We are our own worst enemy....

Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

We are our own worst enemy....

Post by Ultrastealth »

There are some boat ramps that now ban kayakers, and there are unfortunately some legitimate reasons why. My son was trying to launch his boat Saturday morning at the Brazoria County public ramp, and kayakers were blocking both ramps. On one side was a guy who backed his kayak trailer down the ramp and then spent the next 20 minutes putting his seat, tackle, and other crap on the kayak while blocking the ramp. Get your yak ready before you back down the ramp. It's common courtesy. On the other side were three guys fishing a tournament who put their kayaks in the water then sat there and smoked while they waited for the designated launch time for the tourney. This his how we lose the right to use launches. I try to avoid boat launches anyway, but there are places that can only be accessed via a boat launch, and it's the lowest denominator among us who ruins it for us.
Last edited by Ultrastealth on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWFinatic

Re: We are our own worst enemy....

Post by SWFinatic »

I haven't heard about ramps banning kayaks from launching but not surprising. I've been seeing what you're talking about for years. Saw it again yesterday at Decker in Austin. This guy backed his truck down the ramp and stopped just shy of the water but still blocking the ramp, got out and unstrapped his kayak, loaded his rods and tackle into his kayak then dropped his Boondox landing gear and pushed his kayak out of the truck bed into the water. :roll:
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

SWFinatic wrote:I haven't heard about ramps banning kayaks from launching but not surprising. I've been seeing what you're talking about for years. Saw it again yesterday at Decker in Austin. This guy backed his truck down the ramp and stopped just shy of the water but still blocking the ramp, got out and unstrapped his kayak, loaded his rods and tackle into his kayak then dropped his Boondox landing gear and pushed his kayak out of the truck bed into the water. :roll:
I pull out of the way near the ramp, but not blocking it, get my yak off the truck and load everything onto it, put it on a kayak cart and wheel it down the ramp, but way to one side, so that people can still launch. I then go and park my truck and take off. Look, I fully realize that there are plenty of boaters who block ramps while they fiddle with stuff too, and they are just as wrong.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

ahh, a favorite spot with a chain across the ramp blocking boat trailers.
Yeah, we can stage and rig here on this private ramp, but if a boat trailer had permission to launch, we would be staging on the grass.

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ron Mc wrote:ahh, a favorite spot with a chain across the ramp blocking boat trailers.
Yeah, we can stage and rig here on this private ramp, but if a boat trailer had permission to launch, we would be staging on the grass.
Just curious, but is it legal to launch a kayak on a chained off area?

I've seen numerous private launches with chains barring entry to boat trailers that I'd love to use, but always figured it's illegal.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Ramps? Ramps? We don't need no stinking ramps. That's the beauty of kayak fishing.

Give me a nice grassy or sandy shoreline or a wooden dock over a barnacle encrusted, slippery concrete ramp- any time. If it's a plastic dock, I'm in heaven since the kayak slides in so easy. Whenever I launch off concrete, my sphincter tightens up from the sound of plastic rash. And I've never fallen off a dock or shoreline, but have several scars from slippery concrete.

One disadvantage of a kayak over a boat on a trailer is that it's tough to pre-load a kayak without getting it top heavy. So figuring out how to load your rods, other gear, fish finder, etc. takes some planning. A good kayak cart can keep you from ever needing to block a ramp for more than a minute or so. Set your 'yak on the wheels and load it up in a convenient corner of the parking lot, and wheel it into the water when it's loaded. Move it over to one side by rope, and you're a launch ramp hero.

In general, I haven't found yakker's to be any worse than other boaters when it comes to blocking boat ramps. And I get to watch a lot of launches here in Sea Isle. It gets downright entertaining on holiday weekends. (Not that I claim any special skills when it comes to launching- I just don't do it enough)
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Chubs wrote:
Ron Mc wrote:ahh, a favorite spot with a chain across the ramp blocking boat trailers.
Just curious, but is it legal to launch a kayak on a chained off area?

I've seen numerous private launches with chains barring entry to boat trailers that I'd love to use, but always figured it's illegal.
At this location, Island Moorings Marina, I have confirmed with the property owners/managers that we can launch kayaks from the boat ramp. Frankly, there's no where else to easily launch.

In order for a power boat to launch here they have to wait for the office to open at 9 am for someone to remove the chain. It's not an issue in the mornings staging the kayaks on the ramp like in the picture because boats literally can not launch before 9 am. In the afternoon kayakers must defer to any power boat launching/re-loading at the ramp; which seldom happens at this ramp.

