AP Easter.

Kitsune

AP Easter.

Post by Kitsune »

I went fishing on Easter morning :shock: Launched between Port A and AP. The tides were going up all night. The flats were getting full of water, bait, and predators. As daylight came upon me, I smelled the sweet Trout. At the end of a small feeder gut I see nervous bait…. Topwater deployed…. Speckles start creeping up behind and BAM! 23 inch trout. I get the girl unhooked and what do I hear…. the sound of an outboard. They came so close becasue the area was so small I had to wait to cast. They were going really slow, getting their push pole ready, talking, excited for their adventures fly fishing trip. I usually don’t think this… but it killed the bite. That, along with the daylight and the big girls said adios! They went about 50 yards, cut it, got the pole and their fly rod and went about their skillful endeavor. I didn’t take a picture of the trout due to time restraints and emotional deregulation.

So I went about looking for Reds too! Found some nice ones, some takers, some teasers. I did catch some Old Testament trout (15-17in) and rat reds. Ended up taking one red home and eating it that night. Can’t wait for the summer heat and more early morning specks.

I usually use all Gold. Gold topwaters and spoons. It reflects the most light and the action on these lures is good.
Attachments
7996FD57-2377-4CC7-B822-8BFB29E345FD.jpeg
AB9589C1-8B6A-4397-98DA-651EAEA260F8.jpeg
SWFinatic

Re: AP Easter.

Post by SWFinatic »

Nice work! Rising tides can put fish on the move and make them hard to locate. That and it was a full moon. I know several guys went out and didn't hook up at all that day.

Hate to hear the motor blew up the spot. A motor can definitely do that. Sounds like it could have been a guide. Not all but some guides are flat aholes. It's almost like it's their water and you're in their way. They're not all bad though.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Yeah I think it was. Only one guy was fishing the whole time I saw them. I think they tried to be quiet, but that trout bite was going to be finicky. It was a small gut surrounded by mangroves, but that sweet smell was heavy and the bait fish were so nervous. The fishing wasn’t too bad, a handful of v wakes and some nice trout.

As I get older, I try to keep an open mind about these things, but man it hurts to see something set up and then watch the bull come running through the China.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

nice report and fun photos - thanks for posting
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks for the pictures and report. The bite may have died on you due to an aggressive feed earlier in the night. I went out the same night as the morning you launched, and hammered the trout, caught some really nice ones. They were gorging themselves on small shad and glass minnows, even the little guys had a fat stomach! Since you didn't get a pic of your 23in, here is one of mine from the night I was talking about.

Tight Lines!
IMG_7724.jpg
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Probably the same fish :wink: