Completely torn....

eyedoc

Completely torn....

Post by eyedoc »

I have an awesome Malibu2XL that I've retrofit to where it's almost perfect...but it lacks two things I want, so I'm looking at new yaks. I really want to be able to stand because even the best anchor trolley can't overcome the elements at times and you're facing the wrong way regardless of where it is AND I want some sort of locomotion because I've started lake fishing.

My two top choices are the Jackson BigRig with pedal drive OR the Old Towne Autopilot 120.

I like the BigRig as far as floorplan and I definitely like that I don't have to register it...but the Old Towne has a motor with spot lock, so that eliminates the need for an anchor (I mean, as long as the battery holds out, that is).

Anyone have thoughts on either of them? They're pretty close in price, so I could easily go either way.
eyedoc

Re: Completely torn....

Post by eyedoc »

Also sort of bringing up the rear are a couple of the inflatables by Bote. I'm liking the portability and functionality of the Lono Aero or Rover Aero microskiff...

There are honestly almost too many options these days.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Since costs are similar I would get the Old Town and just pay the registration every two years. The only positives I see for the Big Rig are higher weight capacity (550 vs 331) and a wider beam (40" vs 37"). Whether or not the the extra 3" in the beam makes it significantly more stable than the Old Town, I'm not sure. But since both yaks weigh in around 150 lbs fully rigged without any fishing gear or yourself I'd think I'd prefer a motor do the work versus myself.

I have no comment towards the inflatable SUP's/Skiffs.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Completely torn....

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

eyedoc wrote:Also sort of bringing up the rear are a couple of the inflatables by Bote. I'm liking the portability and functionality of the Lono Aero or Rover Aero microskiff...

There are honestly almost too many options these days.
The bug slinger rover aero is nice. My uncles ex wife's son has one and it is very fisherman friendly. However in bigger waves it bend a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Yeah, that’s kind of what I was thinking. I don’t really do much off shore anymore (moved away from the coast), but I’d like to have the OPTION and sometimes the waves are more than you plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk