New Pedal Kayak

SWFinatic

New Pedal Kayak

Post by SWFinatic »

I came across this on YouTube and found it interesting. Looks like Jackson has a new kayak they're introducing. The Knarr FD looks like it is patterned after the Hobie Pro Angler 14 in almost every way from the length and width to the built in rod holders to the rail accessory system even down to the tackle storage bin less the all new belt driven pedal drive system. This kayak is listed at 140 lbs I'm guessing that is without the seat and pedal drive not sure though. Either way another heavy kayak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TRsuaa43U

Thoughts?
LocoSeamonkey

Re: New Pedal Kayak

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

a heavy price tag too, $4200
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

Pretty feature rich. I’ve been thinking about a peddle drive kayak, but the weight thing concerns me. Have a Kraken and love it, so have looked at the Jackson peddle drives. The Coosa FD is 107lb, Knarr 140…pretty hefty. The Outback comes in much lighter.

Maybe I’ll tell my wife I need to get a Knarr to test out for the TKF team :lol:
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

I went from a Kraken 13.5 to 2019 Outback and haven't regretted it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

creekstone

Post by creekstone »

Music Man wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:50 pm ... the weight thing concerns me. Have a Kraken and love it, so have looked at the Jackson peddle drives. The Coosa FD is 107lb, Knarr 140…pretty hefty. The Outback comes in much lighter.
If you like the specs on the Kraken, check out the specs on the Hobie Revolution 13.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Wow. To each his own, obviously.

But I started fishing out of a kayak because they were cheap to buy, easy to store, cheap to operate, I could tie one to the car roof using 2 foam blocks, launch it anywhere I could park the car, float it in 4" of water and paddle effortlessly for miles and miles, coasting many yards between strokes. In fact, most of my kayaking has been for fun, scenery and exercise with fishing as a bonus in season.

I'm not sure about a 'yak that costs > $4000, weighs over 120 pounds empty, has the cross section of a battleship and stuff protruding from the bottom to hang up in the brush. Paddling in fear that an upset will send thousands of $$ of electronics and gear down to Davy Jones' locker. It's a very different world, and I'm not sure I like the trajectory. But that's just me.

I'd be looking at a Gheeno, johnboat or a microskiff if I was in that price range and willing to pull a trailer for that kind of weight. My "other boat" is a 15' Grumman sport canoe with a 7.5 HP motor that does 15MPH (less than $1000 second hand and I hauled it home on top the car. It lives on a trailer now) It's a blast, but I take it out about 1/4 as much as my Tarpon 160. And I take the T160 out in preference to the family's Hobie Outbacks which are very stable, but pedal like tanks.

I'll repeat my oft stated recommendation to look for a 2nd hand kayak on Craigslist, Facebook, etc. Do a short Google search for "XXX kayak review" before you go see it and bring cash in case it's a keeper. Try it out on the waters you fish and the way you fish before setting your heart (and hard earned cash) on a specific model. The beauty of a well purchased 2nd hand kayak is you can get your money back with no depreciation if you decide later you don't like it. And if you fall in love with it, keep it as a spare and buy a new one for yourself. It's always good to keep a spare kayak for your buddy that comes to visit... Kayaking is more fun with good company on the water and not everyone can own and store a 'yak.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Guys I hear ya I'm a little surprised that Jackson went down this road. The one Hobie that you can routinely find for sale on most places that host used kayak ads is the Pro Angler and it's often due to it's weight. The Knarr is a spitting image of the Pro Angler.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

impulse wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:07 pm Wow. To each his own, obviously.

But I started fishing out of a kayak because they were cheap to buy, easy to store, cheap to operate, I could tie one to the car roof using 2 foam blocks, launch it anywhere I could park the car, float it in 4" of water and paddle effortlessly for miles and miles, coasting many yards between strokes. In fact, most of my kayaking has been for fun, scenery and exercise with fishing as a bonus in season.

I'm not sure about a 'yak that costs > $4000, weighs over 120 pounds empty, has the cross section of a battleship and stuff protruding from the bottom to hang up in the brush. Paddling in fear that an upset will send thousands of $$ of electronics and gear down to Davy Jones' locker. It's a very different world, and I'm not sure I like the trajectory. But that's just me.

I'd be looking at a Gheeno, johnboat or a microskiff if I was in that price range and willing to pull a trailer for that kind of weight. My "other boat" is a 15' Grumman sport canoe with a 7.5 HP motor that does 15MPH (less than $1000 second hand and I hauled it home on top the car. It lives on a trailer now) It's a blast, but I take it out about 1/4 as much as my Tarpon 160. And I take the T160 out in preference to the family's Hobie Outbacks which are very stable, but pedal like tanks.

I'll repeat my oft stated recommendation to look for a 2nd hand kayak on Craigslist, Facebook, etc. Do a short Google search for "XXX kayak review" before you go see it and bring cash in case it's a keeper. Try it out on the waters you fish and the way you fish before setting your heart (and hard earned cash) on a specific model. The beauty of a well purchased 2nd hand kayak is you can get your money back with no depreciation if you decide later you don't like it. And if you fall in love with it, keep it as a spare and buy a new one for yourself. It's always good to keep a spare kayak for your buddy that comes to visit... Kayaking is more fun with good company on the water and not everyone can own and store a 'yak.
great post, spot on IMHO
More often than not, Ill opt for my 10' pescador pro that I easily put in the bed over my heavier kayak. These new pedal "kayaks" are far from being called kayaks, PWC would be more appropriate