Sea Isle 3/31/22-4/1/22

mwatson71

Sea Isle 3/31/22-4/1/22

Post by mwatson71 »

With local intel from Impulse, I launched at Sea Isle around 10:30p with plans on fishing the 12:28a-2:28a major.

As I rounded the marina I flipped a glow white Brown swimbait into an overhead light and had the first bite of the night but missed it. The second flip however landed a just short speck. Turning into the canal heading to the bay, I threw into an underwater green and landed a 20" red. Three casts, two fish. Hmmm. The red was released. Pedaled up to the next underwater light, a couple of casts came up empty. At the last underwater light near the end of the main canal, I landed and released another slot red. The overhead light across the canal gave up an undersized flounder.

I headed to Impulse's canal and wanted to mix things up a bit so I threw a green and purple 4" paddle tail that a small luremaker @Team_Skinny_Water on TikTok sent to me. A 22" red quickly slurped it down. A few lights down I managed a 16" speck that went into the fish bag.

The next canal over is where the redfish action was. Every light was filled with large fish. Some appeared to be very large trout but the reds were so aggressive the trout never stood a chance. I would throw into the light, count to two, give a quick pop, and it was fish on. I landed and released four slot reds to 26" in four consecutive lights.

The pier was being fished, so I headed to the other side of Sea Isle to fish the overhead lights on the bay. I stopped back into the main canal as I saw a lot of action in the overhead light at the end so I made a cast into it and landed another slot red. Threw into the underwater across the canal and landed another slot red.

Having blown those two, I continued back to my journey to the overhead bay lights. I managed to scratch out a few dink specks and a rat red, but nothing to keep. There were lots of unattended lights so I fished the bay for a while, through most of the major in fact. I decided to go back to the other side and hit the same two canals again. In the bay lights I threw both the Brown and the unbranded lure and caught fish on both.

Back in Impulse's canal, I landed another red. I went back to the next canal which was still filled with big fish and quickly landed three more slot reds on the glow white lure.

The wind started to pick up so I headed back in. I hit one of the underwater lights in the main canal and caught an undersized red and then picked up a 16" speck in a green light between the docks in the marina.

All reds were released and two specks became fish tacos.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Sea Isle 3/31/22-4/1/22

Post by shoffer »

An action-packed night indeed.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great trip and report Michael.
Thanks for posting.

For everyone down the coast from FM 457 in Matagorda county, the new trout regulation went into effect March 16.
It doesn't apply to Galveston Bay (Sea Isle) or Sabine Lake.
From Matagorda to the Rio Grande the new trout limit is 3 fish 17-23", and nothing outside the slot.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Excellent report. Gracias.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Ron Mc wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:38 pm Great trip and report Michael.
Thanks for posting.

For everyone down the coast from FM 457 in Matagorda county, the new trout regulation went into effect March 16.
It doesn't apply to Galveston Bay (Sea Isle) or Sabine Lake.
From Matagorda to the Rio Grande the new trout limit is 3 fish 17-23", and nothing outside the slot.
That’s why you and Lou and Suzie need to come to Galveston and fish with us.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Hey Michael, I can't get Lou out to play anymore - except maybe to join him on a bike ride.
His retirement job, he took up a Trail Steward with City Parks.
Between this and travel with Susie, he can't make time to fish these days, riding the greenways up to 100 mi/wk.
Image Image

Stevo and I are fishing this weekend, and Josh may join us. Lou and Susie are making maple syrup in upstate NY.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You had a "Night to Remember," Capt. Watson. Big Reds on 4 consecutive casts? Specks? Flounder? Yikes. Must have been plenty of bait fish around...

Thanks for all the exquisite details which help us catch fish on future trips. I'm looking for brown/green paddletaiks. I know almost every light you mentioned, so hope to see you & other yakkers out there.

Ron, I endorse bicycling for exercise, fun & fellowship w/ other riders. Good for Lou to get such a plum job. Ride the wild streets...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk