Beach update, Galveston west end. Finally looks good.

impulse

Beach update, Galveston west end. Finally looks good.

Post by impulse »

For the first time in months, there's green(ish) water to the first bar at the Sea Isle beach on the west end of Galvatraz. Surf's about a foot...

The T160 will be strapped on top the van today for some trolling around for whatever bites a spoon or a swimming minnow. Nobody's fishing the beach this morning, but that's normal for a Wednesday morning. It should get busy when vacationers wake up and get some coffee into them. It was about 1/4 full yesterday afternoon and that's a pretty good number of people. It gets completely full on most summer weekends, with lots of cars and trucks in overflow parking.

The tide in West Bay is high while the tide at the beach side is low, so I imagine the water's ripping through San Luis Pass. But I haven't driven down to check. Maybe later today...
impulse

Re: Beach update, Galveston west end. Finally looks good.

Post by impulse »

Still looking good. The surf's up a little from the squalls that blew through last night. But the water is still green(ish) and surf is low enough to wade out without getting beat up.

This morning, about a dozen anglers were fishing the Sea Isle beach. I guess word gets around...
impulse

Post by impulse »

Just got back from trolling around a little offshore. Swells picked up and the current toward the south made me paddle at my normal trolling speed just to stay in place. Then I logrolled on my way in. How embarrassing...

I didn't stay out long because it was rougher than I like to paddle solo. But several guys claimed to have limits of trout in the morning before it got rough. Another guy showed me photos of limits from SLP this morning.

Water still looks great and green, but it's a little tough to wade without getting beat up in the surf. Looks like morning is the time to go.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Don't be embarrassed about that it happens to all of us eventually.

Thanks for the report!
impulse

Post by impulse »

Update as of Friday afternoon is that the surf is gorgeous at the Sea Isle beach.

Green(ish) to the first cut and tiny waves. We'll have to see if it holds up through the holiday weekend.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Getting rolled in the surf is for rookies and pikers. :D :D :D

Seriously, you haven't lived until you have a fully loaded Hobie PA 14 roll on top of you. Reporting for a friend. :dance:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Surf was rough at the first bars this morning, but pretty flat farther out. I didn’t feel like getting wet so drive over to the Galveston Fishing Pier, paid my $15, and caught 6-7 really nice Spanish mackerel. I lost a bunch more because they kept shredding my leader and slicing thru my Vudu mullet, including one that was easily in the 24” range. A guy eneded up giving me some steel line so I fashioned a makeshift leader and tied on a silver Sprite spoon. I ended up with another 4-5 smacks.

I released most of them but gave a couple to the guy that gave me the leader material. All I had with me were two rods and a small tackle box. Fished from 7a-9a when the major was predicted, but had to get back to check on two sleeping teen boys so I left them biting.
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

I went out from Surfside beach on Sunday, water was pretty flat and clear. Tide was low but just about to turn I think. I hooked 3 lady fish one after the other on the first pass trolling a Gold Sprite. One strike after that. Then I think the tide went slack and the action died. I tried out past the third bar for a bit but the wind was starting to kick up and after a bit with no strikes. I went in and called it a day. It was my first paddle on a kayak in about 20 years. I felt good to be back. My Yak is a 2015? OK Trident 13. It feels faster and more stable than my old Prism, and is better outfitted. I need a better longer paddle though.