by sharks at the beach.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It's better when you can see them. It's the ones that can't be seen that are the ones that are more of a concern. I've seen some healthy sized sharks in the small surf when it's pretty clear, both fishing off a boat and wading. Had a five footer brush me once. I don't string fish in the surf and just walk up to the truck anything I want to keep, but that's not an option in the bay when wading. I try not to even wipe the fish slime on me below the water line. If I have to wipe the slime off, I'll wipe it on my shoulder.

One time, there was obvious predator sign going after some good sized menhaden concentrated in the surf. The menhaden kept bumping into me trying to escape what was after them. It wasn't trout, ladyfish, Spanish mackerel, bluefish or jack sign and my sixth sense told me I needed to depart, which I did. Listen to the inner voice warning of danger.

One other notable encounter with a shark was wading the Airport flats area of West Matagorda Bay. There's a shallow marsh lake there right by the old Tarmac. It's wade able and only about 1.5-2' deep on a normal type of tide level. It was late in the afternoon in October and the fishing was good for flounder and redfish in the lake. I started to realize something big was in there with me. I was in about a foot of water and whatever it was was out a little deeper. I eased over and there was a 7' shark going after fish. I had a couple of witnesses come over and confirm I wasn't exaggerating. They had an AR-15 with them just in case.

My pilot friend sees big sharks from the air all in that bay and the surf when the water is clear enough to see them. The Mouth of the Brazos is often covered with sharks. When the water clears up, they are all over the bar out off the mouth and easy to spot from a boat. Big ones too.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

I wade fish around sharks all the time; it’s a rare day that I don’t see a shark cruising or busting bait nearby. As what was mentioned above, the sharks only want your fish, and the most dangerous part of your trip is the drive there.
That being said, here are some tips I use to further decrease the odds of getting mistaken for a tasty fish.
1. Don’t use a stringer. Fish on a stringer will bring the sharks to you, and we all know how the strung up fish always want to stay on your leg. I use a floating cooler; it keeps the sharks away, fish fresh, and drinks cold. A good rule of thumb is to switch back to a stringer when the water temps are too cold for wet wading.

2. Don’t wade in the middle of a school of bait. Sharks some times bust through a school of bait with eyes closed and mouth open, and you don’t want to get caught in the middle of that.

3. Don’t panic, sharks smell fear...just kidding, but just as fish have lateral lines that can pick up movement sharks have a much different, but similar way of sensing movement in the water. So instead of splashing to get away, keep calm and just don’t move. (Remember Jurassic park?) splashing may just peak their curiosity.

4. Wash your hands of fish slime, and don’t wipe it on your pants. Need I say more? Also if you catch a fish that’s bleeding ,and it’s not going to be able to swim away, just chunk that sucker as far away as possible. If sharks are near they will find it, and it’s just best they find it further away.

5. Use a net; a struggling fish is like a dinner bell to sharks, so it’s best to just land them as soon as possible. When I land fish around sharks I’ll even lift the net with the splashing fish out of the water.

Remember, ignorance begets fear, so if you take the time to learn about something your scared of, you may find there’s nothing to fear at all.Image
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

What type of sharks am I likely to encounter in all the Texas waters? I've not yet read of any kayak shark attacks here, but they certainly happen in Central/Northern California. I've only seen big Threshers and small-medium Blue sharks in my kayak in SoCal and never saw one in Oregon. They certainly were present in Oregon. They refer to October as Sharktober. The fear of sharks has never stopped me from fishing, but I do think about them. For a long time (in Oregon) I had been considering a SharkShield. Is that less of a necessity here than in Oregon or CA?

I was hit by a whale in SoCal and in Depoe Bay, Oregon the gray whales are usually cruising by very near. Some days I felt like a whale magnet.

If you happen to hook one of these guys, how do you get the damn thing unhooked?

Dave
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Bull sharks are pretty common in bays, rivers, the surf. Black tips are another that you might encounter. Spinner sharks show up in the surf at times and the near shore waters. Bunch of little bonnetheads, sand sharks, there’s a bunch of odds and ends types. Tiger sharks are around along the beachfront.

The mouth of the Brazos river and nearby surf and bars are a great place to see sharks. West Matagorda bay always seems to have more than its share.

I don’t tend to string fish, never in the surf, occasionally in the shallow marsh out of the kayak. I’ve gotten a little concerned wading the surf at times even without stringing fish and have caught sharks on skitterwalks and flies and lost others. I see a lot of sharks in the surf. My buddy strung four trout the other day wading the surf and got one of the trout bit in half.

I’ve never felt concerned while in the kayak about sharks.

Unhooking requires a deft touch and long pliers. Or just cut off the terminal tackle.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

The only time I've worried about a shark was a huge hammerhead cruising along beside the kayak. I was bigger, but not by much. Wading I'm more worried about vibro, hardheads and stingrays than sharks. As far as wading in clear water, I'd much better the devil I can't see than the one I can.

As far as the statistics, they're not correctly applied. A climber or Backcountry hunter has a significantly higher chance of getting struck by lightning than some guy that just goes to the office, bar and home. Same for shark attack. The probabilities are calculated on the entire population, which works for auto travel but for us, not quite so much. Still, your odds are low...sorta.

First time I've posted in two years. Thought the site was going to close.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

karstopo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:32 pm Bull sharks are pretty common in bays, rivers, the surf. Black tips are another that you might encounter. Spinner sharks show up in the surf at times and the near shore waters. Bunch of little bonnetheads, sand sharks, there’s a bunch of odds and ends types. Tiger sharks are around along the beachfront.

The mouth of the Brazos river and nearby surf and bars are a great place to see sharks. West Matagorda bay always seems to have more than its share.

I don’t tend to string fish, never in the surf, occasionally in the shallow marsh out of the kayak. I’ve gotten a little concerned wading the surf at times even without stringing fish and have caught sharks on skitterwalks and flies and lost others. I see a lot of sharks in the surf. My buddy strung four trout the other day wading the surf and got one of the trout bit in half.

I’ve never felt concerned while in the kayak about sharks.

Unhooking requires a deft touch and long pliers. Or just cut off the terminal tackle.
I always bleed my fish as soon as I catch them. I bought a kill bag earlier this year that I now store them in with ice. Some blood inevitability still gets in the water.
IMG_2752.jpg
I was under the belief that Tigers, Hammerheads & Bull Sharks would like to take bites out of people. Am I mistaken?
What danger are hardheads? I thought they were just slimy saltwater catfish?

Dave
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I think the most likely shark encounter and potential attack would be while wading either the surf or a major bay, not that it is particularly likely to happen, it is very unlikely. Don’t string fish, don’t wipe fish blood and guts on your person, that will help lessen any potential risk. I’ve waded the surf a ton and never been attacked. I don’t string fish either. The biggest shark I ever saw well and up close while wading was in a 2’ deep back lake off West Matagorda bay. Might have been 7’. I know a lot of wade fishermen and don’t know any that actually got attacked. Anyone that strings fish will eventually lose fish to sharks, though.

Hardheads are a pain. It’s those fins. They find a way to stick you. My buddy went to the ER with one stuck in his hand. The fins have toxins or toxic bacteria or something that inflicts pain and risks infection. Handle with care.

Worst wading hazard in my opinion are stingrays. I’ve known people that got hit and it can be one of the more agonizing things that can happen to you. One guy passed out from the pain. Stingrays help me stay in the kayak instead of wading.

Vibrio is another real threat, especially to diabetics, or the overweight or middle age men that like to drink a little. Pay close attention to any scrapes or cuts and seek medical attention immediately if any show signs of infection. Vibrio spreads like wildfire and it will tear you up quickly. My dad’s buddy scraped his leg on the trailer, went wade fishing, was in the ER by nightfall and nearly lost his leg and his life. His leg will never be the same. Fiddling with crabs and crab traps is a classic way to pick up a scrape and a nasty vibrio infection. Vibrio thrives in warm brackish water, not full strength saltwater and not freshwater. The kind of water found in many bays. Saharan dust fertilizes vibrio, seriously, that dust from Africa that crosses the Atlantic contains the iron that vibrio thrives on. So does your blood. For some reason, drinking alcohol on a routine basis affects how vibrio interacts with the immune system. Most vibrio victims are chronic, even moderate, drinkers or diabetics.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Spinning sharks are something to see. Sometimes they’ll be hundreds feeding right near the beach. They leap out of the water and spin like a bullet.

It’s very easy to catch sharks soaking bait in the surf. Cut mullet, near the sand, circle hook, voilà, shark. Go out deeper, bigger sharks is the rule. I know of someone that caught an 11’ tiger shark from the sand.