Cajun/Creole Season Blend

Neumie
Site Admin

Cajun/Creole Season Blend

Post by Neumie »

I've been tinkering with a recipe for a cajun/creole blend the past couple years and wanted to share it. An issue I have with store bought blends are they're either too spicy or too salty. So I came up with this blend which is on the savory side and allows me modify the spice or salt level depending on what I'm cooking or who I'm cooking for. This is great for blackening fish and I also use it as a base for shrimp/crawfish boils.

Admittedly, there's quite a few ingredients and some specialty things here, but it's mighty tasty.

6 T of Kosher Salt
3 T of Course Black Pepper
2 T of White Pepper
4 T of Celery Seed (ground)
4 T of Dried Bell Pepper (ground)
3 T of Onion Powder
3 T of Garlic Powder
2 T of Dried Leaf Oregano (ground)
2 T of Dried Leaf Basil (ground)
2 T of Dried Leaf Thyme (ground)
3 T of Cayenne Pepper
3 T of Hungarian Paprika
3 T of Spanish Paprika

Yields 2.5 cups

Recipe modified on 09/30/2022
JW FunGuy

Re: Homemade Cajun/Creole Seasoning Blend

Post by JW FunGuy »

Let me know what time to be there! :D

Sounds like a great blend.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

makes you lick redfish ribs just like they're pork ribs

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Nice looks really good! Thanks for sharing. Back in my BBQ cook-off days I made all my own rubs. Many HEB's have a bulk spice section where most of these ingredients can be found.

Couple of questions. Are you using whole celery seed or ground celery seed? Are you ordering the dried bell pepper or have you found a local source?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:Nice looks really good! Thanks for sharing. Back in my BBQ cook-off days I made all my own rubs. Many HEB's have a bulk spice section where most of these ingredients can be found.

Couple of questions. Are you using whole celery seed or ground celery seed? Are you ordering the dried bell pepper or have you found a local source?
I use whole celery seed, it's small enough not to worry about grinding it down; imo. (edit: I now grind it)

I bought dried/dehydrated bell pepper on Amazon and grind it down every time I make a fresh batch.

I make my own chili powder and dry rub as well (for pork and poultry; beef just needs salt & pepper)
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Gotcha. Homemade chili powder has so much more flavor than store bought. I was doing it for a while but it takes me a long time to make it.