Made it happen with the bow

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Made it happen with the bow

Post by Prof. Salt »

After surgery in January for a broken disc in my neck (and the nerve damage that happened with the injury), I wasn’t sure bow hunting was still going to be an option. After months of recovery I still can’t pull a 60 lb bow, but after turning the bow down to 50 I was (barely) in business. I was only able to sight in the 20 yard pin (I can only pull the bow a few times before losing the ability) so I knew I needed close shots. Saturday the weather was cold and dreary and perfect for deer movement. This guy stayed around for a while and I could see he was at least 3 years old and didn’t have the nice antlers that should have come with age, so I decided to try and take him. At the shot he was quartering away, and I settled the pin on the crease, halfway down the chest. He began to move at the shot, and I worried that the slow/heavy arrow might not arrive before he cleared out. Luckily the arrow hit before he moved towards the exit, but he still managed to twist to face away more than he had been when the arrow was released. Arrow entered where I had aimed, but his twisting resulted in a line that took it between the shoulder and ribs, then out the throat. Not the shot I wanted at all. Still, as he began to run his left front leg was dangling as if broken, and when I picked up the binos to look at the spot where he entered the brush, there was a big spray of blood on the grass and I felt better. He made it almost 75 yards before bleeding out, and my challenge while trailing the deer was to stay out of the bloody grass. Now the fat deer is quartered and iced, waiting for further butchering on Monday.

I’ve been following Ranch Fairy on YouTube for a couple of years now, and his advice on shooting heavy arrows paid off again. A 125 grain Magnus Black Hornet Serrazor and a 100 grain insert drove the arrow through and clipped five ribs before passing through with only 50 lbs. Next time I’ll wait for a full broadside shot just to minimize the chance of this happening again.

Imagescreenshot software
Last edited by Prof. Salt on Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Made it happen with the bow

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Nice job Glen. That is a healthy looking buck. Time for a bit sausage.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Prof. Salt wrote:After surgery in January for a broken disc in my neck (and the nerve damage that happened with the injury), I wasn’t sure bow hunting was still going to be an option. After months of recovery I still can’t pull a 60 lb bow, but after turning the bow down to 50 I was (barely) in business. I was only able to sight in the 20 yard pin (I can only pull the bow a few times before losing the ability) so I knew I needed close shots. Saturday the weather was cold and dreary and perfect for deer movement. This guy stayed around for a while and I could see he was at least 3 years old and didn’t have the nice antlers that should have come with age, so I decided to try and take him. At the shot he was quartering away, and I settled the pin on the crease, halfway down the chest. He began to move at the shot, and I worried that the slow/heavy arrow might not arrive before he cleared out. Luckily the arrow hit before he moved towards the exit, but he still managed to twist to face away more than he had been when the arrow was released. Arrow entered where I had aimed, but his twisting resulted in a line that took it between the shoulder and ribs, then out the throat. Not the shot I wanted at all. Still, as he began to run his left front leg was dangling as if broken, and when I picked up the binos to look at the spot where he entered the brush, there was a big spray of blood on the grass and I felt better. He made it almost 75 yards before bleeding out, and my challenge while trailing the deer was to stay out of the bloody grass. Now the fat deer is quartered and iced, waiting for further butchering on Monday.

I’ve been following Ranch Fairy on YouTube for a couple of years now, and his advice on shooting heavy arrows paid off again. A 125 grain Magnus Black Hornet Serrazor and a 100 grain insert drove the arrow through and clipped five ribs before passing through with only 50 lbs. Next time I’ll wait for a full broadside shot just to minimize the chance of this happening again.

Imagescreenshot software
Great job working thru the injury and finding the right poundage/arrow combo to get it done Prof. Congratulations! I'll have to look at your pic later, my work computer won't let me see it.
I had to give up bow hunting for 8 yrs due to shoulder/neck injury but finally got back into it this year. I went 3 for 3 with my bow, taking a doe, a spike, and this 10 pt. I love bow hunting!
20201202_095106 (3).jpg
(Funny, my work computer will let me upload pics but not download them)
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Great deer! We don't see much nice head gear, and since my goal is to fill the freezer, I tend to let the other family guys chase antlers. I concentrate on heavy-bodied deer and this guy was a perfect candidate. The others wouldn't shoot him, but I just kept seeing a lot of quality meat running around trying to spread small antler genes and thought taking him would be a win-win: Meat for me and hopefully better genetics coming in to breed the does.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Made it happen with the bow

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Prof. Salt wrote:Great deer! We don't see much nice head gear, and since my goal is to fill the freezer, I tend to let the other family guys chase antlers. I concentrate on heavy-bodied deer and this guy was a perfect candidate. The others wouldn't shoot him, but I just kept seeing a lot of quality meat running around trying to spread small antler genes and thought taking him would be a win-win: Meat for me and hopefully better genetics coming in to breed the does.
Finally got on my fon and saw your pic. Man he's a toad and looks mature. Great buck! Oh and I like the rub in the background. Nice touch!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk