Wondering?

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Wondering?

Post by Kayak Kid »

I'm a dedicated minimalist when it comes to most outdoor activities. The same holds true when it comes to kayak fishing. My preference was to carry my 48 pound kevlar Seda revenge to my car, put it easily onto the roof rack, head to the some distant shallow bay, lift it off of my car and carry it to the waters edge. One fly or spinning rod (depending on the wind) in the rod rack, and another stowed inside the hull. A half dozen spook Jr's, (or a box of flies), rain gear, water, two ham sandwiches, safety gear, a hook out, and a sharp knife was the extent of my gear. I haven't kept a fish for the past 19 years, so the weight and inconvenience of ice was easily avoided.

I feel as if the kayaking community will, eventually return to the days of light, easily paddled kayaks. The untenable price of power boats drove many to kayaks, and it seems likely that the unseemly price of the new "kayaks" will make simpler, more basic kayaks regain popularity. It will be fun to see how it evolves.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

for KK, new page needs a photo - and a fast taxi.

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Great looking kayak (S. African?) and paddle (Werner bent shaft Kalleste?). The hat, however, is a bit effete. :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the hat is Akubra hemp from Oz, and it's not head-shaped, but it's cool in the sun.
The boat is Current Designs Kestrel SOT - the paddle is a Camano - any more paddle oversteers this boat, and 5 kt is easy to hit right now and maintain.
(Revo 16 chases this boat with difficulty) Dry weight is 39 lbs. It glides forever Upwind.
Thigh straps are required to steer and keep primary balance.
The guy who wears the hat will talk with you whenever.

so let's see a photo of Kayak Kid in his long-billed yachting cap
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue May 17, 2022 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hey Ron, quit abusing the old (more mature) TKF members. Kayak Kid can be brutally honest and grumpy whenever he wants, like me. We seniors have earned that right with our old blood, sweat, semen and tears. Image

But we still love your fancy racing kayak and goofy-ass hat. Keep up the good work. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

DD - that may be the best portrait you've ever fielded.

no shortage of hats, here's my traveling Panama, but it doesn't have enough brim for coast sun. And it is head-shaped.
Never got to try the Tilley, my daughter took it away.

My best canvas hat, which I wear at the cast most often, is Conner Sahara.
Image Image
If you do the Oz snap-up, it doesn't blow off in a power boat.

I have an old Stetson Open Road that's decent. My widest brim is a Milano.
I wore it one Alaska trip (North Slope in December) and started a fad - when I went back, everybody was wearing cowboy hats.
Alaska is a smaller place than you think.
My winter weather hat is a really nice VS Hatters century beaver made from a head mold.

Why are fishing hats supposed to be floppy? That's what's goofy.
BTW, when I attend a GRTU meeting and people see me without a hat - they're surprised I have hair.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Am I the only one who had to Google “effete” to figure out what it meant?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

no, it's a known fighting word.

I challenge KK to tell a pubful of ozzies their Akubras are a bit effete.
I think that's how Mel Gibson got his nose broken.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I was speaking of the hat, certainly not the wearer of the hat. The hat looked out of place on such a macho boat.:lol:

Your daughter (who's growing up too fast) has goood taste. I fish only while wearing Tilly hats. Classic for summer, wool for winter.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it didn't skin my teeth, bro

She's all grown up - graduates TAMU this month.

And seriously, can't imagine anyone who wears a Tilly calling any other hat effete.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed May 18, 2022 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

RonMc,
You could have gone all day without telling me that about your daughter. Now, I really feel my age.

Goodness, she was a little girl only a short while back.

Good on the AM graduation. Overall, the best university in Texas, IMHO.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ron, at my age I actually look better wearing big Covid masks and goofy hats. Hate to see myself naked.

Like Kayak Kid, I'm curious about your lovely, active daughter. Is she the one who kicked many asses practicing karate, judo or some such martial art?

As you know my 2 Kung Fu Black belts mean I have to simultaneously spar 2-3 fighters at my dojo. Yet I never lose. I'm a mean junkyard dog who also practices law and fishes, lol.

