Looking for a fast kayak?

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Looking for a fast kayak?

Post by Prof. Salt »

Viking makes an odd looking but sleek/fast boat called the Oxygen. I have been paddling a loaner for a few weeks and it can hit 8mph on flat water which is fun, but the real adventure takes place on the open bay when the wind is really whipping. Last night after work winds were blowing 21-31 and I hit 13mph on the kayak, but on this particular kayak the speed feels so much faster than that. My Stealth has hit 15mph in similar conditions but I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't have a gps on board because I had total control and nothing felt "on the edge". Control in choppy conditions is a skill that takes time to learn on a skinny boat like the 18' long 24" wide Oxygen but I'm getting there quickly. With water around 80 degrees, falling off the kayak is just a brief "cooling off" period before jumping right back on the waves, lol. I didn't put this one up on YouTube, but it's on the TKF Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/wgmadden/video ... 4394472417
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Looking for a fast kayak?

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for sharing such thrilling kayak speed racing, Professor. I'm impressed because my portable GPS once clocked my Outback at 5 mph, but I was pedaling AND paddling like a crazed demon. Can't keep that up for long.

Those narrow dart-like kayaks are amazing, but not for me because I might capsize. So my plastic chariots have always been at least 34" wide.

Quick correction: Last Spring my Outback attained 7 mph while Kickingback towed me w/ his powerful trolling motor mounted in his Hobie PA. Thanks, Charlie!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Vikings are so expensive tho...was looking at them when looking for a new kayak a few months ago...thats fast tho, 8. Wow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Expensive is a relative term. Compared to many other kayaks, yes. Others like Hobie's are even higher priced. If you want to save money, get the kayak you want. First you will keep it longer, second is you will save money by not selling at a loss the kayak you bought as a compromise. Like I did .
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Yeah, tombo: In guitars and amplifiers, there's a saying: Buy once, Cry once. TexasJim
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

the fastest of the plastic SOTs was the originial hull Wilderness Tarpon160
when they brought out the tankwell 160i model they flattened the hull which slowed it down
Attachments
0763_666.jpg
product_p_1436D_01_1500.1.jpg