Waterproof case for Iphone???

InsulationGuy16

Waterproof case for Iphone???

Post by InsulationGuy16 »

Just starting Kayaking again. I am sure i will have many rollovers. Need to keep iphone close by if i go early in the morning. Not telling Company i am in Rockport for two months, off and on.
I guess the problem is not being able to activate the home button through the plastic?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Waterproof case for Iphone???

Post by Ron Mc »

My phone goes deep in a Pelican case inside the lap hatch.
I'm easiest to find on VHF.
Understand your plight and need. I'm sure you can find waterproof I-phone cases on Amazon, Otterbox, LifeProof, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iphone+water ... _sb_noss_2
and equally sure you can find Ram and Scotty mounts for them.
https://www.amazon.com/kayak-phone-moun ... hone+mount
impulse

Post by impulse »

I keep mine in a big empty plastic jar from peanut butter. The family size with the 4" lid.

It's cheap (free), very waterproof and it floats high in the water even with a heavy set of keys, a wallet, a flashlight, and a whistle in it. I wrapped a piece of reflective tape around it with my name and address just in case I turtle somewhere, like the beach on my way back in...

Not an IPhone, BTW, I'm on Android. But the concept's the same. Admittedly, I'm a little slow picking up calls, but it's easy to 'splain I was on another call, or whatever. To me, the important thing is absolute protection from a dunking.
Last edited by impulse on Fri May 14, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Welcome to the wacky yak world of soaked & ruined cellphones!

Shoffer and I each lost our precious cellphones into murky baywaters on separate fishing trips. And when lawyers lose cellphones it's a big freaking deal.

So Shoffer did some research and we both got Lifeproof waterproof cases on his Apple and my Galaxy phone. They have worked well for about 4 years.

But out of caution we also keep the phones in waterproof dry bags.

Good luck and if your boss telephones, don't let him hear any seagulls in the background, hello...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Life proof all the way. I've taken many underwater videos with mine.
I got a free replacement when I punctured my screen cover dropping it on a sharp rock.
I like the peanut butter jar idea for flotation.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Not only Lifeproof case, but a waterproof case without flotation is worth zero. I have a Lifeproof Life Jacket I use around mine, but I am still rocking an Iphone 6s.
Capture.JPG
Lifeproof has discontinued these items, so I have no advice for those with the newer model Iphones or Androids.
impulse

Post by impulse »

impulse wrote:I keep mine in a big empty plastic jar from peanut butter. The family size with the 4" lid.

It's cheap (free), very waterproof and it floats high in the water even with a heavy set of keys, a wallet, a flashlight, and a whistle in it. I wrapped a piece of reflective tape around it with my name and address just in case I turtle somewhere, like the beach on my way back in...
I'd add that I keep another peanut butter jar with a roll of nice dry toilet paper. Because you never know when that may come in handy. The jars with the 4" lids are the best.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

your system and mine both make it tough to field calls
InsulationGuy16

Post by InsulationGuy16 »

Ingenious but I don't eat Peanut Butter!!! LOLLLLLL
I love the idea plus have it in a case when I drop it opening the jar.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I use a smart watch with my phone buried in a hatch surrounded by a plastic baggy. I can answer the phone on my watch and/or see who the caller is. If its important, I paddle to a safe place and call back.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

impulse wrote:I'd add that I keep another peanut butter jar with a roll of nice dry toilet paper. Because you never know when that may come in handy
A 32 wipe travel size pack of Huggies baby wipes, guys. They are compact, clean better, and come already packaged in a water-tight package. Leave it in the crate and pull it out when needed.
Capture.JPG
You're welcome.
impulse

Post by impulse »

shoffer wrote:
impulse wrote:I'd add that I keep another peanut butter jar with a roll of nice dry toilet paper. Because you never know when that may come in handy
A 32 wipe travel size pack of Huggies baby wipes, guys. They are compact, clean better, and come already packaged in a water-tight package. Leave it in the crate and pull it out when needed.

You're welcome.
Yup. It ain't glamorous like IPhones, but that's the kind of thing that can make or break a day on the water.