Fishing Report San Luis Pass area 6-17-22

Tenore

Fishing Report San Luis Pass area 6-17-22

Post by Tenore »

This is a cautionary tale mixed with a fishing report. This area is infamous for dangerous currents and we experienced unexpectedly strong tidal currents from the incoming tide on the morning of 6-17-2022. We launched from the County park at around 7am and went north towards Bird Island to ride the tide. We intended to go back to the Titlum-Tatlum bayou area after the tide peaked at around 10am. We got to Bird island very quickly but did not get into any fish, plus there were too many PBs so we decided to go back against the tide earlier than planned. We made it to gps 29.0883313, -95.1420897 when we hit a wall of tidal flow that just poured into that deep channel. My two friends have Autopilots and these were straining but could move against the current. My pedal drive could barely make forward progress so we ducked into a small cove on the north shore that sheltered us from the current. Until the tide changed, I was trapped but I am pretty sure the APs could have towed me out so I had some options.

As we stayed by this protected area to wait out the tide it was a productive for flounder and specs. The tide created an ebb in this cove and we fished the boundary of a steep drop off and shallow sand bar. I think the fish were also seeking shelter. Finally the tidal current relented and we made it through our itinerary. We also got into some small reds and flounders around the entrance of TT bayou. It was a strange day where we also got hit by a good thunderstorm. This is not an area to explore solo and certainly make sure you know the conditions and plan accordingly.
Attachments
06B91761-D0EF-45C2-BE22-2D1059CE6663.jpeg
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fishing Report San Luis Pass area 6-17-22

Post by shoffer »

A well-written, informative report, Tenore. Well done. I agree with your sentiments about the area.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great stuff.

Tides have a way of concentrating bait at outlet-side eddies. That, of course, draws gamefish.
Tobin made a great video on tides, and offers it gratis on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8H0c6pOm2g
Tenore

Post by Tenore »

Ron,

That is an excellent video! Thanks so much!

Donn
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you're welcome - Tobin's lures are great, too.