Advise on purchasing a Kayak

shipwreck

Advise on purchasing a Kayak

Post by shipwreck »

Greetings,
I've been contemplating purchasing a fishing kayak for a while. I've viewed more YouTube Kayak reviews and online searches than you can imagine.
I live in Texas City and plan on fishin' the bays and occasionally heading out to the jetties. I've viewed some BTB videos and that looks like fun too, once I get more confidence. My desired propulsion system will be a transom mount electric motor. Stability is high on the list.
I think I've got it narrowed down to Nucanoe, either F10 or Frontier 12. I like the weight and uncluttered deck and the price isn't bad.
Anyone have any comments or recommendations?
Thanks,
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Advise on purchasing a Kayak

Post by Kayak Kid »

Both are good kayaks (all kayaks are good).

Between the two, I would definitely consider the F 12. No kayak that short with a 35" beam is going to paddle exceptionally well, but that additional two feet brings a lot to the table. More room, more stability, tracks better, and is over all safer (the waters along the jetties can, at times, get very hairy...,real fast).

A rudder makes life aboard a kayak much more comfortable. Combine a sturdy golf umbrella with that rudder and you can come home easier than paddling, and usually faster than the electric motor can propel you.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I’ve been doing the same thing, but not anywhere near my first kayak. I used to lean toward the F12 but decided and heard that it was a real beast. Now I’m leaning toward Crescent Kayaks, either their CK1 or Crew, the new Shoalie (sp?) is getting good reviews too but I like a more open deck.
DUKFVR

Post by DUKFVR »

JW FunGuy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:00 am I’ve been doing the same thing, but not anywhere near my first kayak. I used to lean toward the F12 but decided and heard that it was a real beast. Now I’m leaning toward Crescent Kayaks, either their CK1 or Crew, the new Shoalie (sp?) is getting good reviews too but I like a more open deck.
I have the Crescent lite tackle. Very happy with it. Use it duck hunting & fishing. Paddles good.

Had a Nucanoe F12. Wish I had kept it too. LOTS of room ,but is a handful to paddle in wind etc. With the troll motor you will be ral happy with it I bet. I almost put a small outboard on mine, but bought an aluminum boat instead.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

I agree on a minimum length of 12' for a PWC with a motor. Paddling will be a chore regardless. I sure wouldn't rely on a motorized PWC getting through the surf so that poses a problem if you want to do BTB. Most any 35"+ wide boat will handle a motor OK and your real expense will come from the purchase of a lithium battery and charger. I'd watch the used market for what you mentioned. Lots of owners become disenchanted with their big heavy "kayaks" and sell lightly used for much less than new.
Few people mention the Pelican line of boats. They offer a few prewired for motors. I built my motoyak on a Pelican Catch 12 due to it's weight capacity (#400) and light weight (sub #80). I'm very pleased with the comfort, fishability, speed, range and the total build price
Have fun shopping :mrgreen:
impulse

Post by impulse »

I realize this doesn't answer the specific questions from the OP. But here's my $50 solution to the same $ thousand dollar question. Just about any kayak can take a motor with a little modification... That's a 2HP Yamaha. I took it offshore in Thailand on many occasions, though this photo was taken a few miles from the Bridge on the River Kwai.

Yes, those are $10 boogie boards on 3" x 1/4" aluminum angle with a 2x8 for a motor mount. All in, less than $50 of modification (plus the motor). Completely removable with 2 bolts for easy transport and those days when I just wanted to paddle.

I'm with motoyak. Buy 2nd hand to see how you like it before you splurge for a brandy new 'yak. If you don't like it, you haven't taken the depreciation hit. If you love it, keep it as a spare (kayaking is more fun with friends- many of whom don't have their own) and buy a new one for yourself.
Attachments
Kayak Outriggers.jpg
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I think it's a mistake to buy a kayak and rely solely on a motor to move the kayak. It's a kayak and it will need to be paddled at some point.

Also the Frontier 12 is a solid platform for calmer waters where distance isn't too far. I think it should be used with caution in the bay when the winds are up (which is most of the time) due to the high sides and certainly shouldn't be used at the jetties or BTB. The center of gravity is too high (with the high seat) and this kayak in choppy waters becomes a really unstable kayak.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Reread the OPs questions and thought I'd offer another solution. Go the rental route for trying out kayaks, might be money well spent 8)
impulse

Post by impulse »

motoyak wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:20 am Reread the OPs questions and thought I'd offer another solution. Go the rental route for trying out kayaks, might be money well spent 8)
I agree that renting would be a great idea, but is there anywhere to rent a selection of mid-higher end kayaks to try out different models?

All of the places I know in Galveston rent clapped out, bare bones kayaks for weekenders renting a place at the beach. Usually the same places that rent out golf carts.

If anyone knows of a good rental place, that would be great info...
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

impulse wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:17 pm
motoyak wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:20 am Reread the OPs questions and thought I'd offer another solution. Go the rental route for trying out kayaks, might be money well spent 8)
If anyone knows of a good rental place, that would be great info...
I certainly would and might be hard to find.

Another option is just ask around. Kayaker fisherman will usually help one another out. I don't think it would be asking too much to ask someone if you can take their kayak for a spin especially if you can catch them at the water coming in after a trip.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

For sure on the advice to ask around. I was all set to buy a new kayak being convinced with all the Memetube ratings. Chatted with a fellow at the launch that had the exact model I was eyeballing. He allowed me to take a spin in his I didn't go 50 yrds before I knew this boat wasn't for me. Nothing beats personal seat time. Had the same experience at a ACK demo days in the era of paddle kayaks. I tried several comparable kayaks trying to keep an open mind. The one I bought (Search13) was not the one I had intended to (Hobie). Both were very good but one slightly "fit" me better.