Did it again, and suddenly it's time to go back to the water

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Did it again, and suddenly it's time to go back to the water

Post by Prof. Salt »

I watched several larger deer yesterday but they refused to come stand broadside in range. I've got the "turned down" bow sighted in for 20 but beyond that distance it's an unknown and therefore not an option. When this buck finally came in and stopped broadside at 16 yards to watch a doe across the clearing, I punched buck ticket number two. Deer season was a lot of waiting and wondering if the bucks would ever show up but when they did, wow it got busy. In the last two mornings I watched 18 different bucks come and go. Several were better deer than this one, but I was insistent that I could make it happen with the bow and left the gun sitting in the corner of the blind. I'm glad I waited and this guy will get a place among the other European mounts in the spare bedroom/fly tying room.

...now where did I leave that box of crab flies? :D
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Did it again, and suddenly it's time to go back to the water

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Prof. Salt wrote:Image

I watched several larger deer yesterday but they refused to come stand broadside in range. I've got the "turned down" bow sighted in for 20 but beyond that distance it's an unknown and therefore not an option. When this buck finally came in and stopped broadside at 16 yards to watch a doe across the clearing, I punched buck ticket number two. Deer season was a lot of waiting and wondering if the bucks would ever show up but when they did, wow it got busy. In the last two mornings I watched 18 different bucks come and go. Several were better deer than this one, but I was insistent that I could make it happen with the bow and left the gun sitting in the corner of the blind. I'm glad I waited and this guy will get a place among the other European mounts in the spare bedroom/fly tying room.

...now where did I leave that box of crab flies? :D
Very nice Prof! Love those daggers for brow tines. Now for some butterflied bacon wrapped backstrap....mmmmm!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Matagordashuffler

Re: Did it again, and suddenly it's time to go back to the water

Post by Matagordashuffler »

Nice one, Id rather bow hunt than rifle hunt nowadays . You have to get up close and personal with stick and string.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Did it again, and suddenly it's time to go back to the water

Post by Prof. Salt »

I don't even check my rifles before season anymore. In fact, I got a custom longbow and now I'm leaving the compound at home most of the time. It forces me to be disciplined and limit myself to shots inside of 15 yards, but it takes me right back to the level of excitement I had when I was a kid.