Corpus Christi Area - Aransas Pass Area - Living

loonycamp

Corpus Christi Area - Aransas Pass Area - Living

Post by loonycamp »

Hi guys, I'm still really new to saltwater fishing but my Wife and I are just tired of living in the great hive of Houston and want out. We are strongly considering moving to the corpus christi area, which town would depend on work for me. Do you guys have any information that would be useful for someone that really doesn't know much about the area?
I know alot of people will say to reconsider for this or that reason, and I need to know all of those opinions but I want to remphesize that we are really tired of battling traffic each time we go to coast on the weekend. Each and every time we are just totally spent from the entire effort just to do the things we love.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Corpus Christi Area - Aransas Pass Area - Living

Post by Neumie »

I spend quite a bit of time in Rockport and went to college at Texas A&M - Corpus Christi.

If I were moving there I would look at Portland/Gregory. Ingleside is a surprisingly a decent small town. I would not live in Aransas Pass unless it were a handful of nice neighborhoods. Flour Bluff is a good area near the water in Nueces County.

If you have kids and they are still in school Flour Bluff ISD is a great school district as is Gregory Portland ISD.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

loonycamp: I've lived in the Coastal Bend for the last seven years, halfway between Rockport and Aransas Pass. It's changed a lot, and much more growth is on the way. Corpus is about 400K people, not counting the illegals. Two major freeways, horrible city streets, flooding, traffic congestion six days a week. The someday-to-be-completed Harbor Bridge will change things, and probably not for the better. All the growth is on the South side. Flour Bluff has good areas and bad. Seaworthy Marine opened a store there and closed it shortly, because the druggies broke in EVERY week. Portland/Gregory has grown a lot, since about six industrial plants have been built in Ingleside and up toward Sinton, with more under construction. Lots of people are moving out of town to Odem and Taft, but I'm sure they are getting crowded. Aransas Pass has a few nice areas, but is mostly seedy. I don't know about schools in the area.
When I moved here, someone on the TKF Forum complained about vehicle burglaries, and someone commented that the Mexican border is really a line from Corpus to Laredo. Nothing we can do about that, apparently.
I'm not trying to be cynical, just telling you what I have seen in the last seven years. I don't know about your work location, but if I were you, I'd think about a six-month rental until you get the lay of the land. I also am certain that this area is leaps and bounds better than the Houston quagmire! I lived in Kemah in '86/87. and hated every minute of it, and that was the best part of the bay area. I can't imagine Houston now.
But, boy, do we have lots of great fishing areas! I don't fish weekends, because of the influx of flatlanders.
Good luck, TexasJim
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

So many factors to consider. Budget? Kids? Race/ethnicity? Job locations? Do you want to live on the mainland or the island? My prior law firm was based in Corpus so I made fairly regular “work” trips down there. I never thought about living in CC until I realized how affordable it is compared to Houston.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

My DIL’s aunt just moved from Rockport to here in Lake Jackson and they like it here much better. I can’t recall all the reasons, though. Property crime might have been one reason.

The one big thing I don’t like about the Lake Jackson area is Hurricane Season. But, moving to Corpus is like going from the frying pan into the fire in that regard.

Fishing opportunities are prime here, even if many perhaps don’t agree or realize it. The water quality is good if you know what you are doing and where you are going. It astounds me that so many people leave from here with their trailered boats and gear and drive to all those miles to the general The Corpus Christi/Rockport/Aransas Pass area to catch the same fish, often in lesser numbers and quality than can regularly be had here. My daughter and her cousin and their husbands did this just last weekend. Drug their boat down there and all the gear and expense for lodging and gas to catch one fish, one fish over a weekend. They certainly catch more fish here on a regular basis than one fish over a weekend. Whatever floats your boat as they say. But, I despise looking through a windshield for long. Some people seem to like to drive hither and yon.

I’m not sure if the OP is dead set on the Corpus Christi, Aransas Pass Area for some particular reason other than it isn’t Houston. I lived in the Montrose area close to River Oaks side of it for several years and while it was enjoyable and if I were to ever live in the city again it would be inside the loop in that general area, but I certainly get not wanting to be in Houston anymore and fight the traffic and live with eyes in the back of your head not wanting to be a victim of crime. The whole security scene in the better parts of Houston seems to have greatly deteriorated since I was last living there in 2002. The traffic has certainly increased.

The general Lake Jackson, southern Brazoria County area has chemical and other plants and similar work opportunities, so does Corpus, We got nearby saltwater fishing, so does Corpus. I’ve never figured out what the Corpus Christi area has that we don’t have other than a quite a few more people and maybe more inshore water with sea grasses. Same basic fish, though. Is Corpus Christi area some sort of unknown, undiscovered exciting cultural and fine dining mecca to rival Houston? If so, please tell. My son’s navy buddy hates Corpus Christi, but then they were used to San Diego. My son could have stayed out in San Diego, but much prefers living in Lake Jackson over the mess and expense and general hassle of life out in of Southern California. And, he lived in Houston and then Pearland after San Diego and hated both of those places for the traffic and crime. Not that Lake Jackson is crime free, but it is certainly not caught up in the melee that is Pearland or Houston. My son was a LEO in Pearland so he has a pretty good handle on the security and crime picture.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I lived in Corpus my first job right out of A&M back in 1982 and enjoyed amazing fishing until the freeze. We could leave work at 5:00 and catch our limits wading before the mosquitos carried us off at dusk. But we had to know the spots and patterns. Anyone coming down for a weekend was at a distinct disadvantage because they didn't know the patterns. That's fishing anywhere.

The beach in Corpus is head and shoulders nicer than anything close to Houston. It was a rare day we didn't have green water to the beach, as opposed to this year in Galveston when that's happened maybe a dozen days this entire year. Blue water in CC is often within sight of the beach (and a kayak ride) while further north, it's generally a big boat (and $$$ hundreds in fuel) away.

From Corpus, hopping on the National Seashore, the beach got even nicer as you drive a 4x4 away from civilization, something that's impossible around here in Galveston.

My complaint about CC at the time is that it was a small town that punched below its weight in the social arena because of so few white collar jobs. But that only mattered back when I drank like a fish and chased women for sport. Houston was, of course, more target rich. I'm sure it's changed in 40 years, but so has everywhere else, and generally not for the better. Bottom line is I didn't realize how nice Corpus was until I left it behind.

When I lived in Thailand, lots of the expats lamented the idiot locals that lived with their faces in their smartphones. They hadn't been "back home" in so long they didn't realize that smartphone zombies were a global phenomena and not specific to idiot locals. I suspect it's the same with crime and traffic and general living conditions. The grass just looks greener or browner until you actually plant roots (and learn the fishing spots).

Living in a couple of dozen places as an adult, I've found that most people who enjoy where they're living will enjoy the next place they go. And most people who hate where they live will hate the next place they go. Perhaps for different reasons, but it's all about attitude. I never wanted to live in So California. But I absolutely loved it there when that's where my job took me. I did live differently because of the cost of real estate and heavy traffic, and fishing was very seasonal. But the benefits outweighed that adjustment in lifestyle.

Most guys who catch fish where they live will figure out the fishing in their next home.
Last edited by impulse on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

S. Corpus is a constant traffic jam both on the Loop, SPID, and especially the grid streets.
Flour Bluff property values are over the top, and will continue to out-pace the rest of S. Texas.
Corpus drivers are the meanest in Texas, except of course, Austin - settles Way Down as you head up the coast.
Josh is dead on about Ingleside/Portland/Taft - traffic bottlenecks at Corpus Christi Beach, but you don't have to go that way, except for malls and restaurants.
People leaving Rockport and liking Lake Jackson better are unlikely fishing and kayak people.
Jim's strip along TX-35S is sprawling with canal house neighborhoods.
Expect to find new development along largely untapped TX35 and FM1069.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yes, a lot about living somewhere and how one feels about is attitude. But, places and cultures vary quite a bit place to place. When I lived for years in New England, I found things I enjoyed to do, but no one would say that culture up there resembles Texas in any way, shape or form. I’m more than happy to be back here. Every place has a vibe and maybe or maybe not a person may or may not want to get into the vibe. My son lived a block from the ocean on Pacific beach in San Diego, the people there didn’t own cars or necessarily own anything beyond a surfboard and that was their choice, but it wasn’t the kind of life my son wanted. Some of his navy chums bought out in the desert east of town and they were all about the so called fabulous weather. It gets hot there, news flash! The Ocean is cold there and the hunting and fishing my son enjoys basically isn’t the same and he considered far inferior in California. The life he wanted was harder to accomplish in So. Cal than it is in Texas. The life he wants was harder to pull off in Houston or Pearland than it is in Lake Jackson. He want time at home to enjoy his home with his wife. Low traffic to fight, recreational opportunities, lower costs, more security, etc. That was easier for him to pull off here than in So. Cal, or Houston or Pearland.

I’ll never ever agree the fishing or water is better in Corpus area or that there aren’t remote beaches nearby here. Try anything below the Mouth of the Brazos for remote and uninhabited and there are 4x4 tracks running up from sargent to Cedar Cut and plenty of boat to remote beaches beyond. Slightly clearer, greener water is overrated in my estimation, but that is just me. There’s kayakable snapper areas off the mouth of the Brazos.

Security certainly factors into most people’s quality of life issues as does traffic. Cost of living, culture, recreational opportunities, crowds, it all factors in. I really can’t say what the OP places the most emphasis on, but if it is all about having slightly clearer water, then Corpus wins. If there are other factors, maybe they should look at those.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

? My nephew and wife raised their kids in Malaysia and Russia, and by law she wasn't allowed to ride her bike in Kuwait, but it ain't on topic.
loonycamp wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm ... I know alot of people will say to reconsider for this or that reason, and I need to know all of those opinions but I want to remphesize that we are really tired of battling traffic each time we go to coast on the weekend. Each and every time we are just totally spent from the entire effort just to do the things we love.
I don't think you're allowed to move to the coastal bend until you've lived in Maryland - good crab cakes.
Cote d'Ivorie is idyllic along the coast and biggest tarpon in the world.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Impulse makes some really good points.

I have lived in Flour Bluff, Corpus Christi, Aransas Pass, and currently Rockport. I enjoyed them all while living there. Flour Bluff as a college student was fun. I could fish off-times and use the Island and Upper Laguna when less crowded. Nonetheless, I think Rockport is the best destination for relocation on the Texas Coast. I could list a ton a Pros so ill just mention the Cons. Some petty theft and poverty, along with mild out-of-townees who get rowdy in the summer. Just make the move, I personally would not be in a County with a major city in it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Flour Bluff now is the Corpus version of Lake Travis.
When I was in college, you could drive around either without seeing another car.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

I think you can make it work anywhere along the Texas Coast, some of the key questions are, what do you do for work? Do you have kids? What kind of lifestyle are you wanting? I live in Galveston and you can have completely different experiences living here depending on where you live on this island. I live off the strand on the east end of Galveston, I’ve been here since 2013. Compared to living on the West end of the island it’s a completely diff experience. Being a younger single guy I enjoy being closer to the strand where all the shops, bars, and restaurants are. You really have to ask yourself some of these important questions to really pinpoint where you want to live.

Wherever it is you want to go, contact a local REALTOR, they’ll be able to help you with almost all the questions you could possibly have.

**DISCLAIMER - I am a licensed REALTOR in Galveston TX
loonycamp

Post by loonycamp »

Thank you all for such detailed and thoughtful responses. I had to sit down with the wife and go through everyone's 2cents with a map to paint the complete picture. A little about us: We grew up in Leon County and I went to college at SFA while she went to college at DBU. Before saltwater fishing became a big part my life the only fishing I did was in the Trinity River for catfish etc. So I was mainly into hunting private and public land. I honestly thought I would just stay in East Texas and get to know more and more hunting spots. But we moved to The Woodlands to begin living together and got married. She landed a job as a graphic designer and they are considering letting her work remote so we can relocate out of the Houston area. I work in the construction industry for a forming/shoring supplier in Aldine and about 75% of my life has become driving to work, back home, and either into the SHNF or the coast on the weekends. Basically I feel like I've got to pick one or the other to cut back on costs without sacrificing our way of life. Now my wife has helped me drag plenty of deer, but salt water fishing makes her so happy. She loves seeing the critters and crabs, birds, stingrays, you name it. Its a polarizing difference between hunting and fishing. Fishing is something we can completely enjoy together while hunting is almost entirely "my thing."
I've been in the same opinion as Karstopo and others that the stained water around galveston is actually kind of cool and sometimes it is surprisingly clear. Most of the great fishing successes we've had have been in East Matagorda Bay along the southern shoreline. It is about 2.5 hrs to get there one way with a quick restroom stop at the harbor... but we have done it so many times because the fishing pays off.
So I agree with many that the Lake Jackson area has immense potential for our lifestyle, but as others have put it, CC is kind of an untapped mystical mecca for us. We are excited to check out the national island seashore and go far down the beach on a regular basis.
We went on a camping trip there earlier this Spring and loved it even though we had some tough winds.
The main takeaway and the biggest factor for us is actually not something people have mentioned yet. Here in the Houston area people are always on edge, and it can be really tough to strike up meaningful conversation with strangers. This is a shell shock that we have not gotten over in the past three years because people are generally very friendly in Dallas and especially friendly in Nac. While on our vacation in CC we had so many positive experiences talking to random people. People seemed really at ease and just friendly in general. It's the kind of atmosphere one expects in a quiet mountain town in CO but at the Texas coast. Was our experience just abnormal for people who live in the CC area?
But again, the amount of 4x4 access, inshore fishing for kayaks, and yes seagrasses is alluring.
Matagorda beach has similar opportunities, but it is a vacation spot for houstonians with the money to own two houses or an rv site. Basically, we just want a home where we can build the life we truly want to share, before we have kids in the very near future. Being close to the water is our big risk, but we think it will be the right move.
Thanks guys for all of the great insight for us to consider.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Loonycamp I grew up an avid hunter. 15 years ago if you told me in 2022 I wouldn't have a deer lease I wouldn't have believed it. But I met my wife and she fell in love with salt water fishing. I always fished too growing up (freshwater only growing up) and started in the salt in the late 90's but it wasn't my go to until my wife started fishing. Now we both go fishing as much as possible and plan to retire in Rockport. I even got her to go wade fishing with me this summer.

