Coming back around

Onski326

Coming back around

Post by Onski326 »

So apparently a good while back when I dabbled in kayak fishing, I joined up with this group. Now my 7 year old son is very into fishing in our pond and I thought a couple kayaks would be fun and now he's obsessed and it has gotten me rejuvenated in the sport. I've been out of it for a while but picked up an old beat up Vapor Angler 10 and a Kingfish 12 for $100 each with paddles. Should have known it would start off like this again. Bought a rigging kit to get both kayaks refinished. The Vapor is going to need painted. Someone tried and did a terrible job. Going later today to pick up a Garmin Striker 4 I found on Marketplace for mine (not sure the 7 year old needs his own fish finder yet, lol). Wish me luck guys on my re-journey into kayak fishing.
impulse

Re: Coming back around

Post by impulse »

Does anyone make a a paint that will look good on roto molded PE, and hold up at all?
Onski326

Post by Onski326 »

impulse wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:03 pm Does anyone make a a paint that will look good on roto molded PE, and hold up at all?
I've seen a few where they've used Krylon Fusion. Can't find which clear coat they used but he did say after clear coating that it was much more durable
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Onski326 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:17 pm
impulse wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:03 pm Does anyone make a a paint that will look good on roto molded PE, and hold up at all?
I've seen a few where they've used Krylon Fusion. Can't find which clear coat they used but he did say after clear coating that it was much more durable
I would start with a pressure washer and knock off as much of the old paint as possible. I used up to a 20 degree nozzle on a pressure safely with my kayaks avoiding foam seats and handles as best I could. You'll want to start from as clean of slate as possible.

I had a kayak that had gotten some overspray from a painting project and safely removed it with lacquer thinner. I highly suggest doing a test spot when applying cleaners/chemicals before going full bore. This should get you back down to the original plastic, and honestly I would leave it at that.

If you want to repaint the kayak then you need to make sure you are fastidious when cleaning and prepping for the new paint. Fusion seems to be the popular choice but like you I'm not sure what clear coat people use.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Never tried to paint a kayak. I've seen it done and from what I've seen it never sticks. Most kayaks are slick so the kayak would likely need to be sanded before painting. I would look into an elastomeric paint that would flex with the kayak.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I've seen a lot of YouTubes where people painted their PE kayaks, but I haven't seen one yet where it didn't start scraping off when they actually used the 'yak.

I'm open to the possibility that some of the new fangled adhesion improvers (or flame spraying) may work on PE. But so far, I'm unconvinced that anything will improve paint adhesion to PE- at least to the point it will look better after spending hours and $$$ on painting it than it looked before the all the effort.

I'd certainly camo one up if that's the objective, but understanding that it won't be cosmetically appealing after a few trips, just camo.

I live in eternal optimism that someone will prove me wrong with a high tech nano graphene goop...
Onski326

Post by Onski326 »

Well I don't have much of a choice. Someone already tried painting this one. Even scuffed up the finish a bit so thinner or brake cleaner isn't having the desired effect. It's a pond boat for my son so we're going to attempt a 2-tone grey battleship color. His idea. lol