San Saba River - Apr 09, 2022

Neumie
Site Admin

San Saba River - Apr 09, 2022

Post by Neumie »

A little late posting, but really not much to post about. This past Saturday I decided to hit up the San Saba River between Fort McKavett and Menard.

I only fish the San Saba once every couple of years, but it's probably a top 5 river on my list. It's just as clear or even cleared than many Hill Country rivers we all fish, but due to it's location (about a 2 hour drive from my house in NW-SA) it doesn't get the pressure or traffic as the other rivers. Another reason for the long trip that even though we're already in drought conditions the San Saba, at least for now, is still flowing at somewhat normal rates. However, when I arrived at Bois D'Arc crossing the clarity was about 18 inches or so, not the 10 feet I was prepared to fish. I ended up speaking to a landowner later in the day and he said it'll do that this time of the year under these conditions; similar to a lake turning over.

I only got two bumps on a senko style bait, so no fish pics. So I went exploring and paddled almost 3 miles up river taking in the scenery. Lots of wildlife including whitetails, axis, turkey, hogs, and raptors.

At this point I turned around as the river became less defined and labyrinth of grass pods that was going to be way too much work to finagle my 13.5 foot kayak through.

A cool picture of a tree seemingly growing on a rock.

Back at the launch and a picture of the "Hot Tub" upriver of the crossing and another picture down river.

As you can probably guess with a name like the "Hot Tub" it's a popular spot for the locals to party at. As I do (and we all should be doing), I spent a few minutes picking up litter. I have never picked up as many glass bottles as I did this day; over 40. At another crossing I saw a sign from a fed up landowner.

After picking up trash and relaxing with a cold beer. I hopped in my truck and took a backroads back to I10 to check out other fishing spots. Nothing better than driving across cattle guards on caliche roads with the windows down and some Texas country music playing. At one crossing I got held up by some traffic.

Anyways, it was a very enjoyable day on the water. Sure catching some fish would have been great, but paddling new water is always a treat.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: San Saba River - Apr 09, 2022

Post by Ron Mc »

Great report and excellent photos.
Great score on the river clean-up effort - been there.

Billy Trimble grew up on that river.

For my book, still a little early for river bass, though it's coming soon.
safarigene

Post by safarigene »

My brother just bought some property out that way and I was looking at some places in that area. Had looked at that launch and one off of FM 864 just outside of Ft. McKavett. Curios if anyone had launched off of 864? I ended up in Junction on the South Llano and had a blast. Water was a little lower than the last time I went, but the fish were biting.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

safarigene wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:12 am My brother just bought some property out that way and I was looking at some places in that area. Had looked at that launch and one off of FM 864 just outside of Ft. McKavett. Curios if anyone had launched off of 864? I ended up in Junction on the South Llano and had a blast. Water was a little lower than the last time I went, but the fish were biting.
Yes, you can launch off of 864 and go down river. Dunagan has two crossings, the eastern one has an illegal fence stretched across the down river side. Stockpen Crossing and City Park are the two in town options. 5 mile is a good one just west of Menard; I've actually caught crappie upriver from that crossing. Then there's 10 mile and County Line crossings farther fast of Menard.

The San Saba has decent access points and the distance between some of the crossings lend themselves well to all day floats if you have two vehicles.
safarigene

Post by safarigene »

Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at going up river from 864 to Baptism Hole I think. I will definitely have to check some of those out soon though.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

safarigene wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:37 pm Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at going up river from 864 to Baptism Hole I think. I will definitely have to check some of those out soon though.
You can also launch from Toe Nail Trail.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for sharing your exploration of the scenic San Saba. When the fish aren't biting is a great time to explore remote areas.

And God bless you, Neumie, for picking up all that outdoor litter.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

It's a real shame we have to wade through the litter left by the two-legged pigs! My wife and I used to walk Rockport Beach and always picked up a shopping bag full of trash, mostly plastic, either washed ashore, or left by the local pigs. Thanks, for the report and the ecological effort, Josh. TexasJim