My trip with Jay Watkins

wittich

My trip with Jay Watkins

Post by wittich »

If you listen to the speckled truth podcast you will hear the name Jay Watkins mentioned in nearly episode where Texas guides are interviewed. He has won more tournaments then anyone out there and he is a great teacher. I have had a goal of catching a 30 inch trout for a couple years now. Unfortunately, it did not happen on this trip for me, but I got to see Capt Jay land a 29 inch trout in the middle of the day, in the middle of August, just a few feet away from where I was casting. It amazes me how some subtle changes in the retrieve make the difference between victory and defeat.
One of the main takeways from my trip with Capt Watkins is that there are no X marks the spot in saltwater fishing. The fish are always moving depending on the conditions and the bait. You need to know the general area where fish are holding and then you need to key in on the bait activity, bird activity & slicks to have the best success. If anyone likes hunting speckled trout with lures let me know. I mainly fish around Rockport and Corpus. Most of my fishing buddies have moved out of state or have too many kids and family commitments now. Jeremy
Kitsune

Re: My trip with Jay Watkins

Post by Kitsune »

More hours on the water fishing for those types of fish is required. I like fishing for Redfish lol. I have said many times I would take a stringer of 27 inch Redfish caught on topwater over a 30 inch trout any day. My chances of catching a 30inch trout are slim. The one chance we have is the 29 3/4 my friend got in Italian Bend. We were Red-fishing and he cast toward a V wake that happened to be a trout. So I have my fingers crossed. That being said, I fish Rockport and Aransas quite often. I will be fishing Copano this winter more too. This is my kayak and these are the fish I like to catch. :wink:
Keep us updated on the hunt and good luck!
drum fun.jpg