Aug 6 BTB

John Hall

Aug 6 BTB

Post by John Hall »

1st post...I think

A little over 3 years ago a buddy suggested we do BTB, told him he was insane. Fast Forward 3 years and now eagerly looking forward to 1st time out hopefully on Aug 6th, wind and weather permitting. Last year was supposed to be the year, but COVID had other plans for us.....

Have been building up to this over the past few years, upgraded to a Jackson Coosa FD for me, will be renting a Hobie for my son. Got Standard Horizon HX890 radios for both of us. Gonna use this as reason for a set of new rods and reels for us both.

A couple questions I have for the group.

Why would we have or carry a gaff as suggested? When would you gaff a fish?

Seems like gloves are a must for handling fish? Open finger or full encapsulated fingers?

Anchors.....havent seen videos where anyone has employed them at/near the rigs.

Lures or bait? Had a banner day catching some skip jack and have some ribbon fish and other offshore baits can bring. Are we inviting the sharks or....

Sharks....exciting or oh crap moment first time out? My son is a shark MAGNET in the past few months with a 50+" blacktip, a 7-8' sandbar, some spinners and smaller blacktips. My recent claim to fame was a 4'+ 21# barracuda....such an angry fish with such a bad attitude..... Cut the line or.......

Life vests, auto inflate, manual inflate or a thick insulating coat since Aug might be a tad chilly/brisk?
Killerbee

Re: Aug 6 BTB

Post by Killerbee »

As far as a gaff it depends on how you want to land fish. If you are going to be keeping kings and such it's just easier to gaff them. Cobia are another animal all together. If you completely wear them down you can boat and dispatch them easily. Keep in mind that this will take a lot of time and if there is structure or sharks about then it may turn into a S#!+ show. Prof Salt has a great video on making a lightweight gaff from a golf club that is great! Even though I grab most fish by the tail I still carry one on my boat just in case. I wear gloves mainly to keep the sun off. I look like a mummy when I am out there as I am fair skinned. Bring lots of water and snacks and stay hydrated. I will wet my head and neck throughout the day and it helps immensely. I like NRS chinook lifevests but there are a lot of great brands out there. Make sure you have a good vhf waterproof radio. I use standard horizon. I have one that is going on 5+ years now with heavy use. Make yourself a rig hook to hook off to the rigs for rest or to fish. Once again Prof salt has a great video on a lightweight rig hook.

Watch the weather ( I use weather underground for a weather app). Get swell info or magic sea weed for info on swell and tides. Keep your head on a swivel out there!!!! Have a knife handy that you can get in a hurry, and train yourself to get it quick!

A big fish is a big fish, shark or otherwise. Play them out! Keep them out in front of you while they are green. Sharks will start to go belly up when they are getting tired. Be careful as they sometimes play possum. Loosen your drag when they are close in case they make a hard run next to the boat. I have been using heavy mono for leader as it's easier to cut. Hate leaving hooks in them but its next to impossible to get the hooks out and keep all your limbs intact in a kayak. Be mindful of sharks if you have any other type of fish on. They can come out of no when trying to get your catch.

Make sure you let someone know where you will be and always stick to that plan. Leash it or loose it! I have learned this lesson the hard way and continue to go to the same remedial class every year lol! Most of all have fun! It's not as bad as folks build it up to be if you play it smart! If I can help with any other questions feel free to ask!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Killerbee on Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Hey Killer Bee,

Love your and Prof Salt YT channel. Keep em coming.

We are going with a large group organized by Yakkity Yak, so all good there. Appreciate all the info.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

John Hall wrote:Hey Killer Bee,

Love your and Prof Salt YT channel. Keep em coming.

We are going with a large group organized by Yakkity Yak, so all good there. Appreciate all the info.
I may make that event again this year. Hope to meet you there man.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk