4/16 Churchill Bayou

Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

4/16 Churchill Bayou

Post by Music Man »

Finally got to get on the water yesterday after 8 long months...Went out with Son #2 and hit the water about 10:30 am. Launched at the east end of Christmas Bay and drifted into the Texas Speedboat Channel, otherwise known as Churchill Bayou. Met a kayaker on his way in and he said the flounder were biting but nothing else. Tide was much lower than I expected but the water was very clear. Wind was very manageable.

I caught a couple of undersize flounder on my go-to Gulp lemon pepper jerk shad. Got some hook ups on a red Flounder Pounder and a chartreuse Bubba Clucker. Son caught an undersize flounder on a chartreuse paddle tail. Some around us were using live shrimp but getting the same results.

Beautiful day on the water. Soon as I get this kitchen remodel done I'll hit the water more :wink:
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 4/16 Churchill Bayou

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for the Churchill Bayou news, a spot dear to my heart as my first kayak fishing trip. Father/son trips are especially fun.

I've caught some decent Flounder there at the bayou entrance and hope to hear more from you soon. Soon our baywaters will hit that magical 60° level for bait & gamefish activity.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

impulse

Post by impulse »

Just saw Churchill Bayou on Google Earth.

You must take your life in your hands with all the skinny go-fasts.
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

Yeah. Thought about a mount for a 50 cal, but it was pushing my kayak's weight limit :D

A few years ago was on Churchill in a boat, heavy fog, and some Richard Petty wanna-be has his floating rocket hauling down the bayou. There were a few kayakers there but he never slowed down. Nearly took one out.

You definitely have to keep your eyes AND ears wide open when on Churchill. I keep close to the banks when paddling.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Good deal. I like fishing there. Lots of stuff going on, sudden water depth changes, strong currents. Seems like an area that has lots of secrets.