In terms of areas I don't spend much time at all in CC. Portland/Gregory is the new place to be and is growing pretty fast. Flour Bluff as mentioned used to be the place to go but it's grown so much traffic is crazy. However south of Flour Bluff there are still some nice neighborhoods. The north side of Corpus around Robstown has some nice neighborhoods but like in all areas (including the Houston metro) there is and always will be crime. I would avoid Aransas Pass at all costs at least from downtown AP north. South of AP towards Ingleside isn't that bad but the city of Aransas Pass is a PITA to deal with. Rockport has some nice areas so does Fulton but that's getting a good ways away from CC.

I would recommend booking a room somewhere around CC and driving down early one Saturday morning and spending the weekend driving around looking at areas. If you can do it on a week day that would give you a better idea of the traffic during the week. Also talking to realtors can be beneficial.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I lived in Corpus from 1994-96. I am sure it is different now, but I lived on North Padre Island and loved it. I worked downtown and drove in every day (25-30 mins) but it was not bad because I looked at bay waters and sunrises nearly the whole way. On the weekends, my butt was planted on the Island at my place on the canals. There is a good HEB in Flour Bluff now, so that's really all you need. I would not mind retiring there, but my wife won't' do it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the number of non-sequiturs on this thread is astounding.
shoffer, I was there 10 years ago as a part-time resident, and even then it wasn't what you remember.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Ron Mc wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am Flour Bluff now is the Corpus version of Lake Travis.
When I was in college, you could drive around either without seeing another car.
Flour Bluff is such a fishy location, just lots of people too.
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

I actually moved from Houston to Corpus Christi this year. The traffic (compared to Houston) is not nearly as bad as some complain. But I live in town near Cole Park, so I don't have experience driving on the rapidly growing Southside. Driving to the Island is usually stress free, but I avoid holiday weekends and spring break.

I haven't really dialed into the Bay fishing yet. I've been disappointed with the heavy fishing pressure and boat traffic in Upper Laguna Madre and Corpus Christi Bay. Many times I get to a kayak launch before sunrise and already see a dozen pickup trucks. On the water, I've been annoyed by powerboats buzzing by and even worse, airboats. Because of the Naval Station, there also is a lot of noisy airplane traffic. To be honest, I enjoyed fishing Christmas Bay and San Luis Pass much better, and had better luck.

I tried fishing the jetties along Packery Channel, but fishing in crowds is not for me. Same for the bank fishing spots along Packery.

I do enjoy the surf fishing, but good conditions can be rare. We had a very windy Spring and early Summer, the surf was quite rough. Then we went through the "seaweed season" when it was impossible to fish in the surf. Then, we had some upwelling of dirty water from the deep, and the blue water was out of casting and kayak range. Finally the surf has settled down somewhat, and I am looking forward to Fall. I have had mixed luck in the surf, some days I catch a lot of Pompano, sometimes Jack Crevalle, more often gafftop, hardheads, and small sharks. Going beyond the breakers intrigues me, but I need a different kayak and I won't be able to carry it on top of my Jeep.

I'm into windsurfing, so that sport has been great this year. I usually get out at least twice a week.

