AP 5/14

Kitsune

AP 5/14

Post by Kitsune »

South Bay, LHL, and surrounding areas are interesting places. Having the massive channels and fresh water moving in and out produces a unique place to fish in my opinion. I have fished this areas for 12 years or so and yesterday I saw something new to me in LHL. A lot of grass, like the matted grass coming all the way to the surface. I have seen this in Fence lake and other areas but never this thick in LHL. Maybe due to the mangroves getting severely damaged in the freeze… I don’t know but there is definitely some vegetation changes this year. Nonetheless, I worked around it and the Redfish were still there. I will take pictures of the grass next time, lol, I did get pictures of the fish though. Water was clear, winds around 15. A lot of boat traffic with some kayakers.
Attachments
12CCC92F-8F4C-49F5-B861-8B2506AFD025.jpeg
CC9AD530-7F0C-4E36-A3B8-A63257DD1B63.jpeg
144B28E1-B717-4C8A-A300-B98074E40560.jpeg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: AP 5/14

Post by Ron Mc »

nice report and fish - thanks for posting.

Summer doldrums are a tough time to plan an out-of-town trip - summer arrived early this year.
Finding moving water with enough dissolved oxygen to support fish is the trick.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Looks like you found some nice slot redfish in that pesky matted grass, Travis. Good work and good fishing report.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I've been around LHL where the grass was thick along the surface like described. Usually happens when the water is warming up and the grass growth goes bonkers. Tides may have been slightly lower than usual too.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your report; I've yet to make it down to Rockport this year for fishing.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Nice thanks for the pics.

I agree on the grass likely due to warmer temps, lower tides (due mostly to full moon) and lack of rainfall (steady salinity levels).

OP you made a reference I'm curious about. The areas you mentioned are mostly in Aransas area. You mentioned Fence lake. Where is this?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

answering out of turn, Fence Lake is on San Jose Island - best place in Texas to take a fly rod, but you have to cross Aransas Bay.

This is Allyn's Lake next door. Fence and Allyn's connect in The Bottleneck far in the back.

Image Image

Mothership - make that Dadship across Aransas Bay.
Dad drifted San Jose shore and picked us up at noon.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon May 16, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

To add to Ron's comment, Fence Lake is not a place you paddle to (unless you hate yourself), you'll need to mothership to it.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

10-4 yeah that's the only Fence lake I knew of just wondering if there was another in the area.

Ole salts refer to Fence from Allyn's north all the way to Pauls Mott then it becomes Vinson.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

we've seen sharks in Vinson on storm tides, also on Cedar Bayou flats, tailing like redfish.
You can connect all those by airboat, but in storm tides you can chug a power boat in airboat trails.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

The tides were normal to a little above, that is what made me curious. The oyster reefs I use and duck blinds for water depth were normal, but the grass was thick, all the way to the surface, and in places that I have not seen. I would think then the salinity, high temps, and possibly the mangroves being damaged… I hope it will make the fishing better overall, bringing possibly “new” redfish and black drum to the area in search of little creatures in the grass :o

Yes, I should have been more specific about fence lake. I would definitely recommend mothershiping out there but a powerboat trip in there is nice too :wink:. Good place for fly fishing I have heard.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thank You to Neumie for finding and bringing all my stuff together. You really went out of your way and I will try my hardest to remember this username/password/email. :lol: Its weird seeing stuff from 2009 but funny nonetheless.... :oops:
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Ron Mc wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:23 pm You can connect all those by airboat, but in storm tides you can chug a power boat in airboat trails.
Yep I've fished that area from a boat for years. You can go from Allyns all the way to Cedar Bayou in the back lakes in a prop boat not only in a storm tide but also in a slightly higher than normal tide like we had this past Saturday. Just needs to be a shallow running flats boat.