What kayak is right for me?

Fisher1979

What kayak is right for me?

Post by Fisher1979 »

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner with 0 experience and I need some help to choose a Kayak! I really like the nucanoe pursuit but I just realized it is probably not a good kayak for surf launching. I am 5.8 and 165 lbs. What fishing kayak do you think is right for me? Surf launching is very important for me! after a quick search in the forum I think I like the Malibu x13 and Tarpon 140. What kayak do you think is right for me? What other options do I have other than the 2 mentioned?
all opinions are appreciated.

Apologize for bad english :mrgreen:

Edit: I don't have a truck or trailer, so car topping on a honda CIVIC or a COROLLA is my only option.
I wanna paddle, no pedal at all, so I need an easy kayak to paddle

Thank you!
Last edited by Fisher1979 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SWFinatic

Re: What kayak is right for me?

Post by SWFinatic »

What is your budget? How will you transport? Any storage limitations? Do you prefer paddle or peddle kayaks (this is also related to budget)?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Since you are new to kayak fishing I suggest spending time in the bays around shallow water to get comfortable being in a kayak. Once you go offshore you can't really stand up, stretch your legs, get out of your kayak, etc. Practice, practice, practice deep water re-entry. You need to be comfortable in your kayak before doing off shore trips.

I would also look at Ocean Kayak and Viking Kayaks.
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

SWFinatic wrote:What is your budget? How will you transport? Any storage limitations? Do you prefer paddle or peddle kayaks (this is also related to budget)?
I should car top, and I need a paddle-only kayak. My budget is (up to) 1600, I have no idea about storage but anyway I will be carrying some fishing gears and need a storage for my fish!

Thank you
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I second Viking and Ocean Kayaks. Specifically the Viking Profish Reload or a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 (not to be confused with the Ocean Kayak Prowler) or Trident 15. The Trident 15 has in hull access and enough storage space to hold a limit of kingfish which is handy for offshore. A Wilderness Tarpon 140 would also be a good option but lacks storage. Since this will be your first yak I would keep resale value in mind in case whatever you buy isn't what you'd hoped for. You can find Native Slayers (14') and Feel Free Moken 14's but they're generally harder to sell than those I mentioned.

If you're interested in offshore kayak fishing I'd look at 14' minimum in length. A rudder is a big plus.

Let us know how your search goes.
Fisher1979

Post by Fisher1979 »

Neumie wrote:Since you are new to kayak fishing I suggest spending time in the bays around shallow water to get comfortable being in a kayak. Once you go offshore you can't really stand up, stretch your legs, get out of your kayak, etc. Practice, practice, practice deep water re-entry. You need to be comfortable in your kayak before doing off shore trips.

I would also look at Ocean Kayak and Viking Kayaks.
Thank you Neiumie