Salt Lake in Rockport

wittich

Salt Lake in Rockport

Post by wittich »

Does anyone here fish salt lake? I bought a house in Copano and usually kayak fish by myself. If anyone wants to meet up and fish let me know.
SWFinatic

Re: Salt Lake in Rockport

Post by SWFinatic »

Congrats on the house! I've always looked at Salt lake as a better spot for drum then reds but that could be just me. Which I personally enjoy catching 18" black drum for eating so I should fish over there more. There's just so many spots to fish it's hard to get to them all.
impulse

Post by impulse »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:21 pm Congrats on the house! I've always looked at Salt lake as a better spot for drum then reds but that could be just me. Which I personally enjoy catching 18" black drum for eating so I should fish over there more. There's just so many spots to fish it's hard to get to them all.
I don't know how it is in Rockport, but here in Galveston it pays to have some spots in my back pocket for the real crowded weekends. Even if they aren't prime spots for my preferred species.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

impulse wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:48 pm
SWFinatic wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:21 pm Congrats on the house! I've always looked at Salt lake as a better spot for drum then reds but that could be just me. Which I personally enjoy catching 18" black drum for eating so I should fish over there more. There's just so many spots to fish it's hard to get to them all.
I don't know how it is in Rockport, but here in Galveston it pays to have some spots in my back pocket for the real crowded weekends. Even if they aren't prime spots for my preferred species.
Yes sir I agree it's pretty much the same around Rockport. There's still lots of areas to sneak a kayak into without a lot of traffic to deal with. The number of those areas is getting smaller though.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ok spot for black drum and reds, maybe a trout or two in the canals. Watch your tides as it is a shallow lake. Maybe Tombo will chime in, he lives nearby and fishes it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

can always count on fall tides
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

My former neighbor moved to one of the RV parks on the shallow side of Salt Lake. He and his son catch mostly drum there in their kayaks. I always wanted to fish it, but there's no public launch.
I really wish there was a small boat launch on the West side of the Copano peninsula. I used to launch my 12-foot skiff at the Rattlesnake Rd. launch, but no more. Bayside is silted in(for years), the pay launch on 188 is terrible, not to mention unsafe, and now he wants you to do a pay-site on your phone! Only if he's gonna fix the place up! The private launch on Perch Lane is unusable for my 2-wheel drive mini-truck. Oh, well. TexasJim
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

We built a home, two story yellow house on a peninsula at the end of Salt Lake Rd. Sometimes while on the computer I could see Redfish cruising the shoreline. I would go downstairs and grab my fishing rod. The three largest trout I have hooked were in Salt Lake in the spring.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Tombo,
We live in the middle of a big, crowded, crime ridden city. I look out of the second story window of my home and I can see my neighbour's bird bath filled with water. I haven't seen any redfish wakes in it, but I keep looking.
40miledesertrat

Post by 40miledesertrat »

I am a winter Texan in an RV park directly adjacent the Salt Lake. You have no doubt discovered that aside from the boat channel, the pond is very shallow. But given a couple of feet water, I have pulled over thirty inch red and black drum, flounder and trout out of it. I fish the cuts between islands in a kayak and off of a pier at the RV park. My best luck has alway been after dusk and with a quarter of a blue crab, or a Voodoo Shrimp. Both off of a popping cork to stay just off of the bottom and away from the crabs.