Colorado Fly Selection

Neumie
Site Admin

Colorado Fly Selection

Post by Neumie »

Heading to Denver this weekend for the Aggie game. On Sunday we're hiking Brainard Lake Rec. Area which offers a couple creeks to fish. I'm the only one in the group that fishes, so my opportunities would be limited. Right now I'm planning on just taking my Tenkara rod for simplicity, but I could be talked into taking my 4wt graphite rod as it would also fit in a carry on.

Any ways, the creeks look small, so does anyone have fly recommendations?
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Colorado Fly Selection

Post by Kayak Kid »

Those creeks are heavily fished and the trout are smart SOB's. I've had luck with dropping a #28 (just about anything) under a floating grasshopper. Approach creek side on knees and stay hidden as much as possible.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

For dries, elkhair caddis and Griffiths gnat will have you covered.

For subsurface, size 20 brassie will cover most things.

September hatches are simple - caddis and midges.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Man it’s been a long time since I have stomped around that part of the country. But my grab and run box was always some midges in an assortment of colors, a few small Hare’s Ears, Trico’s , Terrestrials (black ant and grasshopper and the obligatory Elk Hair Caddis.
If you are going with a group and want to just stick and run your Tenkara would be hard to beat. Or just wanting to cover some ground by yourself.
Have fun!
Tenore

Post by Tenore »

Grew up fly fishing s colorado streams. Hopper dropper for plunge pools or any water with some depth or undercut banks. Size 12-14 hopper that floats well and a size 16-20 nymph that is not too weighted. For tenkara, I would still start with a small dry like an Adams irresistible that floats forever. No hits then try a smallish kebara wet fly. All cases make the tippet around 6x. More important than fly selection is absolute heron-like stealth. No shadows and stay out of the water as much as possible since that makes too much noise.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Stop in and support a local fly shop. You'll spend a few bucks, but they'll tell you what the fish are biting this week. Which may or may not be what they were biting on last week, and probably not the last time any of us were up there. And sometimes, ditching a size 14 for a size 18 made all the difference.

I have fond memories of scuds, hare's ears, and halfbacks, but it was very seasonal. 10 minutes and $10 at a local fly shop often saved the day for me. Probably more like $20 nowadays, but still worth it. $20 worth of advice, with half a dozen flies thrown in for free.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

impulse wrote:Stop in and support a local fly shop. You'll spend a few bucks, but they'll tell you what the fish are biting this week. Which may or may not be what they were biting on last week, and probably not the last time any of us were up there. And sometimes, ditching a size 14 for a size 18 made all the difference.

I have fond memories of scuds, hare's ears, and halfbacks, but it was very seasonal. 10 minutes and $10 at a local fly shop often saved the day for me. Probably more like $20 nowadays, but still worth it. $20 worth of advice, with half a dozen flies thrown in for free.
Yeah, that's a great idea. I'm not 100% I can make that happen on this trip. I'm with a group of my wife's Aggie class flying up to visit other Aggies, and none of them fish. So, at the very least I'd like to make sure to have a small selection of flies.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hey Josh, Colorado report?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Forgot to fill everyone in about the trip.

Found a small pool in the creek I was fishing caused by a log jam that was holding quite a few trout. I ended up catching a small Brookie on a caddis fly. Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of it.

Really pretty countyr, and glad my wife and I have friends in the Denver area, so return trips are that much easier to plan.

JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Man! I can hear it and smell it! Thanks, I needed that!