Transporting 15.7' kayak

Kitsune

Re: Transporting 15.7' kayak

Post by Kitsune »

Onski326 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:45 am
Kitsune wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:38 am Is it just me or does car-topping seems oddly easier than the bed of truck? One would think the opposite, but my experiences are telling me different. I guess this only applies to Kayaks that one can lift high, but with Yakima products, that has become much easier. Both have their perks, but I have found car-topping to be a not-so-bad endeavor if one is capable. The benefits of a smaller vehicle without using a trailer does seem advantageous for some.
When I was hauling in my truck bed I could load a lot of equipment ahead of time in the kayak and have it ready to go. On top of the car, I have to take everything out, remove rod holders, depth finder, transducer, battery box, crate, etc. As it's 76lbs empty. I do miss that. Tying down in a truck was easier by far, 1 strap vs 3 with this 16'. Even my Tarpon 100 was much simpler in the bed of a truck. I'm actually looking at converting an old double jet ski trailer I have laying around to accommodate kayaks just so I don't have to pack and install everything at the launch site. I can do it the night before and loading it up on the trailer to go home would be considerably faster too if I don't have to take everything out so I can get it on the roof.
I guess if I were just going for a paddle and not fishing, I wouldn't need much and then car topping would be quicker and less hassle but all the extra fishing equipment makes it a bit time consuming for me. Just my experience.
Those are certainly the perks for trucks. Especially if your garage/circumstances allows one to load up the night before without worry of theft. I also liked that I could get the bed of a truck dirty without worrying about being so picky with my SUV. All good points, I don’t have a battery, fish finder, or rod holders I have to install. My kayak weights 50 pounds at 14ft so it’s really quick in and out. Trucks certainly make transporting two or more kayaks much easier. I go back and forth 😆
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Transporting 15.7' kayak

Post by Ron Mc »

The '05 F150 finally gave up, slipping 3rd after 250,380 mi (made it to Boerne on Amman Rd in 2nd gear)

Ahhhh...

When I left, my dealer said, "See ya again in 18 years"