I'm retired, I tried moving here back when I was working, but never did find employment opportunities in Corpus.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Roger Ramjet wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:29 pm I actually moved from Houston to Corpus Christi this year. The traffic (compared to Houston) is not nearly as bad as some complain. But I live in town near Cole Park, so I don't have experience driving on the rapidly growing Southside. Driving to the Island is usually stress free, but I avoid holiday weekends and spring break.

I haven't really dialed into the Bay fishing yet. I've been disappointed with the heavy fishing pressure and boat traffic in Upper Laguna Madre and Corpus Christi Bay. Many times I get to a kayak launch before sunrise and already see a dozen pickup trucks. On the water, I've been annoyed by powerboats buzzing by and even worse, airboats. Because of the Naval Station, there also is a lot of noisy airplane traffic. To be honest, I enjoyed fishing Christmas Bay and San Luis Pass much better, and had better luck.

I tried fishing the jetties along Packery Channel, but fishing in crowds is not for me. Same for the bank fishing spots along Packery.

I do enjoy the surf fishing, but good conditions can be rare. We had a very windy Spring and early Summer, the surf was quite rough. Then we went through the "seaweed season" when it was impossible to fish in the surf. Then, we had some upwelling of dirty water from the deep, and the blue water was out of casting and kayak range. Finally the surf has settled down somewhat, and I am looking forward to Fall. I have had mixed luck in the surf, some days I catch a lot of Pompano, sometimes Jack Crevalle, more often gafftop, hardheads, and small sharks. Going beyond the breakers intrigues me, but I need a different kayak and I won't be able to carry it on top of my Jeep.

I'm into windsurfing, so that sport has been great this year. I usually get out at least twice a week.

I'm retired, I tried moving here back when I was working, but never did find employment opportunities in Corpus.
You described coastal bend surf fishing really well 😂. Is it just me or are there a lot more airboats out during summer months. I run into 2-3 each time now in Aransas it seems like. They come close and seem not to care if they disrupt your fishing. I wonder if I went over and cranked up some death metal next their boat if they would like it… it sounds about the same at 645am.
doslocosranch

Post by doslocosranch »

Some good advice already shared, figured I would add my experience. In 2004 my wife and I moved back to Texas, San Antonio to be specific. We had lived out of state for about 5 years. My brother, dad, and I all now all lived in the Austin/San Antonio area, so we bought a offshore boat & trailer in 2005. First few years were in Port A, prices were high and every year just kept getting higher! We started looking for a marina to keep our offshore boat, 1st one to come available was in Aransas Pass. So in 2008 we moved the boat and trailer to AP, in the years to follow we made a ton of friends. People slowly found Aransas Pass, all made up of people who loved to fish & hunt. In 2017, Hurricane Harvey hit the area by now my parents had moved to Rockport and my brother and I were still living in San Antonio & Austin. We drove down every weekend just about, except during Nov-Jan when we went to my ranch. My wife and decided we wanted a place on the coast. Our kids were in college and high school, so being empty nesters was on the horizon. We searched from Port O’Conor to South Padre. One of our most important must haves was being on the water for immediate access to our boat or kayaks. AP ended up being our choice finding a excellent lot in a subdivision with canals so we were on the water. In 2020 we finished our home and have not regretted our decision, AP does continue to grow, every city has its pros & cons. I would take our City Council & for sure Police Chief over Corpus & Rockport in a minute! My brother also did relocate from Austin to the coast, he ended up in Rockport where our parents were, he built a home on the golf course in the country club and likes the fact more places to drive around in the golf cart and for sure more restaurants. In the end we have friends who are all over the AP/Rockport area some on the water, many are not from Copano Bay to Lamar to AP, the 1 thing for sure is we are all on the water every weekend! Happy to chat on the phone and answer or share more details.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome to the forum!

Good to hear AP has improved. Sounds like they finally were able to get sound minds in the city council. In the past it hasn't been that way. I've have a close friend who has some rent houses in AP and has had fits with the city government over the years for some truly ridiculous things.
doslocosranch

Post by doslocosranch »

SWFinatic wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:44 am Welcome to the forum!

Good to hear AP has improved. Sounds like they finally were able to get sound minds in the city council. In the past it hasn't been that way. I've have a close friend who has some rent houses in AP and has had fits with the city government over the years for some truly ridiculous things.
Thanks, been a member for awhile. Just realized it was my 1st post! 😂