Freeport Area Marsh 7/3

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Freeport Area Marsh 7/3

Post by karstopo »

Knocked the rust off today and made my first kayak trip since early in February. Met my buddy Rick at the launch at 6:15. We saw some fish early, I cast over a chartreuse skitterwalk over to a back out of the water red next to a clump of shell and got the eat, 19” fish to hand. The water wasn’t too clear, not exactly opaque either, but not more than a foot of visiblilty. Wind was tame. Water levels middle of the road, rising slowly, at least initially.

Rick got some blow ups, but no hook ups. I got one good red to take the skitterwalk, but the fish came off. Then, one little redfish was feeding around some cordgrass and I tossed over a pink gartside soft hackle streamer and got the eat. 18” redfish to hand.

Rick decided to head way back into the narrow little drains kind of marsh and I stayed more into the bigger water. He made the right choice, fish were way up in the tiny drains and he got three solid slot redfish to 27” on tops and tails. Me, I got a variety of rat reds, a better croaker, and a tiny drum. Saw a couple of big uglies, but no takes.

I was looking forward to some fresh redfish, but maybe next time. Beach Traffic was backed up to beyond bucees at FM 523, this at 10:30 am on the trip home.
Tenore

Re: Freeport Area Marsh 7/3

Post by Tenore »

Thanks for the report, We may try this area later in the week.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Freeport Area Marsh 7/3

Post by Ron Mc »

just found this - thanks for the good report