Fly Tying Bobbin

JW FunGuy

Fly Tying Bobbin

Post by JW FunGuy »

OK all you fly tiers I know this is going to have many different personal preferences, but I guess that is what I am asking for. I am in the need for some new bobbins. All the newish trout flies use different colors of threads per fly and it takes too long to swap threads. And my old el cheapo wire bobbin has gotten trashed tying heavy saltwater flies so I know I will need to get several. And with that said I don’t want to spend a fortune on them.
So, what do you use and what do you like or dislike about it?
Thanks!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fly Tying Bobbin

Post by karstopo »

https://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/i ... obbins.htm

Griffin. Really, I like small bobbins even for relatively large saltwater and bass patterns. I had once of the fancy, adjustable Rite bobbins, couldn’t stand it. It was clunky and difficult plus time consuming to dial in the right pressure. By far my least favorite bobbin. Maybe if you break the tying thread a lot, it might be something to consider. Getting the correct pressure on the tying thread has not been something I struggle with.

Others love these fancy adjustable bobbins. Might be a love them or hate them deal. For me, the flared or standard Griffin. $9.15/per unit. What’s the risk?
Kirk B.

Re: Fly Tying Bobbin

Post by Kirk B. »

I have tried most of the higher end bobbins, and either didn't like the way they handled, or broke them (ceramic). Tiemco, Wasatch, Dr. Slick.. I think the only ones I didn't try were the Rite Bobbins. Yes, I know. It's a bobbin HOLDER. The bobbin has the thread on it. I just go with the flow, lol)
The best, most user friendly bobbins I have found are the basic ceramic ones from Cabela's/Bass Pro for $9.99. Not the ones with the ceramic tip, the ceramic sleeve. It only takes a slight bump to knock that bead out, and it never glues back in right, lol.
The $3.99 steel ones are ok, but will groove on you over time.
I even paid $35 for one of those fancy ones with all of the machining on it, and it makes a great, albeit expensive, lead wire holder.....

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk