Mayan Princess today 6/25

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Mayan Princess today 6/25

Post by Prof. Salt »

Surf was supposed to be 3.1’ at daybreak. It was not. Surf was pounding and as I passed the third bar I got crushed by a wave that slapped me on TOP of the head. Total submarine action was surprisingly successful and I kept moving. Thought I was out, but at the fourth bar (it almost never breaks out there) I encountered a 5.5-6’ roller that scared me. Foam was only up to my pfd and I pushed through fine but wow it was something to see. Once out it was just a bumpy and windy ride, but by 10 the wind had come down to a nice level and the whitecaps became spotty rather than constant. At the big rig I found jacks on the SW corner and collected three before a sport fisher pulled up and killed the action. After he left I got a good Spanish at the same rig.

Water clarity is still good and I saw several schools of Spanish or Bonita busting under birds, but I didn’t feel like chasing in the sloppy conditions. Coming in the surf had dropped to the forecast 2.5 and was easy. It was impressive that in half a day it could go from nasty to nice, but there it was.

When I had arrived at the beach at dawn there were a few other guys ready to launch a Hobie TI and another kayak down the beach from where I launch. They attempted it and realized it’s much larger than it looks from the sand. I guess they left because I didn’t see anyone else out there. Looks like next week may offer ice cream conditions!
SWFinatic

Re: Mayan Princess today 6/25

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for the report. I've been watching the wind forecast and it hasn't been in line with the surf forecast all week.
andrewthanhvu

Post by andrewthanhvu »

Hey there professor salt! I have been kayak fishing for a while but am doing my first BTB tomorrow at MP. Just wanted to say thank you for all you do and for being an invaluable resource to us guys/gals who are new to this! If you are free would love to see you out there.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks! You guys will have to go without me tomorrow but I hope the fish play along for you. It looks like conditions will be great.
savoltage

Post by savoltage »

I was down there for the newbie trip that didn't happen. Ended up taking my Shearwater 125 on Saturday around noon with really nothing just to see if I could make it out to the blue water and not worry about loosing gear. I have never been in the surf before on a kayak.

Strangely enough I hoped in, cranked the bixpy up to top speed and never had any issues, just plowed though. Made it out to the blue water, turned around and came in without issue.

I am excited to actually give an actual trip out an attempt.