Lower Peckos Trip Advice

Kev

Lower Peckos Trip Advice

Post by Kev »

Howdy y'all!
I'm plannin a trip in June down the lower peckos (intentional mis-spelling to help keep this a texas secret). Was hoping someone would be willing to share some advice with me.

Me and the group I'm going with have done the devils and several other overnight trips on the brazos below PK.

Things I could use some advice on:
1. I've read in the guidebook and on the interwebs that the last dozen miles are brutal because of wind, but it seems like the river has gotten really shallow in that same stretch in recent years too. Has anyone had trouble with the shallow water / mud while getting to the boat ramp? I'll be in my nucanoe f12 and it rides a little deeper than other yaks... would really hate to get stranded so close to the finish line.
2. Recommendations on hotel/camps with AC that are close to the put in or take out?
3. I got into fly fishing because of the devils river. That clear water made it fish totally different than what I was used to. Is it worth it bringing the fly rod on the lower peckos or should I just stick with the baitcaster?

TIA
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Lower Peckos Trip Advice

Post by Neumie »

I haven't been, but this website has great info as well as write ups from past trips: https://www.adventureonoutdoors.com/pec ... -trip-plan

Louis Aulbach's The Lower Pecos River Guide Book is a necessary book.

Southwest Paddler is another great reference website.
Kev

Re: Lower Peckos Trip Advice

Post by Kev »

Neumie wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:52 pm I haven't been, but this website has great info as well as write ups from past trips: https://www.adventureonoutdoors.com/pec ... -trip-plan

Louis Aulbach's The Lower Pecos River Guide Book is a necessary book.

Southwest Paddler is another great reference website.
Thanks for the info. I've read the adventure on outdoors section and have the Aulbach guidebook. Neither mention the mud that people talk about in their youtube videos (from the last year or so). I guess that probably depends most on flow rate and water level of the lake.