Old Fishing Treasures... [emoji226]

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Old Fishing Treasures... [emoji226]

Post by Dandydon »

My handyman cleaned out a friend's old storage locker and got to keep anything of value found.

It was mostly all junk, but down in a corner he found three laminated Hook 'N Line fishing maps, "with GPS!" They're only a couple of years old, so maybe the reef markings are current (post Hurricane Harvey). With all these fancy online maps, does anybody use the old school fold-out maps anymore? It's a lot to carry around in a yak.

The second item was in its original 80s plastic box, "As Seen on TV!" The old TV commercials showed short videos of people landing big fish, on bays, lakes, even offshore.

Yes, the "All New BANJO MINNOW," the world's first genetic response fishing lure! Three different sizes from 2-6 inches, in a bunch of wild colors, some glitter w/ holographic sides. 110 total pieces. The plastic seems durable.

This morning a friend told me he had slayed Galveston Trout and Redfish years ago with the 6" blue/clear Banjo minnow at the bottom of the photo.

Has anybody had success with them?
I'll be trying all of them to try out-fishing these young upstarts like Yak Boi and Jonathan.nesby. Jon might go fishing tonight. Guess he likes that dark Moon. Tides look great.

Sometimes what we throw is as important as where we throw it.

Yassir.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Old Fishing Treasures... [emoji226]

Post by Ron Mc »

When we visited Neumie's Copano digs in late Feb, I snapped this photo of his wall display.
a nice collection of Bingo Plugging Shorty Shrimp

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

This is my Great-Grandfather's last fishing license; he passed away in 1964.

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

$ 2.15? Outrageous! How far we've come in the Great State of Taxes. Thanks for sharing, Josh.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Score, Captain. I think I have some of those banjo minnows myself. As I recall, they were marketed as bass baits, but this guy makes it work on saltwater fish.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, Shoffer. I opened up my BANJO LURES package and followed the directions to rig up a few lures in different sizes and colors. Instead of conventional jigheads they provide curled hooks to insert into the nose of the soft lure.

They look a little weird but I'm determined to catch some legal gamefish come Hell or high water. I'm hoping to use these to teach our new TKF young guns how we old guys GIT 'ER Done. Yassir.

Yes, I'm talking about Yak Boi, jonathan. nesby, Mr. Dangle Dong and Ms. Hot Panties. Prepare to get BANJO'D!
Attachments
20210513_083440.jpg
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

I don't usually post on this forum, I'm a BTB guy, but used to be an inshore guy. I'm old and have seen a lot and this thread brings back some good memories.

Yes, I still have and use the old Hook N Line maps, as well as other paper resources, such as topo maps. Nowadays, I mainly use them to program coordinates into my basic GPS. If I had to, I could still use the maps, and their landmarks, to triangulate to things like shell reefs, like we did in the old days.

That display of Pluggin Shorties is beautiful. I have caught lots of specks on those lures, as well as the other big lure of the 60s, the Bingo.

I remember the Banjo Minnow TV commercials well. Although I've never used them, I'm sure they catch fish. Fish are not nearly as smart and discriminating as some would like to believe. Don't forget, the original lures were things like shells and pieces of bone that the Polynesians, and others, devised hundreds of years ago, and they worked. I've seen times the trout were so ravenous that a buddy and I would dig through our tackle boxes to try to find anything they WOULDN'T bite.

Anyway guys. Thanks for the memories.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Bigfost, enjoyed your golden memories, too. Please post here more often.

Old guys who can remember cool fishing stuff always welcome!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

How about a green Penn on a merchant rod built from Harrington blank

Last edited by Ron Mc on Sun May 16, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

That's some cool old stuff, Ron! Old ain't bad around here.

My very first fishing reel was a green Penn spinning reel that got lost 20 years ago. Wish I still had it.