Paddle Kayak Suggestions - HELP

MTStringerS

Paddle Kayak Suggestions - HELP

Post by MTStringerS »

I am not exactly new to fishing or kayak fishing. I currently own a Hobie PA. I love it and I love kayak fishing.

However, if you have ever been in this luxurious beast you know it was not made for paddling. So I am looking for a good paddle kayak. I like to try and stay in shape but I HATE going to a gym or working out to work out. I do like hiking and going on walks and doing things that are physical that also keep me in shape. Kayaking and paddling seem like great things. But as long as I am moving through the water, I might as well have a line and a lure hanging out the back.

SO, I am looking for a good kayak that first is made to paddle. I don't want a motor or peddles for it ever, I have that already. I just want to go out and paddle for 30 minutes or an hour or whatever. I also want to have it be able to hold a rod or two so I can troll while doing it. And finally, I know its probably easier to paddle and more stable, but I don't like sitting right on the bottom of the kayak. At my age I really like to sit up a little. It doesn't have to be Hobie vantage seat but I definitely don't want the molded but circle where I sit on the plastic of the SOT kayak. And saying that, I definitely want sit on top not sit in.

OK if you were willing to read through all that and you have any suggestions I would truly appreciate your words or wisdom or advice. I don't want to spend a fortune since its a 2nd kayak but I am willing to pay a little to get a good kayak.

Thanks,
Mike
TexasJim

Re: Paddle Kayak Suggestions - HELP

Post by TexasJim »

I was at Roy's in CC the other day and they had two Viking Profish Reload kayaks. They paddle great, are light(60 lbs?), well built kayaks that you could take offshore, if you wanted to. Fantastic fishing platforms. One of the Reloads was the original design, where you sit in the bottom of the seat pan, which you said you didn't want to do. The other one had a raised seat, much like the "Larry Chair" seats many kayaks now come with. I don't know if this is some kind of Viking mod or re-design, or maybe Roy's did the mod? Rockport Ryan might know.

If I was a bigger guy, I would have bought a Reload, but I paddled one, and I couldn't reach anything. I searched and found a Profish 400, which fits me fine.

Neumie will probably respond, with more suggestions, unless he's doing his Fall saltwater trip.

Good luck, TexasJim
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check them out. I am 6'2 about 240 so I am a bigger guy. Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in as well.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Mike I've hear what you're saying I've been in a similar position. I've had a PA14 (and other Hobies) but ended up getting a paddle kayak because where I fish it's usually too shallow for peddles anyway. I agree a framed seat is nice to have. Unfortunately there's not a lot of true paddle kayaks with a framed seat. TexasJim mentioned the Viking and tho it doesn't have a frame seat it is still comfortable. Vikings are designed so the cockpit is curved which supports your legs and takes pressure off of your lower back. I also paddle a Viking (mine is the Reload). The most comfortable framed seat I've fished out of was my Hobie Revo 13 with the Vantage CT seat. The Reload is as comfortable as the Vantage CT seat to me. I did buy a set of one way scupper plugs for the scupper holes beneath the seat so my butt doesn't stay wet. I love the kayak. Prof Salt on here is similar to your build or maybe taller and he has paddled a Reload for years.

I also looked hard at a Jackson Kraken 13 or 15 which both have framed seats but Jackson doesn't make these kayaks anymore and it's rare to find a used one for sale. The Ocean Kayak Prolwer & Trident series kayaks do paddle well but don't have a framed seat and IMO aren't close to the comfort level of a Viking.

Pescador Pro 12 has a framed seat, is the cheapest of the kayaks I've mentioned and still paddles pretty well.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Eddyline has a 14 ft kayak, The Caribbean, with a frame seat that looks like a great paddler. The discontinued Jackson Kraken 13 and 15 offered frame seats.

The Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 or 160 (discontinued), Ocean Kayaks Trident 13 or 15 aren't exactly frame seats, but you're not sitting directly on the rotomolded plastic.

Viking has been mentioned, but a couple of other kayaks where you sit on the seat pan would be the Swell Scupper 14, the Eddyline Caribbean 14 (non frame seat version), and Hurricane Skimmer 140. CM is selling a very nice Hurricane Phoenix 140 over in the classified section.
txanalogkd

Post by txanalogkd »

As already suggest, do not overlook the Viking Profish or a WS Tarpon. Both of these are great kayaks. Personally, I do not like these new kayaks that are too wide and make it difficult to enjoy.

I started kayaking with a tandem Tarpon 130, and it's actually great as a solo. I've always wanted a fishing kayak so after tons of research and now that my kids are grown. I purchased a used Jackson Cuda and this was the seat that you are looking for. The cuda is also a great kayak.

I will say that both seat styles are beneficial but if I were to purchase another fishing kayak, I would consider the two that I mentioned. Good luck with your decision.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

On my T160, of course I put my feet inside on the rudder pedals to paddle, but if I'm fishing, my legs are straddled over the narrow side.
This is as comfortable as any sit-up kayak, and much more efficient and wind-slippery for traveling.
I'm 6'3", 220 and you can't do this with a boat over 30" wide.

MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like the look of the viking and especially the reload. Like I said, I am looking for a paddling kayak first but I know me well enough to know if I am on the water I will have a rod with me. I already have the nice seat on the hobie so I am willing to try the seat like the viking has. Now I just need to find a used one that is sitting around someone's garage waiting for a new owner. I am not in a hurry so I am sure one will pop up somewhere.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I agree with Ron Mc. You cannot beat a T160 for paddling. It is my other kayak. I have a Revo, an Outback, and the Tarpon.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

MTStringerS wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like the look of the viking and especially the reload. Like I said, I am looking for a paddling kayak first but I know me well enough to know if I am on the water I will have a rod with me. I already have the nice seat on the hobie so I am willing to try the seat like the viking has. Now I just need to find a used one that is sitting around someone's garage waiting for a new owner. I am not in a hurry so I am sure one will pop up somewhere.
Mike if you do go the Viking route and interested in keeping your butt dry these one way scuppers work well on Reload and are less than half the price of some of the more popular ones I found online. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
gb15

Post by gb15 »

All good comments, here is my two cents, I’ve been kayak fishing for about 12 years. I’ve owned 5 different yaks in that time (still have 4 of them). Each has its own special characteristics and purpose. I focus on: stability, speed, and weight. The older I get, the more important the weight factor becomes. I prefer creeks and rivers and have never been a fan of anything other than a paddle. My all-time favorite is the Wilderness Ride 11.5. It is extremely comfortable, dry, and the best combination of stability, speed and weight. I’m 6’ and 235 lb. The Ride has a framed seat. When sitting still or drifting, I can rotate 90 degrees and dangle my legs over the side and position myself as though sitting on a couch. ACK (Austin Canoe and Kayak) has an awesome website, multiple locations, and friendly helpful staff. Prior to the pandemic they would sponsor demo days twice a year, where you could go and try out 40 different makes and models (no charge). I hope this event returns, great way to learn and socialize with like-minded folks. Several posts have mentioned the WS Tarpon, I have one. It is fast and light weight but not as stable. Good luck with whatever you choose, as your tastes change you can opt for another model. They’re all good when you’re able to get out on the water, enjoy nature, and catching fish is just a bonus.
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

I was looking for the Viking Reload but its a little tough to find one out there. I heard Roys in Corpus might have one but it doesn't show the on website. Anyway, does anyone know what a new one runs? It helps so I know if the used price I am seeing out there is a reasonable one. I have seen a few on FB Marketplace. Anywhere from $750 to over $2K. There is a 2017 for $900 that looks pretty good and has a few extras with it but not sure if that is a good deal, a normal price or is it expensive. Words of wisdom from anyone with some knowledge would be appreciated.

And thanks for all the suggestions. I am not sure about the Viking seat because of other kayak experience but the other kayaks I have used with the molded in seat have been cheap rentals that probably don't compare so I am hoping I will be able to sit in one and give it a try.

Thanks again,
Mike
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Mike a new Profish Reload will be around $1600 new not including tax. $900 is a really good price for a 2017 IF it has a rudder and has a straight hull. If you buy used which is the best way IMO make sure it has a rudder. The reload needs a rudder and they are really hard to get right now. Well maybe not hard to get just takes a month or two.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Mike, the original Reload at Roy's was $1499.00. The one with the raised seat was $1499.00, not including the seat. I didn't talk to anyone about therm, but they were there last week. $900 used isn't too high, due to the scarcity. I've seen them as low as $700, but not recently. Good luck! TerxasJim
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

OK, I think I am going to try the Viking Reload. It's tough to find anywhere to try out kayaks anymore. Either out of stock or no try em out events. So I am just going to buy a used one and if it's not the right one I will sell it and try again. I found a Profish reload Z with chill pod and electronics for $900. So if the guy will hold it for me I think I will pick it up after Thanksgiving. I will try to remember to update the thread with my thoughts once I have taken it out a couple of times in case anyone else is wondering what to get.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice. This is a great forum and its amazing how everyone is always willing to step up and help out.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Good for you Mike. Go get'em and enjoy! Just saying........cC