Topwater bite

Tombo

Topwater bite

Post by Tombo »

Drifted across Estes Flats, the worst kept secret fishing spot around Rockport. Had a nice slow drift going back to our launch site when I tied on the topwater Spook jr. Got about ten blow ups but no hook ups but was fun watching trout coming out of the water, keeper size.
TexasJim

Re: Topwater bite

Post by TexasJim »

Did you have enough water to float? I went out Tuesday and Wednesday and there was barely enough to float and I had to wade through the mud, dragging the yak for a ways. Last time I drifted Estes, there wasn't a lot of grass, about 90% sand and mud and 10% grass. I tried Cape Valero marsh, this week and it was really low, also. Glad the trout were active for you. TexasJim
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

There were some spots where my Hobie drive would not work but was enough for me. Not much grass but water looked very good.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Great fishing report, especially for anyone contemplating a fishing trip before it busts wide open in the next few weeks.

Where you were, when it happened and what seemed to work. It's all there.

Beats the heck out of pictures of dead fish that were caught "in the water somewhere" on a secret bait.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks for the report - fish know a front like this is coming, and I think they always want to stock up before - kinda like the lines at the grocery store.

I'll take the blame for letting Estes Cat out of the Bag. It's a big place, and I would rather see more kayaks there than power boats.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good report, Tombo, despite the lack of caught fish! Sometimes watching specks repeatedly hit a topwater lure is better than catching dinks off the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk