Big guy (340) first kayak

Tazhunter0

Big guy (340) first kayak

Post by Tazhunter0 »

Looking for some ideas on what kayaks to look at. I’m just a little guy at 340# and have never been on a kayak. I’m in the Canton area but work in Coppell. Any places that have demo days or even classes for beginners would be helpful also.

Thanks
Chris
SWFinatic

Re: Big guy (340) first kayak

Post by SWFinatic »

If you're looking for paddle kayaks NuCanoe Frontier, Ocean Kayak Big Game 2 and Diablo Amigo come to mind. Peddle kayaks the Hobie Pro Angler 14 could work and there's the Old Town Autopilot 136 which is motor driven. One thing to check into on these kayaks I mentioned is the seat capacity. I know the Pro Angler 14 has a high weight capacity but the seat capacity is 250 lbs. max.

As a general rule regarding total weight on a kayak you want to stay around 70% of your kayaks total weight capacity and that includes you, your tackle and gear. So for the kayaks I listed above if you take around 50 lbs of total weight with you I think you would be fine. Less weight is better.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I’ve been hearing and reading a lot of good things about Crescent Kayaks and their Crew model. It can be paddled double or single, tracks well and is stable. Has a weight capacity of 600# and I think weighs 70#
https://www.crescentkayaks.com/product/ ... dem-kayak/
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

To build on to SWFinatic. As he mentions it's best to stay at 70%-75% of the weight capacity of a kayak. This seams simple enough, but brands such as Native Watercraft, Ocean Kayak, and Old Town do not account for the weight of seats, hatches, etc. Ocean Kayak and Old Town list both a weight capacity and usable capacity; Native Watercraft does not. Other popular brands such as Bonafide, Hobie, Jackson, Perception and Wilderness Systems advertise an honest weight capacity.

Again, as SWFinatic mentioned, you'll need to research the capacity of the frame seats found on many kayaks. Hobie lists their Vantage seat for the Pro Angler 14 at 350 lbs. However, the vantage seat for their Outback is just 275 lbs. You'll probably need to reach out to each manufacturer to determine the seat capacity.

Most kayaks are going to be in the 12 to 14 ft range, so think about how you're going to store and transport it.

So accounting for that here are kayaks I'd recommend researching:
Crescent Crew
Diablo Amigo
Hobie Pro Angler 14
Jackson Big Rig FD or Big Rig HD
Ocean Kayak Big Game II
Vibe Sea Ghost 130
Wilderness Systems ATAK 140

If you're not going to pack a lot of weight (lots of tackle or cooler full of ice) you may be able to get away with a little less capacity:
Crescent Lite Tackle
Feel Free Lure 13.5 V2
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Jackson Big Tuna
Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Watch the used market as well. The Wilderness Systems Ride 135 (discontinued) is another good option.

Kayak Instruct in Rowlett has many ACA certified paddling instructors who offer courses. They also sell Jackson kayaks as well as their own "house" brand. Mariner Sails in Dallas carries nearly all the brands listed above and will do demos if you give them a heads up. Very knowledgeable staff there. Mountain Sports in Arlington carries Wilderness systems and Jackson and they too have a very knowledgeable staff and will do demos.

The conservation lake behind the Walmart there in Canton is a phenomenal bass lake perfect for kayaks.
Tazhunter0

Post by Tazhunter0 »

Neumie wrote:To build on to SWFinatic. As he mentions it's best to stay at 70%-75% of the weight capacity of a kayak. This seams simple enough, but brands such as Native Watercraft, Ocean Kayak, and Old Town do not account for the weight of seats, hatches, etc. Ocean Kayak and Old Town list both a weight capacity and usable capacity; Native Watercraft does not. Other popular brands such as Bonafide, Hobie, Jackson, Perception and Wilderness Systems advertise an honest weight capacity.

