Fayette County Reservoir

Hunter25

Fayette County Reservoir

Post by Hunter25 »

Has anybody on this forum ever fished Fayette County reservoir? I'm looking for a good place to launch that's not too far to paddle to good fishing. Thanks in advance.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Fayette County Reservoir

Post by Neumie »

IT's been a long time, but I've always launched from Oak Thicket on the northside of the lake. Paddling out to the right is a small stand of trees which I've done well at. The shoreline highlight is great for senkos, shakeyhead, or any other finesse fishing along the grass. The cove around the bend tot he east is another good spot.

Hunter25

Post by Hunter25 »

Thank you. I checked the lake out on google maps and picked the cove to the East of that launch site you highlighted as one I would like to hit. It is about 1.8 miles from that launch. Tight lines.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The largest large mouth bass I've ever caught (lbs? - big and fat) was in Lake Fayetteville. I launched at the park and paddled no more than about 100 yards along the East shoreline (across from the first cabin). I anchored approximately 30 yards from the shoreline. That giant bass was one of five huge fish I caught in that immediate area. I was using a Carolina rigged plastic maroon worm.

We fished with Capt. Green that same week-end, and caught bass everywhere we went. He prefers green, free lined plastic worms, fished right next to shore grass.

That was my third week end fishing that lake with PACK. Most of us had good luck on each trip.

WARNING: The wind can get plenty fierce on that lake.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Never been on that lake in a kayak but fished it from a boat. Agree Oak is the best place to launch and it nearest to probably the better fishing. By now I'm guessing the fish are going to be a little deeper. You can also hug the left shoreline from that ramp and follow it around and there's a cove that has good grass and timber but that water may be too shallow. Main lake points are not a bad place to start if it's not too windy.

Obviously be safe that lake is crazy busy with boats and I believe they have a club that gives big points for tossing a kayak.

FYI if you're open to keeping a fish or two and catch a decent tilapia (lake is loaded with them) they are really good eating fresh. Better than what I have had from HEB. Technically I believe there is a lake rule on throwing them back if you catch one as they're now considered invasive in that lake.
Hunter25

Post by Hunter25 »

I will definitely keep an eye on the wind and check out all the lake rules before heading out. Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my original question. This forum is the best. Tight lines.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I have fished there. Both Oak Thicket and Park Praire ramps are kayak friendly. Oak thicket is the one I have used more. A dude named Cuervo Jones used to fish out there a lot, so check out his posts on the board, or search the board for Fayette and you will find many posts about it.