Hello from southwest Texas

BorderBoarder

Hello from southwest Texas

Post by BorderBoarder »

Hello everyone,

I just joined TKF after having been a lurker for a while now. I am definitely a novice of both kayaking and fishing even though I grew up being on the lake all summer. My screen name is derived from my wakeboarding background, but I don't get to do that much anymore.

We live near Lake Amistad and have been taking my kids out with some friends and we're getting into fishing together. Currently we are using a tandem canoe, but we are ready to upgrade to some fishing kayaks. I have been on several but never owned one myself.

I picked up a Perception Pescador 10.0 for my kids to share as their 9th & 11th birthday's coming up next month. If they both enjoy it equally, we'll look for another one for Christmas. For Lake Amistad and not a small guy, I'm looking for the ideal kayak for me for Christmas, or sooner. I'm thinking at least 12', or even larger if I can find the right one available.

Opinions and recommendations are welcomed on that subject.

Regardless, I am glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to learning more about the sport, and possibly running into some members along the way.

BorderBoarder
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Hello from southwest Texas

Post by Neumie »

Welcome to TKF.

Before I can help recommend any kayaks I have a couple of questions.
  • I know you bought it for your kids, but what do you like/dislike about the Pescador 10?
  • You mentioned you've been in several other kayaks before, what brands/models were those? What did you like/dislike about those kayaks?
  • Are you wanting to just fish Amistad? Do you have plans on overnight kayaking the Devils? Trips to the coast? Essentially, where do you plan on using the kayak most?
  • What's your build? (height weight)
BorderBoarder

Re: RE: Re: Hello from southwest Texas

Post by BorderBoarder »

Neumie wrote:Welcome to TKF.

Before I can help recommend any kayaks I have a couple of questions.
  • I know you bought it for your kids, but what do you like/dislike about the Pescador 10?
  • You mentioned you've been in several other kayaks before, what brands/models were those? What did you like/dislike about those kayaks?
  • Are you wanting to just fish Amistad? Do you have plans on overnight kayaking the Devils? Trips to the coast? Essentially, where do you plan on using the kayak most?
  • What's your build? (height weight)
Thank you for replying Neumi,

I have only sat in the Pescador on dry ground so far. My kids bday's aren't for 2 more weeks so it's in hiding for now. It seems well built and one friend told me they're good entry level boats based off old Wilderness System hulls. Dislikes are it feels a little cramped length wise, and I don't like how low the seat is.

-The first Kayak I ever rode was an early model Hobie peddle, unknown model, close to 20 years ago.
-A sit on top Ocean Kayak, unknown size.
- A sit-in old town
-a few other unknowns from rentals and quick trips around state park lakes.
-2019 Hobie tandem Mirage, I think, with peddles.
- Recently a NuCanoe Frontier 12

The NuCanoe was by far the most stable and comfortable. I have only fished from the older Hobie and NuCanoe, I wasn't comfortable at the time standing in the Hobie, but the newer tandem was doable, but not the NuCanoe. I like the openness and seat height of the NuCanoe, but it felt kind of like it was always dragging something while paddling.

I've done a couple overnight canoe trips and one overnight Kayak trip, Hobie tandem. I think my son and I will likely do more overnight trips. Not real sure we'll do the Devils, but I wouldn't rule it out. I'll probably slip whatever I end up with in some part of the Guadalupe River eventually. Possibly use it for duck hunting on the Brazos. In other words, it needs to be versatile enough for rivers, but most of the time I will be on Amistad.

The NuCanoe Unlimited and Pursuit have my eye, but probably only because the Frontier was so stable.

I am 6' tall and currently weight 240ish, aiming for low 230s/ high 220s.

I'd like to try and keep initial price around $1500ish or lower if possible. I like the idea also that the NuCanoe and the Wilderness Recon can be bought without peddles, but they can be added later.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
impulse

Post by impulse »

I'm going to repeat my usual advice, which is to watch Craigslist, Facebook Markets, etc for a gently used kayak someone is selling. I did that and found 4 kayaks for a total of $950, including a Tarpon 160, a Pescador 12 and a couple of nice expedition kayaks. Bought over a 6 month period. They're all in great shape, though not well decked out and certainly not perfect. But I've put more scratches in them since I owned them than they had when I bought them.

That's especially true this time of the year, when the season is coming to an end and people are looking at that 15' chunk of plastic taking up space in their garage. Not to mention kids who need school supplies... A lot of the sellers I encountered just found out that kayaking wasn't for them. Others were upgrading. And for others, they loved kayak fishing, but life and jobs and family got in the way.

Take your learning lumps on a second hand kayak (or 3 or 4 of them), then go out if you must and spend the coins on a new one based on your learned preferences in the waters, and the way that you fish. That'll avoid any disappointments that come when that kayak that felt so stable in a 5 minute test drive paddles like a battleship and you can't keep up with your buddies on the water... Or that sporty, skinny one that paddles so fast dumps you over if you even look sideways...
BorderBoarder

Post by BorderBoarder »

impulse wrote:I'm going to repeat my usual advice, which is to watch Craigslist, Facebook Markets, etc for a gently used kayak someone is selling. I did that and found 4 kayaks for a total of $950, including a Tarpon 160, a Pescador 12 and a couple of nice expedition kayaks. Bought over a 6 month period. They're all in great shape, though not well decked out and certainly not perfect. But I've put more scratches in them since I owned them than they had when I bought them.

That's especially true this time of the year, when the season is coming to an end and people are looking at that 15' chunk of plastic taking up space in their garage. Not to mention kids who need school supplies... A lot of the sellers I encountered just found out that kayaking wasn't for them. Others were upgrading. And for others, they loved kayak fishing, but life and jobs and family got in the way.

Take your learning lumps on a second hand kayak (or 3 or 4 of them), then go out if you must and spend the coins on a new one based on your learned preferences in the waters, and the way that you fish. That'll avoid any disappointments that come when that kayak that felt so stable in a 5 minute test drive paddles like a battleship and you can't keep up with your buddies on the water... Or that sporty, skinny one that paddles so fast dumps you over if you even look sideways...
Good advice.

I've been looking on Craigslist and on here. I don't do Facebook but I'll see if my wife can get me on the market there.

Thank you

BorderBoarder

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome to the forum!

With your build and the areas you fish I think you're on the right track with leaning towards an eventual pedal drive kayak. The down side I've heard on the NuCanoe pedal drive is when you get grass wrapped around the prop (and it will happen sometimes several times a trip depending on where you're fishing) you have to paddle to shore, get out of the kayak and clear the prop since it's in the back of the kayak. Vibe Shearwater 125 is under your budget and you can add a pedal drive later for around 500-600 bucks. Also the Hoodoo Tempest is a pedal drive kayak in your budget. I heard the Tempest are in stock in several stores in Texas. I'm pretty sure you'll have to wait for most other options.

As mentioned used is a good route to go also.
BorderBoarder

Post by BorderBoarder »

SWFinatic wrote:Welcome to the forum!

With your build and the areas you fish I think you're on the right track with leaning towards an eventual pedal drive kayak. The down side I've heard on the NuCanoe pedal drive is when you get grass wrapped around the prop (and it will happen sometimes several times a trip depending on where you're fishing) you have to paddle to shore, get out of the kayak and clear the prop since it's in the back of the kayak. Vibe Shearwater 125 is under your budget and you can add a pedal drive later for around 500-600 bucks. Also the Hoodoo Tempest is a pedal drive kayak in your budget. I heard the Tempest are in stock in several stores in Texas. I'm pretty sure you'll have to wait for most other options.

As mentioned used is a good route to go also.
Thank you, happy to be a part here!

Good point on the grass wrapping the prop, there's not a ton here in Amistad, but with my luck I'll find it.

I've not heard of those brands, I'll check them out.

Much appreciated,

BorderBoarder