lilly pads

motoyak

lilly pads

Post by motoyak »

this fishing is new to me...whats the go to set up for landing some fiesty largemouths?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: lilly pads

Post by Neumie »

I've never done it, but kayakers up in DFW would use Med-Hvy rods and 65 lbs braid line.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

yeah, watched a couple vids of technique to try. Frogs on top, floating worm, and lastly, swim bait for subsurface. I suspect vertical jigging might be the ticket also. All require heavy stuff due to the toughness of the stalks. Should be interesting to give it a whirl now that the water temp is coming up and the fish are more aggressive.
bing

Post by bing »

location?
i'm just interested in the lily pads
:)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Frogging.

Good hard braid is a must for slicing veggies.

A couple of frog examples (ignore the double treble dog-walking plug)
You can find frog lures that imitate baitfish as well as crayfish -and of course, frogs.
Image Image
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Bass on frog imitations in heavy cover is my favorite, followed by topwater bass, then crankbait bass. I have never mastered the art of the worm, but I did catch some fish last year using a Carolina rig for the first time so there's hope.

My favorite frog bass video on Youtube - check out the size of this bucketmouth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UxL1s4 ... WL&index=1
MarkLedyard

Post by MarkLedyard »

Ditto the advice on weedless topwater frogs, especially in the spring time. Once the weather heats up, though, I would add two other options. One would be a flippin jig. It's good for getting down below the surface without snagging (too much), and it lets you fish the whole water column. Second one would be a Senko-type worm rigged wacky style or weightless Texas rig (or Texas rig with a nail weight). Cast it out onto the pads, then let it fall. This is more subtle than the jig. And I would definitely use braid, because the lily pad stalks are tough.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

thanks for the suggestions! Im rigged to hunt them now, hopefully, Ill be able to post results soon 8)