White Bass - It was a good run!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

White Bass - It was a good run!

Post by Prof. Salt »

I always try to make my way up to the local river for the white bass run, and this year the Nueces was so low that it required a bit of searching to find suitable spots. It quickly became clear that power boats could not launch or navigate in the river, so I looked forward to the quiet times fishing without the big crowds. After putting in the miles to locate good structure, I was relieved when a few fish started to show up in the shallow spots. The fish often moved and were not usually aggressive in biting, but that's all part of the fun. I knew fish were in the river somewhere, so I would keep searching and casting into every likely looking spot until I located them. Many trips featured over a hundred fish being released, and a little Schminnow style fly that I was tying up worked great. It pushes a little bit of water on the retrieve, so I could get attention by making sharp, short strips or get a different kind of attention with smooth and slower strips of the fly line. One approach would work for a while and then go cold, so I'd switch it up and continue catching fish. Winds became a problem for the 2wt a few times, so I switched to the 4 wt and casted into the wind as needed.

The run is just about over now and I managed 1,031 fish on the fly. Not a bad year for such low water levels!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: White Bass - It was a good run!

Post by Ron Mc »

lotsa eats there - great report and photo.

Also for folks north, note the white bass runs go with the redbuds - the good runs in the Guadalupe and Highland Lakes arms are yet to peak, and below Center Point and Ingram, you can catch white bass into June.

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Everyone should read Glenn's(ProfSalt) article on White Bass on the Fly in the March 26 issue of Saltwater Angler Magazine, page 40. You can find it online at www.saltyangler.com. Good read. Thanks, Prof! TexasJim
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

TexasJim wrote:Everyone should read Glenn's(ProfSalt) article on White Bass on the Fly in the March 26 issue of Saltwater Angler Magazine, page 40. You can find it online at http://www.saltyangler.com. Good read. Thanks, Prof! TexasJim
Glad it found someone who got some use out of it!

...now if I could just get the editor to quit monkeying with the punctuation in every article I submit. :monkey: It flowed better and was technically correct when I submitted it. :?