Again, as SWFinatic mentioned, you'll need to research the capacity of the frame seats found on many kayaks. Hobie lists their Vantage seat for the Pro Angler 14 at 350 lbs. However, the vantage seat for their Outback is just 275 lbs. You'll probably need to reach out to each manufacturer to determine the seat capacity.

Most kayaks are going to be in the 12 to 14 ft range, so think about how you're going to store and transport it.

So accounting for that here are kayaks I'd recommend researching:
Crescent Crew
Diablo Amigo
Hobie Pro Angler 14
Jackson Big Rig FD or Big Rig HD
Ocean Kayak Big Game II
Vibe Sea Ghost 130
Wilderness Systems ATAK 140

If you're not going to pack a lot of weight (lots of tackle or cooler full of ice) you may be able to get away with a little less capacity:
Crescent Lite Tackle
Feel Free Lure 13.5 V2
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Jackson Big Tuna
Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Watch the used market as well. The Wilderness Systems Ride 135 (discontinued) is another good option.

Kayak Instruct in Rowlett has many ACA certified paddling instructors who offer courses. They also sell Jackson kayaks as well as their own "house" brand. Mariner Sails in Dallas carries nearly all the brands listed above and will do demos if you give them a heads up. Very knowledgeable staff there. Mountain Sports in Arlington carries Wilderness systems and Jackson and they too have a very knowledgeable staff and will do demos.

The conservation lake behind the Walmart there in Canton is a phenomenal bass lake perfect for kayaks.
Lived out here about 10yrs now and never knew that lake was back there. Going to check on it this weekend and see what I need to do in order to fish it.
Had a guy on a hunting forum I’m a member of, offer to sell me a Nucanoe Prusit with a few extras for $1k. Going to look at it this weekend also. Might also just save up some more money for a Nucanoe Ultimate. Looking at the specs they look to be the widest ones on the market.

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Tazhunter0 wrote:Lived out here about 10yrs now and never knew that lake was back there. Going to check on it this weekend and see what I need to do in order to fish it.
Had a guy on a hunting forum I’m a member of, offer to sell me a Nucanoe Prusit with a few extras for $1k. Going to look at it this weekend also. Might also just save up some more money for a Nucanoe Ultimate. Looking at the specs they look to be the widest ones on the market.

Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming.
The Nucanoe Pursuit with accessories for $1K sounds like a decent deal, and should suit your needs.

The lake is called Mill Creek. The front half closest to the dam has the better fishing, well at least it did when I still lived in DFW. Easy place to launch from as there's just one park on the north shoreline off of Arnold Paul Rd. Here's a video of one of the trips out there, missed two good fish and landed a decent one. Caught more off camera, but put those three on.

Tazhunter0

Post by Tazhunter0 »

Got to check the lake out and it’s nice. Wife even said she might be willing to get one now and go with me. Looks like I will be getting the Nucanoe Prusit. Looking for a life vest now that will fit someone that wears 4xl shirts. Thanks for everybody’s help.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Tazhunter0 wrote:Got to check the lake out and it’s nice. Wife even said she might be willing to get one now and go with me. Looks like I will be getting the Nucanoe Prusit. Looking for a life vest now that will fit someone that wears 4xl shirts. Thanks for everybody’s help.
I've seen some pretty big PFD's at Bass Pro but don't remember what the sizes were. Here's a site that has some bigger ones
https://www.waterskiworld.com/life_vest ... l-6xl.html

I find ones with pockets to be really handy but pockets aren't necessary and are IMO generally hotter. This time of year sometimes I'll wear a cheapo $30 PFD if I'm fishing inshore because they're not as thick and to me they're cooler than ones with pockets.
Tazhunter0

Post by Tazhunter0 »

Picked up a Nucanoe Prusit from a buddy on another forum today. Got my life jacket last week. So hopefully next weekend I will get to try it out and see if I will survive. Momma says my life insurance is all paid up.
Attachments
B61F5F65-349B-4AA3-B315-4EAB79A9BC85.jpeg
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Congrats! That Pursuit should be a little easier to paddle the the Frontier.