San Luis Pass?

BlakeJ

San Luis Pass?

Post by BlakeJ »

I'm headed to the west end of Galveston island at the end of July or early August. I was wanting to take the boy out in the nucanoe and fish the guts on the bay side of San Luis pass. It's been forever since I've fished around there, does that area still hold decent fish? What tides should I be looking for? Thanks!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: San Luis Pass?

Post by Dandydon »

Yes, the area still yields big Trout, Redfish, etc, but is also the most dangerous fishing area in Texas. People drown in SLP every year.

Do your homework and assess that fierce tide movement before you go. Years ago I was wadefishing there in knee-deep water when the tide suddenly started to rip out. I'm strong & it knocked me over into the rushing water. Any deeper & I would have been soggy toast.

I would recommend going when the tides are light for safety and fishing tactics. The gamefish quit biting when the current is strong. Wear your PDFs and good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Correction: PFDs.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
BlakeJ

Post by BlakeJ »

10-4, yeah the pass is definitely not a place to mess around in. I wasn't planning on getting out of the kayak, my nucanoe is comfortable to fish out of. So do you think go at high tide when the gulf water moves in?
impulse

Post by impulse »

San Luis Pass means a lot of different things to different people. It's a big area that encompasses much more than the actual pass.

It's possible to fish "SLP" without getting anywhere near any dangerous current. There are dozens of access points on the bay side where you can park a car, launch a kayak or wade and fish to your heart's content- on both sides of the bridge. On the Gulf side, get around the corners from the bridge and the current, and beach fishing is generally safe.

If you're referring to SLP under the middle of the bridge, that's crazy dangerous for kayakers and waders that tempt Mother Nature by wading too close to the channel.

Respect the water, but don't let the reputation of SLP scare you off. Use common sense, and you'll be fine. A quick look at the satellite photo should clue you in to a lot of places in the area to fish safely.

Edit: The yellow lines are boat tracks we have taken. The dim yellow track shows the vagaries of the Pass, where we grounded out following a track we had just taken a week earlier. The sandbar had moved...
Attachments
SLP.jpg
BlakeJ

Post by BlakeJ »

I was talking about around the island in the top right of that picture, in the guts on an incoming tide.
DUKFVR

Post by DUKFVR »

BlakeJ wrote:I was talking about around the island in the top right of that picture, in the guts on an incoming tide.
You would be fine around that corner.