To swivel or not to swivel?

2 Weight Willie

To swivel or not to swivel?

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

I have heard different opinions on this some people say go for it. Others swear against it. What do yall think??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: To swivel or not to swivel?

Post by Ron Mc »

always with spinning tackle to prevent line twist.

Always a good idea with spoons for any tackle.

Here's what I use, titanium-wire bite traces with micro swivels and snap hooks

unfortunately, Mako in Ukraine won't post to USA any more, I can't get more of these, and no one else makes any leaders quite this good or small

A lot of people simply tie a very small swivel between their casting line and leader.

I handed one of the Mako swivel traces to Donny in Feb, and he released 30 redfish.

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I don't use swivels unless I'm pulling a spoon or bait (like trolling a ribbon fish offshore). You just have to be aware of things that can cause line twists like after boating a fish and letting it just hang there and spin while you try to grab it, etc. Watch your lure when you make a cast. If you see it spinning a lot in the air (like a wake bait can sometimes do) than adding a swivel will help. On lures like soft plastics and jerk baits I feel like it affects the action of the lure in a negative way.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

My opinion: YMMV. If you need a swivel, it needs to swivel, easily. Barrel swivels, though cheap, won't reliably swivel. Ball bearing swivels, which cost WAAY more, will swivel, and prevent or reduce line twist. But, they aren't sealed, and salt water will dry inside them, and cause them to lock up. They need to be rinsed in fresh water after a saltwater fishing trip. A shot of spray lube is also a good move. TexasJim, stepping down off soapbox....................
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: To swivel or not to swivel?

TexasJim wrote:My opinion: YMMV. If you need a swivel, it needs to swivel, easily. Barrel swivels, though cheap, won't reliably swivel. Ball bearing swivels, which cost WAAY more, will swivel, and prevent or reduce line twist. But, they aren't sealed, and salt water will dry inside them, and cause them to lock up. They need to be rinsed in fresh water after a saltwater fishing trip. A shot of spray lube is also a good move. TexasJim, stepping down off soapbox....................
Thank you sir

2 Weight Willie

Thank you Ron and Finatic as well

Ramsdl52

Post by Ramsdl52 »

I only use swivels on spoons and carolina rigs. double uni knot free line has served me well over the last 20 years fishing with no line twist.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Check out Tsunami Pro Strong Swivels. The size 8 is tiny but has a real 50 lb break strength. I use them for all my offshore leaders and they are impressively small and spin very well even though they aren't ball bearing swivels. The material doesn't easily rust and they're black, which is a plus for hiding them from the fish.
2 Weight Willie

Prof. Salt wrote:Check out Tsunami Pro Strong Swivels. The size 8 is tiny but has a real 50 lb break strength. I use them for all my offshore leaders and they are impressively small and spin very well even though they aren't ball bearing swivels. The material doesn't easily rust and they're black, which is a plus for hiding them from the fish.
Thank you;)

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

BTW, I found 5-kg Dragon brand titanium-wire micro traces from Fishing Mart in Poland.
Had to order 20 to round out cart min purchase, and I'm set for a long time.
They're not quite as nicely finished as the Mako, but will more than do the inshore job.
They also offer to 15 kg, which will do the offshore job.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:BTW, I found 5-kg Dragon brand titanium-wire micro traces from Fishing Mart in Poland.
They're not quite as nicely finished as the Mako, but will more than do the inshore job.
Thats Image also what was that other company u found earlier that u said u'd try?

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I haven’t used one other than in bait fishing for years, but all the points about using swivels for spinning tackle and spoons are good. Seems like I had some open up on redfish way back when and that might speak to the quality of the swivel. I don’t really use spinning tackle much, never acquire a taste for it, and with baitcasting gear swivels may not be so essential. Spoons aren’t anything I fish with much either. Cannot think of a time where I heard anyone using swivels with fly tackle. Tippet rings, yes, swivels, no.

Many, many Years ago I remember surf fishing with plugs and spoons and the Spanish mackerel and bluefish would tend to hit the swivel instead of the lure. Swivels, some anyway, back then would soon oxidize or rot and then fall apart. Pulled open by a fish or oxidized swivels tended to point me towards a swivel free fishing experience. Once bitten, twice shy.
2 Weight Willie

karstopo wrote:I haven’t used one other than in bait fishing for years, but all the points about using swivels for spinning tackle and spoons are good. Seems like I had some open up on redfish way back when and that might speak to the quality of the swivel. I don’t really use spinning tackle much, never acquire a taste for it, and with baitcasting gear swivels may not be so essential. Spoons aren’t anything I fish with much either. Cannot think of a time where I heard anyone using swivels with fly tackle. Tippet rings, yes, swivels, no.

Many, many Years ago I remember surf fishing with plugs and spoons and the Spanish mackerel and bluefish would tend to hit the swivel instead of the lure. Swivels, some anyway, back then would soon oxidize or rot and then fall apart. Pulled open by a fish or oxidized swivels tended to point me towards a swivel free fishing experience. Once bitten, twice shy.
My my my