Chubs, it never hurts to ask some one at the ramp if it's ok to launch a kayak.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Legal doesn't apply to private property and private rules of a generous property manager and owner.
What they care about is that we park far away in their parking lot, but pulling up to stage gear is no problem.
I guess abuse comes in many forms, and so does respect.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Getting back to the OP, I wonder if there are any specific examples of ramps that no longer allow kayaks? I don't doubt it's happening, but knowing specific examples may clue us into other reasons.

For example, some ramps in Galveston require hefty boating liability policies to use their launch facilities, and I don't know anybody who has $300K liability policy on their kayak. But if someone falls and gets hurt, or drowns...

And I suspect some privately owned fee based ramps haven't yet figured out how to charge for launching a kayak. It's different than launching a trailer mounted boat.

Some guys tuned in here may also have location specific information why kayaks may not be welcome. It may be as simple as a shortage of parking spots, or insurance requirements.
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Never heard of the ramps banning kayaks...Specific locations anyone?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

2 Weight Willie wrote:Never heard of the ramps banning kayaks...Specific locations anyone?

I've seen at least a couple in the Galveston area, and I think Waterman's was one of them. When I asked a guy at one of the bait camps, he said that the kayakers had pissed off the boat guys by monopolizing the ramp for extended periods of time.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Chubs wrote:Just curious, but is it legal to launch a kayak on a chained off area?

Bottom line, normal trespass laws apply. Obey the signs, or take your chances. Texas is kinda weird regarding trespass when there's no signage, but I'll let the lawyers tuned in here address that.

Watch out for places like Jamaica Beach. Try using their launch ramp or even its parking lot without the proper sticker, and you'll get ticketed no matter how empty the lot is. OTOH, I've never seen anyone being bothered when respectfully launching a kayak (or parking) at Sea Isle. Not to say one of the nosy neighbors won't rat you out on the Sea Isle Neighbors Facebook page (which the local cops follow), but I've never seen it create a problem. (The main difference being that Jamaica Beach is its own town with its own police, and Sea Isle is part of Galveston city)
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: We are our own worst enemy....

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Ultrastealth wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:Never heard of the ramps banning kayaks...Specific locations anyone?

I've seen at least a couple in the Galveston area, and I think Waterman's was one of them. When I asked a guy at one of the bait camps, he said that the kayakers had pissed off the boat guys by monopolizing the ramp for extended periods of time.
Alright Image a shame tho

Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

impulse wrote:
Chubs wrote:Just curious, but is it legal to launch a kayak on a chained off area?

Bottom line, normal trespass laws apply. Obey the signs, or take your chances. Texas is kinda weird regarding trespass when there's no signage, but I'll let the lawyers tuned in here address that.

Watch out for places like Jamaica Beach. Try using their launch ramp or even its parking lot without the proper sticker, and you'll get ticketed no matter how empty the lot is. OTOH, I've never seen anyone being bothered when respectfully launching a kayak (or parking) at Sea Isle. Not to say one of the nosy neighbors won't rat you out on the Sea Isle Neighbors Facebook page (which the local cops follow), but I've never seen it create a problem. (The main difference being that Jamaica Beach is its own town with its own police, and Sea Isle is part of Galveston city)
The Jamaica Beach Police are complete A-holes. They won't allow you to launch in the marsh adjacent to the roads, even though it's Galveston Island State Park Property.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Ultrastealth wrote:The Jamaica Beach Police are complete A-holes. They won't allow you to launch in the marsh adjacent to the roads, even though it's Galveston Island State Park Property.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but my point was more to warn anyone tuned in that Jamaica Beach is not a viable place to launch into West Bay (in general). It's okay on the Gulf beach side. Your warning about launching off the roads is good info, too. It may save someone from grief if they're considering it. There are other nearby places in West Bay to kayak without the hassle.

I'm surprised about Waterman's, though I'd want to confirm it from them directly. Bait shop gossip in Galveston is notoriously unreliable. If Waterman's did stop allowing kayakers, I'd bet it's because of insurance and liability as opposed to kayaker behavior. But I've been surprised before.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

There's a lot of A** holes out there in every category, especially in the watersports arena. I always try to be respectful and courteous in everything I do. I was at Lake Bridgeport last week using the ramp by the dam. Anyone familiar with this ramp knows the only place to launch/load is on the ramp unless you like portaging over large riprap on a steep incline. I had my wheel kit on my kayak and was walking along the edge of the rocks in the waters edge toward the ramp when a truck hauling a pontoon backed down on the ramp in front of me and completely blocked the ramp from use while they prepped the boat for launch. Had they stopped 4 ft sooner I could've gotten by them. I literally stood a foot from the back of their boat while they walked back and forth in front of me for 20-30 min without ever so much as a nod from them. They could care less. You'll never convince the A**Holes that they are a problem. They see you as "in their way"