Blown Out Apr 9-10

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Blown Out Apr 9-10

Post by Ron Mc »

Steve and I decided to go ahead with this trip to Palm Harbor - it was really a smoke run of his new camping rig.

I hauled both our boats on my p/u bed extender, and we were set up in plenty of daylight.

Early enough to make it to Los Comales, where the top shelf Ritas aren't soda pop, and are the size of a fish bowl

I usually order the fish, but this time went for the Tarasco Shrimp - and of course we had stuffed jalapenos. The shrimp was perfect, and the mushrooms in the sauce picked up all the oils - it was great.

TexasJim joined us to launch Saturday morning. The drill was try to catch the incoming tide at Little Cut.
The only shots I took on the water - Steve rigging to launch

and Jim in the sunrise over Traylor Is and Little Cut - we had to trudge the last 30 yds to get there on the low tide.

The cut was dead - it was Sunday's tide that was better on paper. Jim stayed to work over the deep holes in the cut, while Steve and I trudged back to paddling water to set up drifts on the building wind - he drifted Trout Bayou, and I fished the duck blinds out from Big Cut. It was a bust of a fishing day, though a pretty nice paddle.
Jim and Steve both brought in flounder that finally came unhooked. I had one nice red follow my TSL grasswalker to the boat, and a few non-committed strikes. We saw rat reds concentrated on the shelves. We all called it about 1pm, when the wind was building to 18 kt and pushing us back to Palm Harbor.

After shower and nap, Steve and I made the early run to Jim's recommended restaurant - Mickey's Bar and Grill at Ramson Rd. marina.
It was a great call. Their crab cakes were great, their jalapenos were whole, wrapped in butterfly shrimp and bacon, and grilled.
Steve had the market Mahi, just delivered fresh when we arrived, and I tried the chef's special Pecan crusted flounder, with green beans sauteed in crunchy bacon - it was excellent.

The plan Saturday night was try the bulkhead along the ICW. The manager reported his grandkids had been catching slot reds there last Wed and Thurs.
I brought a box of deep glow lures just for this, but the building 22+kt wind was too brutal to make it enjoyable, and would continue building through Sunday noon.
The tailwind made for an easy drive home Sunday morning. I've never made this trip before without having to buy gas at Sinton, but made the round trip this time with 1/4-tank to spare.

We got our seafood fix and enjoyed the RV'ing, also enjoyed Saturday's paddle, though the trip was a bust for fishing.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Blown Out Apr 9-10

Post by Dandydon »

Ron, thanks for the entertaining EATING report! Your loving food descriptions succeeded in making me desire some fresh seafood and a cold Margarita. And it's only 9am...lol.

If we cannot catch fish (), at least we can find them at restaurants to dine on and share with our fans.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks for posting about our Saturday morning slog. I only fell down four times into the shin deep mud! I was fishing the 5-foot deep water in Little Cut, with a wake bait, so the fish I hooked up was probably a Subway Trout, the way it spit a treble hook.
I often see dolphins terrorizing the bait fish in Little Cut, so while I was feeding frozen shrimp to the hardheads, I looked out the cut and saw big black shapes at the cut mouth. Only after watching, it was three big black wild hogs and a tiny baby hoglet swimming across the channel to the North side. They got out and waited for the baby to catch up. Ah, Nature! Your sunrise pic would have been more colorful about two minutes later. Oh, well. We'll catch 'em next time. TexasJim
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I forget the exact saying but something like "April, May, June, winds in the 30 after noon."?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Jim, thanks for the hog report - I only fell once.

Thanks DD - would rather catch fish, but we still had a good time.

We made limonade from limes - or at least the bartender did.

Travis W. wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:05 am I forget the exact saying but something like "April, May, June, winds in the 30 after noon."?
Welcome to the forum, I guess.
We've had some killer early April trips in big wind from every direction, especially in changing wind moving big currents and affecting the bay water levels.

https://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/v ... p?t=249701

https://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/v ... ?p=2284863
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Dandydon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:55 am Ron, thanks for the entertaining EATING report! Your loving food descriptions succeeded in making me desire some fresh seafood and a cold Margarita. And it's only 9am...lol.

If we cannot catch fish (Image), at least we can find them at restaurants to dine on and share with our fans.

Never a bad time for a rita DD
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Ron Mc wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:02 am Steve and I decided to go ahead with this trip to Palm Harbor - it was really a smoke run of his new camping rig.

I hauled both our boats on my p/u bed extender, and we were set up in plenty of daylight.

Early enough to make it to Los Comales, where the top shelf Ritas aren't soda pop, and are the size of a fish bowl

I usually order the fish, but this time went for the Tarasco Shrimp - and of course we had stuffed jalapenos. The shrimp was perfect, and the mushrooms in the sauce picked up all the oils - it was great.

