New Red Snapper Regs

SWFinatic

New Red Snapper Regs

Post by SWFinatic »

Guys a reminder as we get ready to go offshore and hopefully run into some red snapper this season there is a new law that requires vessels to have on board either a venting tool (and you have to know how to use it) or a rigged descending device if they are fishing for red snapper or of course if you have red snapper on board in the bag. This goes for anyone in the Gulf of Mexico waters. For kayaks a venting tool will be the easiest because it prevents us from having to have a rigged with a descending device on board which takes up a lot more room.

You can go the site below and learn more about each device and register for a free descending device.

https://returnemright.org/
Endo

Re: New Red Snapper Regs

Post by Endo »

Thanks for the reminder on this.

Interestingly the law seems to only requires commercial and recreational reef fishers to carry a device...not actually use it. At least its not clearly spelled out, left a bit nebulous. Giving recommended usage guidance if the fish shows signs of barotrauma.

Seems it is in-practice it is left up to the judgement and conservational ethics of the people on the boat.

Endo

Post by Endo »

Also, it appears that this rule is only applicable to the Gulf of Mexico Exclusive Economic Zone, which if you look it up, the inner boundary of this (nearest the shore) is bound by the state waters. Which in Texas is 9 miles. So the way I read it is that this Descend Act does not apply if you are fishing within state waters, only federal waters.

From NOAA website:

"Note: Under certain U.S. fisheries laws, such as the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, the term "exclusive economic zone" is defined as having an inner boundary that is coterminous with the seaward (or outer) boundary of each of the coastal states. While its outer limit is the same as the EEZ on NOAA charts, its inner limit is coterminous with the coastal states' boundary at 3 nautical miles, except for Texas, western Florida, and Puerto Rico, which claim a 9 nautical mile belt."

Some of the communication from the TPWD website and the emails i've received from them do not clarify this...they only say all Gulf of Mexico. So they are mis stating what the new law is.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think this new law applies to fishing in State waters.

Here is a link to the actual verbiage of the Descend Act if you want to read it:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... /5126/text

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Endo I've asked for clarification on this from TPWD and haven't received any response. I read what you stated and hear what you are saying but puzzled as to why Texas Parks and Wildlife department sent out a press release on this if they have nothing to do with it.