My first trout of the season.

impulse

My first trout of the season.

Post by impulse »

Just a seasonal heads up... Caught 2 nice trout in the 18-24" size and lost another trolling around West Bay near Snake Island Cove this afternoon. Weather was great so I took the T160 out, mostly for exercise. Caught an 18"er trolling in the channel at Sunset Cove, so I cast around the channel a little and hooked one more (threw the hook) and caught another around 22-24". All caught in the deeper water of the channel. Spooked quite a few black drum in the very shallow water between Sea Isle and Snake Island Cove, but I was just trolling through. Mostly, this was a cabin fever/ badly in need of exercise outing with a 2 trout bonus. I released them so they're still out there, and no photos...(Edit: caught them on a Berkeley PowerBait 3" shad in off pearly white)

Not seeing any fish yet in the Sea Isle green lights, but last 2 years they showed up mid-late March. Any day now...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: My first trout of the season.

Post by Ron Mc »

We've had some hard cold in the past month.
The prevailing Gulf wind will bring them all out.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Well done, Impulse. Thanks for the report!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I second Shoffer's message to Impulse for keeping us informed of the Sea Isle area conditions.

Thanks, Impulse!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

impulse

Post by impulse »

Good news (I hope) Green lights in Sea Isle are inundated with small glass minnows. Just noticed them tonight, perhaps due to lack of chop on a very still night.

No sign of reds, but should be any day now. Last 2 years they showed up mid-late in March.

I'm sure it'll bust wide open in Jamaica Beach, Terramar, and all along the West Bay soon.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for the heads-up, Impulse. When you say "It's ON," the Hobie Navy will be fishing your canals.

Shoffer is leaving today for a week of yak-fishing in Florida. I'm sweating out a Covid test today because one of my band members exposed us all to Covid last Saturday night... Image

But I feel fine, so expect to see us soon. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Well, I am in Florida (Walton County area), but not for a whole week of Yak fishing. Family spring break, but I do trailer my yak down here for a couple of days for me. Right now, it is too cold, but I have a few launch spots picked out on the Panama City waters, and the Choctowatchee Bay area. Probably will only scare up some trout and reds, if I am lucky. All the really fun fishing is further south.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks for the report impulse!