How to fix leakage - Fishing Kayak?

Swephoenix

How to fix leakage - Fishing Kayak?

Post by Swephoenix »

Hi friends,

Please see attached image.

Whenever I use my pedal system and the propeller I get loads of water into my kayak which with time will make it become destabilized and sink. I've tried to wrap the flexible rope harder around the screws but it does not help, there needs to be something else that pushes the plastic hatch down with as much force that is pushed up.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this? Big thanks
Attachments
Leak.jpg.1289f7f18dd9ffe95a0b32dac4c41516.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: How to fix leakage - Fishing Kayak?

Post by Neumie »

You could add some sort of adhesive gasket material to the bottom of lid.

However, If you are getting enough water in your kayak that it's noticeably affecting the stability it sounds like you have a bigger issue. You need to be looking for holes in kayak. Use a flashlight and check the "seams" (the line that forms where the top and bottom molds meet when the kayak is made) in the kayak in the pedal drive opening and scupper holes as these will be the likely culprit. Check any deep scratches. I'd remove the rudder and inspect that area as well. If you can't visually see anything with a flashlight you may need to fill the kayak up with water (while sitting on concrete or wood deck to help identify where the leak maybe coming from).
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Swephoenix wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:12 pm Hi friends,

Please see attached image.

Whenever I use my pedal system and the propeller I get loads of water into my kayak which with time will make it become destabilized and sink. I've tried to wrap the flexible rope harder around the screws but it does not help, there needs to be something else that pushes the plastic hatch down with as much force that is pushed up.

Do you have any idea on how to fix this? Big thanks
Welcome to the forum!

Are you getting water into the hull of the kayak or just water coming into the cockpit from around the pedal drive then draining out the scupper holes?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The worst boat of all time for taking in water is the Emotion Fisherman.
That giant floor hatch was made to stash full-length rods - more like float them.
Lou loves this boat, and takes out a big sponge.