As for your young daughter, what was her tel. no?

pelochas

Post by pelochas »

i miss the good old days.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

You may be the answer, by contributing now to the forum.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Open discussion is the bedrock of America. TKF allows and encourages us to share stories and blow off steam without penalty or censorship. Can't say the same about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. They're all suffering.

My point is we have a valuable communications resource here at our disposal. We almost lost it until the Neumayer family stepped up. Thanks, Josh.

Now that we've got it, let's use it! We have so many members who could improve this site by speaking up. Has anybody gone fishing lately? Bought a hot new lure or kayak?

Bring it on, men. Talk, talk. Image

Below, behold my friend George DeMontrond's new indoor swimming pool at his mansion on River Oaks Blvd. He said I could test my lures in it. Image

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Dandydon wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:20 pm........and blow off steam without penalty or censorship.........
Uhhhhhhh, as long as the conversations/discussions center around aspects of kayaking and fishing we shouldn't have any issues.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

besides DD, you've posted on the forum lubricated to the point that you should have been censored, blowing steam because you thought you were censored, though you weren't censored, you were just on the wrong thread.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ok guys, let's rein the conversation back some; I don't want to have to lock my first thread.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Even I am not perfect. It takes an Alpha Male to admit that. Hello.

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

?????
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Back when we had no choice but to be minimalist. The kayaks are mine and the car is my neighbors at The Bay Club when I was attending TAMUCC.
kayak car.JPG
Duster_BB

Post by Duster_BB »

I grew up fishing gorda mostly from the surf. First kayak was a tandem pelican from academy. Moved away from the coast for school & work. Now I'm back on the coast and just got a kayak to get back into it. Heard of this forum from another general fishing forum.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Duster_BB wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:35 am I grew up fishing gorda mostly from the surf. First kayak was a tandem pelican from academy. Moved away from the coast for school & work. Now I'm back on the coast and just got a kayak to get back into it. Heard of this forum from another general fishing forum.
Glad you found TKF Duster. There's more excellent fishing tips and kayak info in the archives than most of us can remember.

I've spent some time fishing gorda from the kayak. There's some really good areas to fish for reds from a kayak. Biggest issue I found was how rough East Matty can get. Even a 12 mph east, southeast wind there can be 2 foot rollers fast. 15-18 mph and you're looking at 3 footers consistently at least on the west end of the bay.
Duster_BB

Post by Duster_BB »

SWFinatic wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:33 pm
Duster_BB wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:35 am I grew up fishing gorda mostly from the surf. First kayak was a tandem pelican from academy. Moved away from the coast for school & work. Now I'm back on the coast and just got a kayak to get back into it. Heard of this forum from another general fishing forum.
Glad you found TKF Duster. There's more excellent fishing tips and kayak info in the archives than most of us can remember.

I've spent some time fishing gorda from the kayak. There's some really good areas to fish for reds from a kayak. Biggest issue I found was how rough East Matty can get. Even a 12 mph east, southeast wind there can be 2 foot rollers fast. 15-18 mph and you're looking at 3 footers consistently at least on the west end of the bay.
Yep, I will get down to Gorda this summer at least once or twice. I'm almost equal distance to Freeport vs. Galveston, but both are new to me. As a kid I used to fish the San Luis Pass pier - I think it's gone now? I could be wrong.... Lots to research. There are definitely some good nuggets of info in the archives here.
Halen

Post by Halen »

karstopo wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:24 am I’m coming up on 60 years old and still love lugging the kayak around. I feel better after an outing in the kayak out on the water than at any other time in my life. My goal is to be in my Commander 140 when I’m 80, hopefully with a strong pulse. Maybe that kayak could be my coffin someday, seems fitting. I abhor Facebook and haven’t been on that platform for 10 years. Forums seem the way to enjoy a particular interest with others. I like to fish alone for the most part, but enjoy reading about what other kayakers are up to. The world can do it’s very best job of going to hades and as long as I can get out after some fish in the Commander, I’ll be able to shut out the worst of it.

Many People seem to want to graduate to a power boat, but all you get for that is a lot of extra expense and hassles and some additional range. They don’t make you better at finding fish, that’s for sure.
I appreciate everything you said, I'm about to be 57 and can appreciate your thoughts.