Cagle (SHNP) - 14 Dec 21

txanalogkd

Cagle (SHNP) - 14 Dec 21

Post by txanalogkd »

I caught and released five bass, and my biggest were 3 lbs. I throw a lot of soft plastics, so I worked the shoreline and had success on both Senkos and Worms.

I love fishing on cover cast days.
mwatson71

Re: Cagle (SHNP) - 14 Dec 21

Post by mwatson71 »

Very nice job. I mostly fish saltwater so it’s always good to hear about some freshwater action. I fished Huntsville State Park a coupme of years ago and that lake is full of good sized bass as well. I caught a big on a tandem speck rig of all things.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Headed to Huntsville SP the week after Christmas. It is a great kayak lake.
Not only big bass, I caught a just shy of 12" red-headed sunfish there a few years ago. I would out later it would have been a water-body record.
Oops.
Since last year, I think, you can now keep bass under 16". They used to be strictly C&R.
I'm probably going to be fishing jerk baits, jigs and drop shot. (Since that's what I usually end up fishing anyway, lol)

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Man I caught a monster sunfish at Huntsville SP too. It was close to 10”. As you probably know, be very aware of the alligators. I have seen lots of gators while kayak fishing. The only time I have actually had one turn towards me was in a cove at Huntsville SP and it was a biggie. I had my paddle ready to start swatting at it but it turned back around when it got about 10-15 feet from me.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Yeah, I've seen them, especially out at the weeds, and under the fishing piers. Never had one approach me.
I'm not real worried about them in December. They are mostly in hibernation once the water temps drop.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk