AP July 4th

Kitsune

AP July 4th

Post by Kitsune »

Started kayaking around 6:15am entering LHL with a low tide. I ran into several large black drum among entrance that were working the edges and oyster reefs. They become a little too difficult to trick with my lures so I moved on. Just a little further in LHL at the end of a gut I caught around 4-6 dink trout quickly. I have not had much luck with trout in this location so it was a nice surprise. I moved on and didn't see anything the further I got into LHL. ONE really good thing is the grass I was writing about 2 months ago has laid down and is no longer an issue in many areas. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I am really excited to report that it was fish-able on a lower tide. I decided to go into the big bay blind casting long distances with top-waters and spoons.

I thoroughly love blind casting, esp when the spot has all the checks (bait, depth, moving water, holes, clarity,). It is funny how many times I will be drifting along with no hits and all of a sudden a group of reds just swim up on me. Many times I do not see these fish from the surface, they don't make wakes, show tails, chase bait, or show themselves....but they are there. I love it when fish wave at me to come and get them, but these large schools of reds do not do that. I have seen people go right on by because they are not showing themselves. In addition, I catch a lot of my bigger trout blind casting for redfish. Nonetheless, I ran into two of these big schools of reds and managed to pull a redfish out of each. The redfish in these schools were in the 25-29in range..... both hooked fish had big reds following them to the boat.. just an amazing experience all in all. I drifted a long ways and had quite the paddle back with a headwind of 15mph. I often wonder why I don't have a power boat or peddle drive by now, but when I look down and see these beautiful fish looking back at me, I put the paddle to the water and just cruise on .... by the time I know it, I am at the vehicle with tired arms, sore back, and a little wet....but the satisfaction of throwing it on top of the car and driving away on my own time and dime holds all the answers I need.
july 4.jpg
july 4 2.jpg
Last edited by Kitsune on Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: AP July 4th

Post by Dandydon »

Congratulations on catching those solid Redfish, Kitsune. Your fishing report was entertaining and reminded me of years padding my wide Malibu Two kayak.

I loved that yak but was stoked to finally upgrade to a peddle-drive Hobie Outback. That's something to look forward to.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Tenore

Post by Tenore »

Thanks for the excellent report. Will be going to the area next month hopefully!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Dandydon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:33 am Congratulations on catching those solid Redfish, Kitsune. Your fishing report was entertaining and reminded me of years padding my wide Malibu Two kayak.

I loved that yak but was stoked to finally upgrade to a peddle-drive Hobie Outback. That's something to look forward to.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
It sure is.... the new hobie lynx keeps me wanting more. I just really enjoy paddling and I like the upper body workout.