Tiki 7/15

mwatson71

Tiki 7/15

Post by mwatson71 »

I launched at Fat Boys around 2:00a to fish the lights on the south side of the island. I have found a few lights that consistently hold the majority of the fish that I keep so I made a plan to hit them and not waste time at any other lights. The current was ripping pretty good and the tide was pretty low. As expected, the first light I hit gave up a speck on the first cast, but it was about 1/2 inch too short. And oddly, that was the only fish it gave up after about a dozen more casts.

The second light gave up a few dinks as well but about 100 yards away I could see and hear slashes in a few other lights. As I approached, my heart started racing I could see several large trout in each of four lights. These lights were not on my plan as I have fished them dozens of times in the past with little luck. My first cast came up short and landed smack dab in the middle of the light. Frustrated, I started reeling it back quickly to try to get another cast in before I drifted past and spooked the fish. THUMP! Immediate hook up and landed an 18” speck. I could see the other trout had either gone deep or dispersed so I went to the next light 20 yards away. Cast past the light, count the three, two flicks of the wrist and set the hook. 17” speck added to the stringer. For the next 30-45 minutes, every cast resulted in a speck between 14-17”. I easily could have kept another 5-6 out of that pocket of lights. But I had other plans. As I pedaled away, I kept thinking “don’t leave fish to find fish.”

I made my way to my third planned light and caught a few more dinks and a few in the 15” range that probably would have kept but I knew there were better fish to be found. As I reeled in to move to my next light, I saw the shadow of what I thought was a red swim through the light and turn. I stopped reeling and let the lure drop hoping it would take it. BAM! The fight was on, but instead of a red it was a 19” speck. Add it to the stringer.

At my fourth light, it was more dinks and a really big sand trout. The only sand trout I saw all night. And not a single red oddly enough because my last trip was almost non-stop red action at light number three. Oh well.

Pedaling back in I decided to make a few casts into the shallows to see if I could find a flounder. I haven’t caught a single flounder all year. Throwing right next to a piling I was sure held a flounder did in fact lead to a hook up, but instead of a flatty it was a 21” speck. I would have released her but when it hit I did the flounder “count to three” before setting the hook and she managed to swallow my lure and I ripped out a few of her gills. Rather the try to release a trout that wasn’t going to survive I stuck her on the stringer and called it a day.

Off the water by 6:00a. I probably caught 50-60 specks between 12-21” with at least 10 in the slot range.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Tiki 7/15

Post by karstopo »

Excellent! Love a good thump. Always fun to have some good action. Funny how the fish weren’t at their normal lights. I get reminders like that from time to time that the fish are really totally free to be wherever they want to be and are completely independent from and not bound to any plans or thoughts or preconceptions I might have about where they should be. It’s good to try and narrow down where they might be in advance, but have enough flexibility in the plan to allow for course corrections.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Well done, sir!
impulse

Post by impulse »

The lights have definitely been weird this year... Nothing like the past 3 years since I've been here on a canal in Sea Isle. The fish are around, just not in the same places. And only cruising through the lights instead of lingering.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I like this...no hot sun or crowds, typically low winds, and still sight-casting. I think you are on to something. :clap:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Kitsune wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:02 am I like this...no hot sun or crowds, typically low winds, and still sight-casting. I think you are on to something. :clap:
Shhhhhhhhhh…..we don’t want others to figure it out.

Just kidding. I’ve been posting about night time adventures for years now and it really has become one of my favorite ways to fish. It takes a little adjusting at first, but once you get into a comfort zone it is hard to beat. And there’s normally a couple of other guys with me so we have the safety in numbers working for us as well.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I'm one of "those other guys" who fishes with Watson since he's a member of the Hobie Navy. Congrats on kayak-fishing that TIKI Trout frenzy, Capt. Watson!

Were you tossing one of your beloved Vudu SHAD lures? Next time give us a day's notice so Shoffer & I can join you.

During this brutal stretch of 100° temperatures, I repeat "The nighttime is the right time!" Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

mwatson71 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:12 pm
Kitsune wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:02 am I like this...no hot sun or crowds, typically low winds, and still sight-casting. I think you are on to something. :clap:
Shhhhhhhhhh…..we don’t want others to figure it out.

Just kidding. I’ve been posting about night time adventures for years now and it really has become one of my favorite ways to fish. It takes a little adjusting at first, but once you get into a comfort zone it is hard to beat. And there’s normally a couple of other guys with me so we have the safety in numbers working for us as well.
I envy the night owls. I'm an early bird, bed by 9pm up at 4am :lol: If I had insomnia or a night job, THIS ^ is what I would be doing.
Last edited by Kitsune on Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

101F1A13-7C9A-45F4-81FD-CB69BEF8DF33.jpeg
Armed with my Sarge Custom BOHICA loaded with Egret Baits Vudu Shad in glow/chartreuse.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hard to beat the classic glow Vudu Shad! That's a fantastic photo of the cloud-draped moon looking down over your kayak. See you soon, Watson.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks for the report and photo(s). Enjoyed it.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Ron Mc wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:19 pm Thanks for the report and photo(s). Enjoyed it.
I figured I would post something other than my cleaning table with dead fish on it. Nothing wrong with those pictures mind you, but I thought this moon looked particularly fetching.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Dandydon wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:15 pm Hard to beat the classic glow Vudu Shad! That's a fantastic photo of the cloud-draped moon looking down over your kayak. See you soon, Watson.

I figured I would post something other than my cleaning table with dead fish on it. Nothing wrong with those pictures mind you, but I thought this moon looked particularly fetching.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

mwatson71 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:22 pm 101F1A13-7C9A-45F4-81FD-CB69BEF8DF33.jpeg

Armed with my Sarge Custom BOHICA loaded with Egret Baits Vudu Shad in glow/chartreuse.
That is one badass photo. I definitely dig this. Congrats on a fantastic night outing. I'm waiting for a good wind/weather window to hit the causeway