PWM and controller

DavidN

PWM and controller

Post by DavidN »

Any recommendations for a plug and play PWM and speed controller for Minn Kota motor?
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: PWM and controller

Post by shoffer »

I don't know about plug and play, but I have bought mine off Ebay and built a water proof box to house it.

Here is a link to the type I have purchased. https://www.ebay.com/itm/112632201224?_ ... 2210075575

Here is a link to my Youtube Video on my TM set up.
bing

Post by bing »

i'm thinking of adding a trolling motor.
what do you think about a fixed attachment (i can turn the yak using paddles) with only tilt up/down. also cutting the shaft to length & eliminate the head since it's a pwm?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

For me part of the benefit of having a trolling motor was to be hands free for trolling and fishing. Turning with your paddle is doable in many cases but not ideal IMO. You need the TM to turn.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Keep in mind those PWM amp ratings are for maximum instantaneous power and not for extended running at that output. Then I'd divide by 2 just because they're coming from China.

Make sure your trolling motor amperage falls within the rated steady amps. Hate to get 5 miles offshore on a scorching hot Texas day and overheat your controller.
bing

Post by bing »

i'm thinking about using the trolling motor as a straight shot to or from the launch. the meandering in between is paddle or drift. pwm will be a later project (ordered the $15 pwm from ebay), right now i'm stuck on battery choice. between cost & lack or reliable warranty, most lifepo4 got eliminated. i cut 18" off the shaft, reattached the head for a side mount for right now. cant wait for warmer weather
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

bing wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:20 pm i'm thinking about using the trolling motor as a straight shot to or from the launch. the meandering in between is paddle or drift. pwm will be a later project (ordered the $15 pwm from ebay), right now i'm stuck on battery choice. between cost & lack or reliable warranty, most lifepo4 got eliminated. i cut 18" off the shaft, reattached the head for a side mount for right now. cant wait for warmer weather
Years ago I thought it'd be fun to do a trolling motor build on a kayak. I put a 30 lb thrust MK (no pwm) on a kayak. Rigged up for foot pedal steering. Took the head off the TM and moved it up by the seat for speed control, etc. It was a lot of work and a lot of trips to the hardware store. Last piece I bought was the battery- a Walmart trolling motor battery. I used the set up 3 times pretty much in test mode and sold the kayak. The battery was the reason. The weight of lugging a 65 lb battery to the water and back got old fast. The battery pushed me over the weight limit of the kayak and made the kayak perform really bad (tracking and paddling). At that time lithium batteries were still $1k. Now they're so much cheaper. You can get a 65 ah lifepo4 for around $300 which should give you at least a couple hours of actual run time assuming you have 30 lb thrust TM. Or get you a 35 ah lifepo4 to start with and add another one to it when you can.

I say all this to tell you the battery is the probably most important part of your project. I strongly recommend getting a lifepo4 or saving up until you can. The difference in weight is huge.
Attachments
00p0p_lvhD7KwxSxg_1200x900.jpg
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

SWFinatic wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:17 am I say all this to tell you the battery is the probably most important part of your project. I strongly recommend getting a lifepo4 or saving up until you can. The difference in weight is huge.
THIS!

Check the classified section right here on TKF. I've got a brand new, never used lithium trolling motor battery for sale. 8.3 pounds!
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

impulse wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:36 pm Hate to get 5 miles offshore on a scorching hot Texas day and overheat your controller.
When the PWM fails from overheating, it defaults to WOT so no worries about being stuck.

Ive been doing electric fishing kayak conversions for years now. Couple things
Do use a 50 amp rated PWM for a #30 Minn Kota
Do vent the box, these generate quite a bit of heat. I raised my box, put vent holes under a raised PWM board and power draw air across the board using a computer fan wired to the line side so it runs as soon as the battery is installed.
Do use a LIon battery for weight savings, my 60AH runs me all day fishing in a 5 mile radius of the launch
Do size your wire correctly, use THNN tinned copper
Do add a kill switch and clip it onto yourself...fall out and the yak keep on going :shock:
Finally, I've experimented with air plane props and use a one exclusively. I've found a 20% reduction in power draw and 1/2 MPH in speed!
Oh yeah, do keep spare prop, shear pins and tools in the kayak. You will hit something and shear the pin at some point
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

motoyak wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:06 am
impulse wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:36 pm Hate to get 5 miles offshore on a scorching hot Texas day and overheat your controller.
When the PWM fails from overheating, it defaults to WOT so no worries about being stuck.

Ive been doing electric fishing kayak conversions for years now. Couple things
Do use a 50 amp rated PWM for a #30 Minn Kota
Do vent the box, these generate quite a bit of heat. I raised my box, put vent holes under a raised PWM board and power draw air across the board using a computer fan wired to the line side so it runs as soon as the battery is installed.
Do use a LIon battery for weight savings, my 60AH runs me all day fishing in a 5 mile radius of the launch
Do size your wire correctly, use THNN tinned copper
Do add a kill switch and clip it onto yourself...fall out and the yak keep on going :shock:
Finally, I've experimented with air plane props and use a one exclusively. I've found a 20% reduction in power draw and 1/2 MPH in speed!
Oh yeah, do keep spare prop, shear pins and tools in the kayak. You will hit something and shear the pin at some point
Good info!