Has anyone had this dilemma?

keepinitbassy

Has anyone had this dilemma?

Post by keepinitbassy »

I've been kayak bass fishing for awhile now but just recently purchased a Jackson Bite FD. My first peddle power. Love most things about it like it's wider and shorter than most in it's category, the ergonomics and space for gear. HOWEVER! The one thing I'm trying to get used to is the "turning radius". My home lake is windy most times and I seem to get into tight areas that needs to have constant immediate correction to gain position. With this Bite FD, I'll have to make a whole trip around to home plate to get back into position. Maybe exaggerated but those of you who own a Bite FD know what I mean. Some of you might feel the rudder is sufficient and I keep trying to tell myself that but the conditions and locations I am fishing don't call for it.

So lately I've been having buyers remorse as I had the choice between the Bite FD and it's close rival, the "Compass". I don't remember the Compass having this problem when I rented it awhile back but I'm contemplating of selling and going Hobie.

Has anyone had the same dilemma and transitioned over to the Hobie Compass or another (peddle power) in it's category?
Thanks in advance y'all
SWFinatic

Re: Has anyone had this dilemma?

Post by SWFinatic »

I'm not familiar with Jackson kayaks but have fished out of a Compass. I've had numerous peddle drive kayaks (mostly Hobie's) and never been in one that will provide immediate turning. You have to get moving forward in a kayak before the rudder will bite and turn the kayak. The Compass does turn well compared to other peddle drive kayaks I've been in.
keepinitbassy

Post by keepinitbassy »

Good info thanks
impulse

Post by impulse »

Have you considered a one hand paddle for those days when you need to turn without moving?

As indicated above, rudders require forward motion to turn the kayak. Sitting still and turning requires paddling or a trolling motor.

Here's an example... But being cheap like I am, I'd probably take an old retired double end paddle, cut it down, and put a grip and lanyard on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Backwater-Paddle ... B00JCT9C0O

I'd try that before I'd pony up the money to trade in a perfectly good kayak. Chances are, you'll have the same problem under the same conditions unless you really fork out the $$$ for a trolling motor drive.
keepinitbassy

Post by keepinitbassy »

Good logic!
impulse

Post by impulse »

I would add that it's always prudent to keep a full sized paddle with you when you're out in a pedal kayak. The pedal drive units occasionally fail, sometimes miles away from your launch point. My family has been through half a dozen Hobie drive units over 5 years. And there's lots of stories of the gear drives on prop based pedal drives failing.

Backup paddles are also handy when you drift into water too shallow for the drive unit. Though that's not as serious as having a drive unit fail a few miles offshore, where you can't get out and wade back to safety.
keepinitbassy

Post by keepinitbassy »

impulse wrote:I would add that it's always prudent to keep a full sized paddle with you when you're out in a pedal kayak. The pedal drive units occasionally fail, sometimes miles away from your launch point. My family has been through half a dozen Hobie drive units over 5 years. And there's lots of stories of the gear drives on prop based pedal drives failing.

Backup paddles are also handy when you drift into water too shallow for the drive unit. Though that's not as serious as having a drive unit fail a few miles offshore, where you can't get out and wade back to safety.
Copy that!
Damon77586

Post by Damon77586 »

I have a Perception Pescador Pilot 12.0 and the turning radius is horrible on it also. But I always have a paddle with me incase something happens to the pedal drive. And if I want to make a sharp turn I just use the paddle.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

You'd have to upgrade to the Hobie Pro Angler 360. It's hands down the most maneuverable pedal kayak on the market; but it'll cost you.