safe boat parking in Port Aransas?

junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

safe boat parking in Port Aransas?

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

Hi everyone!

My sister has rented a home in Port Aransas for the weekend. She invited us to come down and of course we said Yes! trouble is... This place doesn't allow boat parking. Does anyone know of a place near Port Aransas that offers secure boat parking overnight? Please and Thank You!
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: safe boat parking in Port Aransas?

Post by Neumie »

May just need to call the local boat storage facilities and see if they offer weekend accommodations; Port A Boat Barns, 6th Street Boat Storage, and Harbor Boat House.

Keeping it on the water in a slip could also be an option at Port Aransas Harbor or Island Moorings Marina.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Tough position! You might also try nearby hotels that have designated boat parking. I've done this once before with a boat trailer (kept the boat in a nearby slip) and it worked out great. I paid like 50 bucks to park the boat trailer in their parking lot for a week. This was not in Port A but may work over there.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

What most everyone misses about boat & trailer security is the trailer hitch. Owners buy $50 hitch locks for when their trailer is parked, and anyone with a 3/4" box end wrench and a 3/4" socket on a ratchet can steal your boat and trailer in 60 seconds, by taking the out two 1/2" bolts that hold 90% of hitches onto trailers, put their hitch on your trailer, and drive away with your rig. You can buy a 1/2-20 x 4" bolt to replace one of your hitch bolts, and put a locking wheel lug nut on it. Granted, you're only keeping the honest people honest, but I'd sleep better knowing that. Put the other three locking lug nuts from your set of four on your trailer wheels. I'm sure the thieves would leave your locked hitch behind. My $.02. TexasJim
impulse

Post by impulse »

For $25-50, you can get a small electronic tracker that can be hidden somewhere on a boat, trailer or vehicle that will allow you and the popo to find your stolen goodies, hopefully before they get stripped for parts or painted and shunted across the border.

I'm not an Apple fan (they're too good at parting us from our money), but they seem to have a good one if you have a IPhone or other up to date I-Device. Lots of choices if you have an Android (or Apple) phone.

Google "GPS trackers". If I had a $5,000 trailer or a $50,000 boat (or even an expensive kayak), I'd have one hidden on it. In fact, I just may- but I'm not telling. I wish the tech was as advanced a few years ago when a Hobie went missing off our back dock. Live and learn.