TexasJim joined us to launch Saturday morning. The drill was try to catch the incoming tide at Little Cut.
The only shots I took on the water - Steve rigging to launch

and Jim in the sunrise over Traylor Is and Little Cut - we had to trudge the last 30 yds to get there on the low tide.

The cut was dead - it was Sunday's tide that was better on paper. Jim stayed to work over the deep holes in the cut, while Steve and I trudged back to paddling water to set up drifts on the building wind - he drifted Trout Bayou, and I fished the duck blinds out from Big Cut. It was a bust of a fishing day, though a pretty nice paddle.
Jim and Steve both brought in flounder that finally came unhooked. I had one nice red follow my TSL grasswalker to the boat, and a few non-committed strikes. We saw rat reds concentrated on the shelves. We all called it about 1pm, when the wind was building to 18 kt and pushing us back to Palm Harbor.

After shower and nap, Steve and I made the early run to Jim's recommended restaurant - Mickey's Bar and Grill at Ramson Rd. marina.
It was a great call. Their crab cakes were great, their jalapenos were whole, wrapped in butterfly shrimp and bacon, and grilled.
Steve had the market Mahi, just delivered fresh when we arrived, and I tried the chef's special Pecan crusted flounder, with green beans sauteed in crunchy bacon - it was excellent.

The plan Saturday night was try the bulkhead along the ICW. The manager reported his grandkids had been catching slot reds there last Wed and Thurs.
I brought a box of deep glow lures just for this, but the building 22+kt wind was too brutal to make it enjoyable, and would continue building through Sunday noon.
The tailwind made for an easy drive home Sunday morning. I've never made this trip before without having to buy gas at Sinton, but made the round trip this time with 1/4-tank to spare.

We got our seafood fix and enjoyed the RV'ing, also enjoyed Saturday's paddle, though the trip was a bust for fishing.
Sounds like a good time regardless of the fishing.

That sauce on the shrimp at Los Comales looks like the same sauce they put on their beef fajitas. That stuff is delicious!

Mickey's is a solid choice. Their pecan custed flounder is a lot like what Paradise Key does to redfish. If you're looking for something to try (and the fish are biting) next time take some fillets to Paradise Key and have them do the pecan crusted coating on those red fillets. You can get 2 sides and they cook your fish for like 15 bucks. The other menu items at Paradise are pretty expensive but it's all really good. Both Mickey's and Paradise are on the water and I enjoy that.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Ron Mc wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:10 am
Travis W. wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:05 am I forget the exact saying but something like "April, May, June, winds in the 30 after noon."?
Welcome to the forum, I guess.
WWe've had some killer early April trips in big wind from every direction, especially in changing wind moving big currents and affecting the bay water levels.

https://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/v ... p?t=249701

https://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/v ... ?p=2284863
I joined a while back but I don’t have the email or info for that one. Decided this would be a good time to have my name on here.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

SWFinatic wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:12 pm Sounds like a good time regardless of the fishing.

That sauce on the shrimp at Los Comales looks like the same sauce they put on their beef fajitas. That stuff is delicious!

Mickey's is a solid choice. Their pecan custed flounder is a lot like what Paradise Key does to redfish. If you're looking for something to try (and the fish are biting) next time take some fillets to Paradise Key and have them do the pecan crusted coating on those red fillets. You can get 2 sides and they cook your fish for like 15 bucks. The other menu items at Paradise are pretty expensive but it's all really good. Both Mickey's and Paradise are on the water and I enjoy that.
I've always said the times are what matters and the fish are gravy - I guess this was a test of that, and we had a great time.
Everything I've tried at Los Comales is great, I'm sure I've eaten the fajitas in the long past, but eating there twice/yr or so, I can't get past the seafood.

One of our last Arroyo trips, dinner at Chili Willies, Lou pointed out the mountain of fried fish, onion rings, fries and calamari at the table next to us.
Turned out it was their catch cooked up in Willie's kitchen.
That's another place, I can't get past a burger and onion rings there...
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Men, this culinary-themed TKF thread is putting big time pressure on my Intermittent Fasting program. I eat only between noon & 6pm, except for weekend "cheat days." Yeah, it's actually worth it.

So today at precisely 6pm I'll bread & sauté a Redfish fillet, washed down by a cold Margarita, toasting SW Finatic & the rest of TKF. Image

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I agree, the photos were pretty appetizing right up to that last one.

It's always a feast at Neumie's Compano Bay digs.

That's one thing we missed this trip - we didn't get a Steerburger stop in Estes.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Most folks like my funny wigs, Ron.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

That's ok DD, an easy target, and at least the thread hasn't listed Buc-ees as a favorite food stop.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Great report and pictures. It's been years since I've stepped foot in Los Comales, glad to read their food is still as solid as ever. Although I got out Saturday to explore, Sunday was all yardwork with freshening up the flowerbeds and fixing the damage done by AT&T running fiber lines.